• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Question for the Board: What type of changes do you think the athletic dept. needs to make?

On 6/28/2018 at 5:06 PM, sr16 said:

Yeah the school needs to do better with engaging their students. They're too scared because they dont ever wanna deal with the downsides of being a big school. Only the upsides. They wanna grow. I know students hate Deb Morarity (spelled that wrong) but she is the main reason why tailgates were booted and they dont engage with greek life. ENGAGE WITH STUDENTS. Even the community. There is no community that supports Towson, on any level.. The surrounding homes dont want to see towson grow. They take for granted the economic impact Towson and their students have on the community. 

Yes! I hated Deb during my time at Towson and that was almost 10 years ago. She has single handily killed tailgating for students.

Other than Deb here is my list:

1. Make a NCAA bball run or return to FCS championship game - winning solves all problem
  2. Better football and basketball scheduling. Play local power 5 teams more often.
  3. Improve marketing of improved scheduling ^ people need to know about above
  4. Improved perks for fundraising... I donate at least $200 each year and have football tickets + pakring and all I get is a Tiger Club sticker. How about a tshirt or % off in the team store/concessions. (take notes from the Caps, I'm a Caps season ticket holder and have gotten boat loads of stuff over the year)
  5. Sell booze in the seats

12 hours ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

Yes! I hated Deb during my time at Towson and that was almost 10 years ago. She has single handily killed tailgating for students.

Other than Deb here is my list:

1. Make a NCAA bball run or return to FCS championship game - winning solves all problem
  2. Better football and basketball scheduling. Play local power 5 teams more often.
  3. Improve marketing of improved scheduling ^ people need to know about above
  4. Improved perks for fundraising... I donate at least $200 each year and have football tickets + pakring and all I get is a Tiger Club sticker. How about a tshirt or % off in the team store/concessions. (take notes from the Caps, I'm a Caps season ticket holder and have gotten boat loads of stuff over the year)
  5. Sell booze in the seats

As to point 1. this does not address the question as to what the athletic department could do to improve. Winning is something the administration has no control over.

2. Local Power 5 schools have to want to play you. You can not wave a magic wand and make those teams play you. This is something the administration has control over and an important piece.

3. I am not sure sure how much more marketing they can do. Signs on buses, ads on radio, coaches on Pressbox on TV. Maybe Baltimore is not a college sports town, but rather a professional sports town, though Oriole and Raven attendance could belie that as well. If Baltimore does support a college, it is Maryland. Terp Talk on the radio....Keith from Terrapin Times on all of the talk shows regularly. Towson is and will always be second fiddle. The goal should be not be Third Fiddle. 

4. I believe fundraising is the most critical of all of your points. If fundraising were to be successful, Towson could offered all of their student athletes a better experience, therefore getting better players, therefore meeting your goals in point 1. 

5. I don't think selling booze in the seats either brings in one more fan or keeps one fan away. 

In the end, it is all about the money, the fundraising folks need to step up and do a better job. Then we wouldn't have to raise the student fee, as we are doing this year by 5%. If we took that 5% out of the salaries of those in fundraising maybe folks might pay more attention. 

1 hour ago, Tgr4life said:

Maybe Baltimore is not a college sports town, but rather a professional sports town, though Oriole and Raven attendance could belie that as well. If Baltimore does support a college, it is Maryland. Terp Talk on the radio....Keith from Terrapin Times on all of the talk shows regularly. Towson is and will always be second fiddle. The goal should be not be Third Fiddle. 

LOL. Baltimore is not a great sports town for anything. Unless a team is REALLY REALLY REALLY good.  

Crotch Piece said about something for donors.. that would be nice. they used to give cool items back with waddell, replica of SECU, replica champ ring, football season review DVD.  That has stopped, but doubtful it would make a difference.  

Bottom line is we need to win and put an excited product out there.  Both the styles of football and basketball are obsolete and frankly boring. Sorry, it needs to be said.  

They need to let people, and mostly students know that there are games.  I would said 75-85% on campus have NO clue when football plays a home game.  They used to do black and gold fridays back at the tail end of when I was a student, but again that was with a competent AD who thought big and not in the SOT mindset that we (along with a ton of posters on here) are under. 

1. " Winning is something the administration has no control over." -- They definitely have some control over this whether it be just hiring. 

2. Also radio / tv / billboards dont work anymore. They need to get better at online marketing. 

3. Not selling alcohol definely has an impact. The turtle tent helps but not everyone can go down there. Selling beer in stands would help IMO. 

11 minutes ago, sr16 said:

1. " Winning is something the administration has no control over." -- They definitely have some control over this whether it be just hiring. 

2. Also radio / tv / billboards dont work anymore. They need to get better at online marketing. 

3. Not selling alcohol definely has an impact. The turtle tent helps but not everyone can go down there. Selling beer in stands would help IMO. 

To a degree you are correct on point number 1. It is more on the coach than the admins. But, as you point out, the admins hire the coach

You are more correct than I on point 2.

IMHO, Tailgating would solve the booze issue for football. Not necessary during the game. Not a fan of alcohol in the venues as I dont think it makes a significant attendance difference. 

3 hours ago, Tgr4life said:

As to point 1. this does not address the question as to what the athletic department could do to improve. Winning is something the administration has no control over.

2. Local Power 5 schools have to want to play you. You can not wave a magic wand and make those teams play you. This is something the administration has control over and an important piece.

3. I am not sure sure how much more marketing they can do. Signs on buses, ads on radio, coaches on Pressbox on TV. Maybe Baltimore is not a college sports town, but rather a professional sports town, though Oriole and Raven attendance could belie that as well. If Baltimore does support a college, it is Maryland. Terp Talk on the radio....Keith from Terrapin Times on all of the talk shows regularly. Towson is and will always be second fiddle. The goal should be not be Third Fiddle. 

4. I believe fundraising is the most critical of all of your points. If fundraising were to be successful, Towson could offered all of their student athletes a better experience, therefore getting better players, therefore meeting your goals in point 1. 

5. I don't think selling booze in the seats either brings in one more fan or keeps one fan away. 

In the end, it is all about the money, the fundraising folks need to step up and do a better job. Then we wouldn't have to raise the student fee, as we are doing this year by 5%. If we took that 5% out of the salaries of those in fundraising maybe folks might pay more attention. 

Marketing still needs a ton of work. I was apart of the marketing team that contributed towards the attendance increase. We focused on the little things, I never felt that the media route was effective unless you are running a promotion. We filled the seats by effective campus promotion and going to all of the big events in Baltimore and setting up booths and kid activities.

I also think that selling alcohol will help contribute towards attendance and tons of revenue for sports. Thats apart of giving that complete sports experience.

• Like 1

Please tell them they need video content to push on Facebook and Instagram.. Like for example with Football right now. We have some good home opponents. keep people informed that they are working hard to play them