• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Summer Hoops Report

I don't get too many chances to take some time off and watch a little hoops in the afternoon. The men's hoops team is using the summer workouts to work on mainly skills along with strength and conditioning.

So before I get to some quotes from Pat Skerry, let's talk a little about the roster, which is mostly new. I can only go but what I've seen for two hours on a Wednesday, where they did mostly skill work.

*Dennis Tunstall. Up to 230 but coming off surgery so he did some drills but not really any 5x5 or shooting drills. He's one of those guys who can't keep the weight on so they'd like to see him play in the 220s, which would be about 10-15 pounds more than they he played at last season. He can't play center at under 210 or even under 220. That's basically what he is because his offensive game is pretty raw.

*Al Thomas. Up to 270 with a little more agility. His shot looked good. That flat jumper where he shoots from his tip-toes. I've seen it before. His aggression doesn't generally translate to games but we don't necessarily need him to be very good for 20 minutes. More like 15. That could help. That's because...

*Nakye Sanders is eligible. Not saying he's JB or Moto but he'll help. He has a strange release over his head but it does go in. Seemed to be very hard on himself so he expects a lot which is good. I think expectations will be 10 and 8 but it's way too early to tell. He's much, much more mobile than Al and I can see him score in a variety of ways on the block. He's 6-8, 235 so he's big enough to play the 5 and defend it.

*Jordan McNeill is also coming off an injury. His shot looked good but for him to start at the 2 or the 3, he has to be more consistent. He can score in transition but he's more of a shoot-and-catch guy in the halfcourt. Everybody knows that he has to be set up. That could happen with the improvement at the point.

*Quentin Drayton looks good in terms of changing his body. He's a lot bigger that 6-4, 205 but still not sure if there is enough game to be in the rotation. Maybe I'm wrong but they have McNeill and Brian Fobbs ahead of him at the 3. I don't think he handles it well enough for the 2. His shot is pretty good but needs more motor. But again, I have to see more 5x5 to really judge guys like him. Now the real newcomers.

*Love Fobbs. I know he has some work to do but at 6-4, 215 and is pretty long and athletic, he's what we need at the 3. He can score, he's a lefty, and is physical. Good shooter from deep. Like most jucos, just needs to refine things but he'll be in the rotation at the worst. They didn't get him for 2 years to sit.

*Nick Timberlake. This kid has talent but I think at times he looks tentative and other times very explosive. For him to start, he has to be more consistent as a shooter. He's not as good as Fobbs or one of our point guards as a pure shooter. He might be the best athlete on the team. Again, I want to see him 5x5 in transition. 

*Allen Betrand is a defender and solid offensive player. Didn't get a real good read on his offensive game. He's not a consistent enough shooter to start but his defense and length will get him time. Another good athlete. Very good. I think he and Timberlake will be very good in a year or so. Not sure how good they will be this season. 

*T.J. Howard. I have to see him run the team more. It's early. But man he can flat out shoot it. He's pretty strong and quick. But that release is so soft. He was hitting the top of the key threes like they were layups. No knock on Brian Starr but there's really no comparison as a shooter. Now overall as a point guard? Not sure yet.

*Jakigh Dottin. Built like a truck. Has lost weight at 6-2, 205. Seems to be in control but not the shooter that Howard is. Not really close. But he has personality to run the team. I can see him play a little with Howard off the ball. 

*Yagi Selcuk. Love this kid's game. We've never really had a four-man who has this type of game in a long time. Can face and shoot. Can drive and feed. Can drive and lay it in. Great instincts for the game. Can he defend? Adjust to speed of the game? Too early to tell but what a feel for the game.

*Solomon U. is about 6-7, 230 and pretty raw. Super athletic. Strong. Can shoot it some. Can he defend? Rebound? Seems to like contact. His upside is pretty incredible for a mid-major big. But again, not sure if it's this year or next year.

Here are the comments from after the workout
Skerry on last year
We're at the point where 18 wins is certainly not a bad season. We expected to be bettter. I think we've had a terrific offseason so far. We're on Week 6 and we haven't had anybody late so now I told them don't be that guy. This group has a chance for a real good sense of humility. Better communication. Lot of work to do. I like some of the intangibles. You have to have talent and intangibles to get where we want to get to and we've been there at times. We just want to focus on the group that is here. I'm excited about the group that is here.

On 10-game winning streak
Our expectations were high but to win there are things you need to do, day-in, day-out. If you don't do that, then close losses have a way of hurting you. You reap what you sow. That's something that hurt us. Last year, was the best we ever shot the 3. We were 151st in the country. I'd like to continue to make strides in that area. Where we were really disappointing in the second part of the season was our defense. We ended up 105th in the country in free throw attempts, which isn't bad but in the years before that we were 12th, 4th and 7th. So the type of team I like has that toughness to get to the foul line. To drop that much, showed that we lacked toughness at times to get to the line, to get stops. To be good, I think it always starts with those type of things.

On recruiting
We had a scholarship late and we took two junior college players. We knew we needed a point guard (TJ Howard) and we got a good scorer and shooter in Brian Fobbs, who has to learn some things. But he has the body and tools. Late, we were also able to get a transfer (J.Adams), who was important to us. We were able to get a guy we really wanted in Nick Timberlake, who has a chance to be a very good player. We had a frontcourt opening and we're excited about Yagi Selcuk. He's different type of a player. We've hadn't had a big guy who is that comfortable passing and shooting facing the basket since Jerrel (Benimon). Not comparing the two of course. Depth, minutes. Too early to tell. I like having a deeper roster. Our roster for various reasons got thin last year. That probably took a toll on us, especially defensively. We have to rectify that.

On new players
Nakye Sanders has a chance to be really good. He moves as well as an frontcourt player that we've had and is athletic and aggressive. He's 6-8, 235, and a terrific rebounder and motor. His skill development is really good. He has to stay out of foul trouble. He has pretty good intangibles. Last year, he rated the highest in the program last year in our psychological testing from his peers. 

Quentin Drayton has worked hard and has gotten better. They key for Q to have success is to defend, rebound and shoot open shots. If turns it over, then we're not going to have the success he wants. He's gotten stronger and better. 

On new backcourt
I'm excited about our two new point guards. T.J. Howard is stronger and more athletic than we thought. He has an incredibly soft shot. He's dymanic with the ball. He has really good talent. He can play off ball screens. Jakigh (Dottin) and him can play together. Jakigh is an absolute quarterback. The best thing is that he's vocal and plays incredibly hard. He'll take care of it and do what he's supposed to do. Has a charismatic personality. Those two are having really good summers. Jakigh is 6-2, 210. He can guard bigger guys (so Howard can play off the ball).

On wings
We have five wings. Jordan (McNeill) is back. He was available to play two weeks ago (after surgery). He's not going to have to play the point but can he be the guy that can make open shots for us, have a vocal presence, has to have a measure of toughness as a fifth-year guy. He also has to defend and not turn it over. Make shots. 

Brian Fobbs is a physical specimen, at 6-4, 215. A lefty who can score, shoot. He's really athletic. He has to take care of the ball. He has a motor. He's a gym rat and loves playing. I'm excited about what his upside is.

Nick Timberlake has a very good upside. Probably more of a combo guard with size at 6-4. He has to learn terminology and adjust as a freshman. He's a big-time athlete. He's going to get better and better shooting it. He's tough and he can really pass the basketball.

Allen Betrand is going to be good. He's used to winnining. He's won state titles. He has the size and length that reminds you of guuys at VCU and Old Dominion back in the day. Long and rangy. He's gotten a lot better as a ballhandler. While they're young, they've won a lot. Jakigh has won a couple of state titles along with Allen. Nick is an older guy from prep school. I like the pieces but I know we have to get better in the offseason. Those 5-6 weeks are key.

Up front
We have three veterans. Nakye has experience. Al Thomas and Dennis Tunstall are our two best defensive players. Dennis is up to 230 and if we can keep him in the 220s, he's going to have a big year for us. He's like a mid-level Clint Capela-type. Al is playing really well right now. He's having a good summer. He's a tank and is playing with more confidence. We think he could have a big year. It's in him. We have two freshmen that don't look like freshmen. Yagi is different at 6-7, 240 and skilled with a good feel. Solomon is going to be a good player. He has a high motor and is a great athlete. Is tough. His adjustment is to take care of the ball, playing good defense and playing to your strength as youg game continues to grow and get better. They are also off-the-charts students and off-the-charts work ethics. This group has workers. They are good with all the intangibles. We have historically had teams that have gotten better throughout the season-last year we didn't. We need to improve individually and collectively.

On schedule
I'm excited that we have a true travel partner with the league (JMU) but don't like starting on the road again. That seems to be a given for the middle schools. Our non-conference schedule should be good for us. We have tough neutral games, tough road and home. I tried to get as many good teams as we possibly could. Scheduling is hard to get people to play home-and-homes with us. We've always tried to play good schedules. We have to continue to get better. We have to control how good we are or not good. This should be a group where people from the outside are going to say we're young, but we don't buy into any of that. We have competitive guys that are working hard. We'll be deep. They have a good sense of humility. I'm excited about the group. They have rejuvenated me a lot. We have a long way to go. I can't harp on it enough about the work ethic, humility, the intangibles. If we're going to be good, that's where we have to be good.

Keys
We'll figure that out in terms of roles. Last year, we stopped guarding. Our league was outstanding defensively so that creates some challenges. The one team in the league that was committed defensively was Northeastern. They weren't picked high and I give them all the credit in the world. For us to get to where we need to get to, that's where it starts. With that said, we don't put in our defense in during the summer. We spend a lot of time on strength and conditioning. I want to move better. I want to spend a ton of time on skill work-shooting, passing, ballhandling. Our ability to talk. That's something that hurt us. If you can't be a good talking team, it's tough.

On moving the tournament to D.C.
I think it's great. We're going to push like heck to play a regular season game or two there next season.

• Like 2

Informative post. Really looking forward to see all the new guys. I think we’ll be better at the point with Howard/Dottin vs Starr. I’m skeptical we’re going to get much out of Thomas, but I’d love for him to prove me wrong. Really, at this point, my bar for him is pretty low-15 to 20 minutes a game, 5 points & 5 boards a game,with 5 fouls to give. I’m more excited about Sanders & Tunstall (hoping he can play at 220 lbs). Also hard not to be excited about Solomon (big upside) & Yagi. If Yagi can face up & drive, he might turn out to be a real steal. 

Can’t wait to see Betrand & Timberlake & Fobbs. In particular we really need Fobbs to pick up some of the scoring slack.  Just as my expectations are low for Thomas, so too are they low for McNeill. If he averages more than 5-6 ppg I’d be pleasantly surprised.

With the addition of guys who have been winners like Betrand & Dottin, & the subtraction of certain members of last year’s squad, this upcoming squad should be fun to watch, & night surprise a few people along the way. 

I think they will be fun to watch and wait to you see Juwan Gray next season at 6-8, 210. Super athletic and long with a 3-point shot. I think ultimately Sanders is the 5, Fobbs is the 3 and Howard at the 1. Big questions at the 4 (Tunstall?) and 2. We'll see in October who is ready to go. Timberlake? Betrand? Solomon? Yagi? Dennis?  Glad these kids get these reps in the summer to prepare them for the fall. But I don't know if you can go wrong with Yagi at the 4. He's that impressive on the offensive end but whether he can guard more athletic and smaller 4s is another question. If he was as athletic as Solomon, he probably wouldn't be here. 

Big Al is very important against big dudes and big lineups. He defends decently but you can't put him with Tunstall because you're playing 3 on 5. I just think he might be better coming off the bench. Maybe he'll supply more energy. (And won't have to lose the opening tip). 

The other impressive thing is how strong these kids are. Of course, they need some time in the weight room. But not a lot. These are not kids that need 20 pounds of muscle like Tunstall needed when he came in or McNeill (all redshirted) or Ingram last year. They will not be pushed around. Not saying we got pushed around last season but there was a lack of toughness. But the perception of a young team is that they can be taken advantage of. Here is my guestimate of weights (getting good info), a little different from roster. 

TJ. Howard (6-2, 185)
Jakigh Dottin (6-2, 206)
Nick Timberlake (6-4, 190)
Allen Betrand (6-3, 200)
Jordan McNeill (6-5, 196)
Brian Fobbs (6-4, 215)
Solomon U. (6-7, 230)
Yagi S. (6-7, 240)
N. Sanders (6-8, 232)
A. Thomas (6-9, 270)
D. Tunstall (6-8, 230)
Q. Drayton (6-5, 210)

Also, forgot to mention how nice these kids are. Not saying the last squad was filled with a bunch of prima donas (ok maybe a few), but very impressed with Fobbs, Dottin, Howard. Honestly, I'm just sitting there and a few guys walked up to me and introduced themselves. Not sure that's happened in the 25+ years I've covered the team. Maybe they thought I was somebody more important than just some blogger. But still, character is important after seeing what happened last season. There also seemed to be a division between the sophomores and seniors. Some jealousy. Can that happen here? Sure but if it wasn't for last year, I wouldn't be discussing personalities. I'd be just talking about their games.

Nice to hear how nice the kids are. Look, we all want them to go 30-0, but it’s also important to remember they’re ambassadors for the school. I have no clue how they’ll perform on the court, but it already feels like a breath of fresh air to me, when compared to last year’s team (which included a pouter/quitter in Ingram, EK yelling at everyone, Morman kicked off, & prima donna ZM)

I’m glad to hear PS talking about pushing to play a game or 2 in the 19-20 season in the new DC arena. In the thread about the tournament moving there I actually posted my hope that we would play a game there, against someone like American or GW. Obviously, Skerry read my post 😉

Mat, you mentioned a transfer named Adams-is that the kid from USD who’s sitting out this upcoming season?

Love this.   Thanks.  

Humility and intangibles was stressed more than once which says a lot about what happened last season.  

Lots of ifs but man is this gonna be a fun season to watch and see how we improve. 

Again I must point out...  yes it’s about getting to the dance ultimately but our program is still in a really good place and we must acknowledge that.  We continue to get better talent and although some of it hasn’t always stuck around we are still getting it.  We couldn’t always say this in the past...  we’d get a player or two then some fillers. 

Maybe I’m the eternal optimist being that I live in the bubble that is San Francisco but I truly believe our time is coming.  Skerry is the right guy!

It still is a great time to be a mid major...  let’s not forget that.   Yes at times we’ve become a minor league for the bigger schools and yes the CAA had no tv deal but we are on the map.  Wichita State does it.  Gonzaga does it.   Loyola Chicago did it.  Why can’t it be us!!??

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

Nice to hear how nice the kids are. Look, we all want them to go 30-0, but it’s also important to remember they’re ambassadors for the school. I have no clue how they’ll perform on the court, but it already feels like a breath of fresh air to me, when compared to last year’s team (which included a pouter/quitter in Ingram, EK yelling at everyone, Morman kicked off, & prima donna ZM)

I’m glad to hear PS talking about pushing to play a game or 2 in the 19-20 season in the new DC arena. In the thread about the tournament moving there I actually posted my hope that we would play a game there, against someone like American or GW. Obviously, Skerry read my post 😉

Mat, you mentioned a transfer named Adams-is that the kid from USD who’s sitting out this upcoming season?

Sorry, I meant Juwan Gray. Tough to remember all the new names, esp. when you are approaching a special birthday in a few weeks. Really like that kid. Gives us a more modern 4 in that he can stroke it from 3 and handle the ball. By next season, he should be big enough at 6-8, 220? to handle the rigors of post D. Imagine playing him next to Tunstall in a zone press.

It's the summer and we can be positive. When the games start, who knows? I expect this team to be picked at or near the bottom of the conference. That's the way it should be when you lose four starters and the lone returning player is not very productive. Expectations should be realistic but that doesn't mean that they won't be good or at least competitive. Adding Sanders is the biggest move because he's proven and then Howard and Fobbs should be ready for D-1 ball. But after that, I have no clue how the team will respond. I guess that's the fun part, not really having a clue.

Great post mat1992. It was very informative and I loved the player by player breakdown. I  gained insight on each player. 

If this team can learn to play solid defense collectively as well as play together on both ends of the floor this summer, 

they can have a very good successful season. I am very much looking forward to it. On another note, I want to travel to the

Bahamas on a mini vacation and watch our team complete. Anyone else thinking about going? Do you think Towson will 

offer any type of travel package or put out travel specific info in the coming months?