• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Tigerfan

Football

Football attendance is awful for a school with 22,000 students. I blame it on administration with the tailgating issue and engaging the 9,000 residential students.

We only draw 5,000-6,000 a game. You have to question why we spend millions on the program. Division 111 sounds more reasonable unless they change the tailgating rules and do a better job with getting the students to attend the games.

7 hours ago, Tigerfan said:

Football attendance is awful for a school with 22,000 students. I blame it on administration with the tailgating issue and engaging the 9,000 residential students.

We only draw 5,000-6,000 a game. You have to question why we spend millions on the program. Division 111 sounds more reasonable unless they change the tailgating rules and do a better job with getting the students to attend the games.

ummm okay? kind of random thread to start.

yeah i think we all want to have more people come to football (and basketball) games and i agree most of the short coming fall on the administration and their lack of ability to build a powerful athletics and education brand. but for a school of our size the goal should be to fix those issues not downgrade to D3.

I personally HATE that we try to only brand ourselves as Baltimore's school.  The focus should be beyond Baltimore and Maryland. 

9 minutes ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

ummm okay? kind of random thread to start.

yeah i think we all want to have more people come to football (and basketball) games and i agree most of the short coming fall on the administration and their lack of ability to build a powerful athletics and education brand. but for a school of our size the goal should be to fix those issues not downgrade to D3.

I personally HATE that we try to only brand ourselves as Baltimore's school.  The focus should be beyond Baltimore and Maryland. 

I would set time standard though for fixing it. We can't keep spending millions of tax payer/tuition expenses for a 5,000-6,000 turnout. The tailgating and poor attendance is on 5 years.

Not sure why we can't adapt the same policy with tailgating as our neighbors(Penn State, Maryland West Virginia and Maryland). The one 6 pack of beer rule is the first one that needs to disappear.

Edited by Tigerfan

On 7/4/2018 at 9:05 AM, Tigerfan said:

Division 111, is that 108 worse than D3?

Obviously we can't move to Division III unless we move the entire program there. We've gone through the non-scholarship era, which was brief and forgettable. We dropped the program in 1990. Improve the team first, then deal with tailgating. Students loved tailgating so much that many didn't even come to the games-even when we were good.

Better play is important, of course, but we need to sked more home games in the first month when the weather is good and students are excited about the start of the year and promise of a new season. Opening at home at the end of September is too late (especially if we're 1-2 -- or 0-3 -- by then).

• Like 1

This is realistic and makes sense....

11 hours ago, TigerFan54 said:

Better play is important, of course, but we need to sked more home games in the first month when the weather is good and students are excited about the start of the year and promise of a new season. Opening at home at the end of September is too late (especially if we're 1-2 -- or 0-3 -- by then).