• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

First Football Practice update

5 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I updated the QB battle up top. I’ll hopefully have an update after Saturday afternoon. Too early to mention D-Line without Zain HU and the new judo DT. The Oline is adequate, second string a concern.

Other stuff impossible to answer after one early practice. Other questions answered up top. 

Seriously, does anybody read the recaps of the practices? If not, I’ll just post the comments or find something better to do on a Saturday morning.

Read all of them, just trying not to get my hopes up because if this team stays healthy I think they can be very dangerous. 

And I mentioned Chris Clark in the post "as not practicing due to minor issues, should be back next week."

Sorry if I sound like I'm attacking you but WTF to everybody else. If you think this team is going to suck, fine. Don't contribute, don't got to games, wait until you see if they are good. I get it, back-to-back 5-6 season stink even if the starting QB has been out the last two season.

So it's a new leaf. If you aren't excited about Rick DeBerry, at 6-1.5, 245 pounder with 4.58 speed that can play on the edge or on the inside. He can cover wide receivers in the slot, tight ends or rush the passer. I'm not expecting him to be Lawrence Taylor right away but the dude is smart. He graduated in three years at Oklahoma and moved on because they tried to move him to H-Back.

If we get Yeedee to play this season, instead of next year, we have that powerful RB we haven't had since Vito. Maybe he's not Vito, but he's pretty damn good. A 2* guy coming out of Philly who had offers from the likes of Buffalo, Navy and Boston College. A legit FBS back. So is Shane when healthy. Kobe could be one day. We need those three guys along with Platt and we'll be fine. Even with a pretty good offensive line. 

I'm not that worried about the receivers. With Clark and Myles Wright, we have two big targets that can run. That will open it up for Jabari Greenwood, Jabari Allen, Gallahan, Richardson, Dorsey, Greaves, and Leatherbury, who I said looked great Saturday. I don't know if we have a number one receiver. We have a lot of pretty good number twos.

I can't force people to get excited about Towson football. But I'm telling you, barring major unforseen injuries or suspensions, this team is going to be better. 

I'll be at Saturday's practice too. I'm considerably more encouraged about this team's prospects than I was at the spring game. Along with all the players named in Mat's roundup, I'm looking forward to seeing how Aidan O'Neil and Pat Toomey (who I assume will punt) are coming along. O'Neill has been a rare find for us -- the kind of consistent placekicker playoff teams need, and I feel like we've wasted his talents these last two years. Also want to see how the new long-snapper is doing. We'd taken Will Hayes' steadiness  for granted, and that's an important role someone needs to fill.

6 hours ago, TigerFan54 said:

I'll be at Saturday's practice too. I'm considerably more encouraged about this team's prospects than I was at the spring game. Along with all the players named in Mat's roundup, I'm looking forward to seeing how Aidan O'Neil and Pat Toomey (who I assume will punt) are coming along. O'Neill has been a rare find for us -- the kind of consistent placekicker playoff teams need, and I feel like we've wasted his talents these last two years. Also want to see how the new long-snapper is doing. We'd taken Will Hayes' steadiness  for granted, and that's an important role someone needs to fill.

What time is the practice? It’s open to season ticket holders, correct? 

Matt sounds upset. Think it's best to go in with low expectations and see what happens. So we don't know who is the QB as of yet?

2 minutes ago, tualum said:

Matt sounds upset. Think it's best to go in with low expectations and see what happens. So we don't know who is the QB as of yet?

We are only into the 2nd week into camp with pads. I've already said that Flacco looks good, Stover decent and Miller hasn't worked out with the ones yet but Ambrose is not going to name a QB until it's Morgan week.

I'm only pissed because I feel like I'm wasting my time with these updates and getting no response for three days. 

During the summer, I get out of the habit of checking the site regularly. That's probably true of others, and partially explains the lack of/slow response. I value the updates, and I'm sure others do too.