• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Flacco leads Tigers over The Citadel, 44-27

7,323 attendance. I did a great job of setting the line at 7,500 in a different thread!!! I’m off to Vegas baby 

I hope we get a bigger crowd next week vs Stoney Brook, which is setting up to be a pivotal conference game with each team coming in with only 1 loss

Ok, a few random observations:

There aren’t enough superlatives to describe Flacco’s play. Love his pocket presence. That leap over a defender to score the TD was awesome, as was his 77 yard scamper.

I like our receiving corp, but would like to see TE Clark become more integrated into the offense.

Shane Simpson looks good at RB. I also like his pass catching dimension. Would like to see a little more of Yeedee at RB though.

Kudos to the offensive line, which I thought  overall did a nice job on pass pro & opening some running lanes

Ok, so the D gave up 380 yards on the ground, but Citadel ran the ball 70 times!!! If you run 70 times, you’re going to accumulate some yards on the ground, & you’re bound to break 1 or 2 long runs. We’ve now faced 2 teams, Morgan & Citadel, who have collectively set the forward pass back by about 75 years. We’re lucky the Citadel missed a wide open receiver for a TD early in the game.

Speaking of Citadel, I don’t like the fact we even scheduled them in the 1st place, notwithstanding we got an impressive W. They run that gimmicky triple option, which none of our other opponents do. Plus, our D has got to be dog tired, after defending against 70 running plays. I hope we escaped without any injuries. 

Huge game next week at home vs Stoney Brook, which rallied from a 21-0 deficit today to beat Villanova. We’re 3-1 & 1-0 in conference, while they come in at 4-1, & 2-0 in conference. I hope the weather is nice & that we get a bigger crowd than today. Student section wasn’t even full today, and, as usual, many of them were AWOL in the 2nd half.

It was probably a dull game for the students. Hopefully they return to see Flacco and company because The Citadel's offense probably put some people to sleep. Seems like many where there for just the free swag and the tailgate but they have to at least be impressed that we have a pretty good team. 

We also had about hundreds of football alums that returned to the campus probably for the first time since they graduated or first in a long time due to the 50th celebration. I think you have to give the athletic dept. a lot of credit for how they handled this. The Bull Roast was something that we should have had a long time ago but is hopefully becoming an annual thing if not once every two years. There are guys that caught up with one another for the first time in decades. That's a shame but we have to move forward and try to correct the mistakes of the past but not repeating them.

The 50th documentary was first-class. Even though it seemed a bit disorganized, having all the football alums on the field was cool along with the old unis. Having Coach Albert, Runk and Gordy on the field at the same time was amazing. There's talk of practice fields which need to happen to get this program moving forward but it takes financial help from the alums.

Now as for the on-the-field Tigers, these guys played well coming off the bye against a very difficult team to play against. Thankfully, we won't have to play another option team because as RA said, facing a team that runs it 70+ times is tough on your defensive guys, who have to recuperate. We only play four linebackers with Tedder, rotate eight defensive linemen and rarely sub the secondary. So these guys were taxed.

But defensive questions are still there. I'm not going to judge the pass defense because when they passed, we were shocked, even on the last drive of the first half. But still need to be better against the run and get more penetration on running plays and against the pass. Still shocked that we don't even run blitz that much. Maybe we're saving some stuff for conference play but I doubt it.

What more can be said about TF14. That kid did not have a great night passing but he found away with his legs and his arm. Those runs were incredible and he set the record for most rushing yards by a Towson QB. Not a shocker because we didn't really have a running QB until Gary Worthington, when that failed option offense was attempted. Chris Hart, Connor Frazier, and Grant Enders could all run. Enders is very similar to Flacco, but he had T-West so he didn't need to run. I think Tom is a faster and has a better arm. He might take a few more risks throwing it. But how can you not love a QB who can extend plays to not just run but also throw.

I think he makes the O-line better though he had a lot of time back there. A very good showing by the line but still concerned about short-yardage. Whether it's play-calling or ignoring fullbacks, it's something that could be a concern in a close game. With our D going up against some tough offenses, we don't want to settle for short FGs or fail to convert on 4th downs.

All in all, great day, terrific weekend and keep it going. 

Just now, TSU88 said:

Ok, a few random observations:

There aren’t enough superlatives to describe Flacco’s play. Love his pocket presence. That leap over a defender to score the TD was awesome, as was his 77 yard scamper.

I like our receiving corp, but would like to see TE Clark become more integrated into the offense.

Shane Simpson looks good at RB. I also like his pass catching dimension. Would like to see a little more of Yeedee at RB though.

Kudos to the offensive line, which I thought  overall did a nice job on pass pro & opening some running lanes

Ok, so the D gave up 380 yards on the ground, but Citadel ran the ball 70 times!!! If you run 70 times, you’re going to accumulate some yards on the ground, & you’re bound to break 1 or 2 long runs. We’ve now faced 2 teams, Morgan & Citadel, who have collectively set the forward pass back by about 75 years. We’re lucky the Citadel missed a wide open receiver for a TD early in the game.

Speaking of Citadel, I don’t like the fact we even scheduled them in the 1st place, notwithstanding we got an impressive W. They run that gimmicky triple option, which none of our other opponents do. Plus, our D has got to be dog tired, after defending against 70 running plays. I hope we escaped without any injuries. 

Huge game next week at home vs Stoney Brook, which rallied from a 21-0 deficit today to beat Villanova. We’re 3-1 & 1-0 in conference, while they come in at 4-1, & 2-0 in conference. I hope the weather is nice & that we get a bigger crowd than today. Student section wasn’t even full today, and, as usual, many of them were AWOL in the 2nd half.

Clark is hurt. You can tell he's just not right and he was only used in limited plays. Simpson is no. 1 and Kobe is No. 2. Yeedee had one nice run and then got shut down near the goal line. There's only one football so I'm fine with those three. I don't Yeedee gives you the pass catching threat that the other two give you.

Not sure about injuries. I think N. Cook got banged up but got back in there. I didn't really notice any Towson players down on the field about at least 5 or 6 Citadel guys were down.

I wish we didn’t have to play Citadel again next year, but nothing we can do about that now. It was almost galling watching their slavish devotion to the run, even in obvious passing situations. If we had to schedule a SoCon team, I would have liked it to have been one that runs a more traditional offense that we’re used to seeing.

Also, 1 critique of the play calling. I wasn’t crazy about the time on the goal line we brought Stover in & get stuffed on 2 straight plays. Maybe though that was after TF ran for near 80 yards, and just needed a breather

Watched the game on the CAA app on Roku.  Really enjoyed the game, although the presentation had technical problems.

Flacco is certainly exciting and I would think a 44 point performance might bring some students back.

The unsportsman-like conduct penalty after TF's touchdown leap is mystifying -- excessive celebration? If so, that's absurd.

Great win, extraordinary performance by Tom. He's a tough kid, but I do worry that when he runs so much he risks injury. (Face it -- we wouldn't be nearly so good without him.)

Aidan O'Neill is steady-Eddie. I think he's had only one miss this year.

One last comment -- and I hope someone from TT.com sees this: the game story must have been written by someone with little knowledge of football, and even less knowledge of the English language. The sampling below is an embarrassment to an institution that calls itself a university. (The second example makes me wonder if the writer was even at the game):

"The Tigers broke out of inside its own five with a couple of Flacco rushes, but got stalled around going 28 yards, punting back to The Citadel."

"Jacob Godek converted a 30-yard field goal to make it 7-3 Towson, the eventual halftime score."

"The Citadel grinded into the clock with a 17-play drive with all rushes, getting back midway through Towson territory."