• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

First Basketball Practice report

We're a little over a month away from the first basketball game against UVa. Thought I'd take a look at the team for the first time since the summer. There wasn't much to look at over the summer as they were working on skill level. This time, I did notice improvements and more confidence from the younger players.

But without staying late enough to talk to PS, it's a little early to talk about lineups. I did see a first unit of Thomas, Nurkeye Sanders, T.j. Howard, McNeill and Brian Fobbs. The second unit was a mixture of Tunstall, Drayton, Jacquill Dottin, Nick Timberlake, Allen Betrand, Solomon U. and Yagi Selcuk. 

So you get the gist of this. We might end up starting the older guys until the younger guys are ready. Don't love the Sanders/Thomas frontcourt which is old school big. Sanders will have to score 12-14ppg and has the looks of a big-time rebounder. Fobbs loves the left wing (he's lefty) and is built like a tank. Just concerned about turnovers with him. His ballhandling needs work and well, we now Jordan isn't the greatest ballhandler but hopefully last year's experiment with him at the point will help him at the 2. 

I think it's just going to take time. That starting unit won't be able to score like last year's but they should be able to defend. Fobbs has the size at 6-4, 215 to play the 3, rebound and defend. Jordan is a pretty good defender. We know Thomas can defend the post. The bigger question is whether Sanders can defend those stretch 4s at 6-8, 235. The other issue is who will come off the bench and what will the rotation be. I think Tunstall is the first big off the bench and then probably Solomon U. Yagi is going to be really good but I think it's going to take some time to learn our defensive system. About when to switch and when not to.

Dottin to me is the most improved player from what I saw. He looks a lot more confident in his shot. He can take guys off the dribble, which is something I don't really see right now from the others. You can't just rely on three-point shooting and one player who can score in the post (Sanders?). You need a guy who can create. Howard is a terrific shooter but he's not lightning quick and he just needs to set his teammates up when he's not open. Fobbs can fill it up but not sure yet if he can use that big body to get to the basket like Zane did. In some ways, they are pretty similar body-types except he's playing of the ball, whereas well, Zane had the ball from tip to end.

I do like Betrand and Timberlake but at times, they seem a little timid on offense. They don't want to make mistakes. It's tough to tell about Betrand because he has the look. The long arms, he's pretty big already thought he's listed at 180. Think he's close to 200 but he's already has the defensive potential. His shot looks much better in drills but in more game-like situations, not so much. Tough to tell how much they will use him but I can tell our second unit (if that's the real 2nd unit) is much more athletic than the starters. Solomon, Betrand, and Timberlake are big-time athletes. So is Tunstall, esp. now that he's getting healthier. Maybe that will be more of a pressing unit.

Timberlake is the x-factor. His shot looks better and while he needs to continue to get stronger, his speed and athleticism is going to make him a potentially very good all-around player. Sometimes, he's unselfish to a fault. He has to get used to contact when he goes to the basket and not shy away from it. Nobody is going to give you open dunks in college unless you have are open in transition.

Confidence is everything. Belief is everything as a shooter. I wish had that when I played many years ago but I didn't. It's why I played point guard so I could feed guys that wanted buckets. The shot is getting there. I know mid-range games are frowned up so you need a dribble drive game. Once he gets in the paint, he can elevate over guys so he needs kind of a go to move, a crossover to get by people. I think that will come but maybe not this season.

More later..

Appreciate & look forward to the basketball updates. I ran into PS at the football game yesterday. Basketball season is right around the corner

I think this is a likeable team but we need to be patient with this squad as does the coaching staff. Will be fun seeing the growth of the freshmen. Let's face it, the freshmen from last season are gone save for Drayton, who has improved some but not sure he'll be in the rotation. He just doesn't stand out enough. We're going to have to ride Howard, Sanders and Fobbs along with McNeill and Thomas. 

I hope those second-teamers improve in a hurry, because Thomas and McNeill haven't shown me much over three years -- and Thomas' put-back inability makes him an offensive liability, while McNeill's tendency to telegraph passes makes him a turnover liability. I'd rather see young guy with potential make mistakes than veterans  with low ceilings make mistakes. (I'd be ecstatic if I'm proven wrong on this.)

15 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

I hope those second-teamers improve in a hurry, because Thomas and McNeill haven't shown me much over three years -- and Thomas' put-back inability makes him an offensive liability, while McNeill's tendency to telegraph passes makes him a turnover liability. I'd rather see young guy with potential make mistakes than veterans  with low ceilings make mistakes. (I'd be ecstatic if I'm proven wrong on this.)

There's no way I start those freshmen against Virginia. They have to earn playing time and right now, the older players are more ready. I'm with you on Thomas. He has some talent but he rarely displays it in games. He's put together physically as well as any big man we've ever had but doesn't play up to that. So yes, offensively, you really can't depend on those two seniors but they do supply good defense and some leadership. Jordan as a starter isn't going to average 20ppg. I'd be happy with 10ppg but you know he's going to give effort and not try to do many things out of his comfort zone. The offense has go through the three juniors in Fobbs, Howard and Sanders. I have no clue right now which freshman is going to come off the bench and become the igniter. But sure, you can play all the freshmen you want and you have to live through the countless mistakes, the turnovers, missed assignments on defense and the lack of poise on the road in hostile environments. Ultimately, those guys will play this year because as you mentioned, Thomas is a 20-minute at most role player and Jordan has never really started. 

But when you talk about McNeill's telegraphing of passes, he was the backup point guard last year. He's not playing that position (Thank God) this season and we'll play mainly on the wing. So the ball won't be in his hands as much unless he's in shooting position. Even if they go to a third point guard, I'd rather have Betrand or Timberlake bring it up than Jordan. They have more playmaking ability. We just had no other options last season and there was zero faith that Prophete could get the job done.

So if we start those five against Virginia, I'm not upset. I'd rather go with the known than the unknown. They'll have plenty of time to figure that out and if Betrand or Timberlake are ready, go with them. If Solomon or Yagi can play, put Sanders at the 5 or even Tunstall to give us more athleticism. 

Last year we got off to a blazing OOC start, & things went south in conference play. I’m kind of hoping it’s a bit opposite this year-that we perhaps struggle early with all the new guys, but that hopefully we begin to gel come conference time. It’s going to be very interesting to see which newcomers assert themselves & take on bigger roles as the season moves forward. Realistically, anything over a .500 finish this season would be a success in my book, with an eye towards building towards the 2019-2020 season. 

We have a long ways to go in terms of practice. Things change. But you have to see how these kids play in 5x5 scrimmages with refs and then against other teams (they will be closed). A lot of these kids will have to play significant minutes right away. Actually, they all might have to play minutes. Some will play more than others. I think Solomon likely gets more minutes and if we had 13 guys, maybe Yagi would redshirt. But we have 12 with Gray sitting out. Hell, he would be the starting 4 if he was eligible.

I want to see Betrand and/or Timberlake push McNeill. That will make the team a lot better if those guys can show they are as good if not better. Right now, they aren't there yet.

On 9/30/2018 at 2:19 PM, mat1992 said:

Confidence is everything. Belief is everything as a shooter. I wish had that when I played many years ago but I didn't. It's why I played point guard so I could feed guys that wanted buckets.

I always believed every shot I took was going down.  Problem is, I had high belief and low results...

I think the non-con season will be like a spring training for this team -- seeing where all the pieces fit and what sort of rotation Pat can work in.  I mean, let's face it, the season is the conference season and conference tournament.  That's just the reality for us mid-majors.  There's plenty of opportunities to get some good experience against quality teams in the non-con and let's see what these young pups have to offer.