• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
etiger

No Respect in the polls

I think this is the key game of the season. A loss means you have to win another Villanova-type road game somewhere. You have to basically go unbeaten until you face JMU. That's very difficult to do with Elon coming up on the road and Delaware is not a gimme. So yes, win this and you can start dreaming big. We're not there yet but I think you say if you beat #13 Stony Brook and start out 4-1 that you can quote Eric Weddle by saying "this ain't the same old Tigers". 

If you watch this team, there's potential on defense, but they are nowhere near where they need to be. Too much given up on the ground and in the middle of the field. Just four sacks. Not enough pressure from a four-man rush. But this game is more about stopping or at least slowing down the run. We can't give up over 150 yards on the round or more than 5ypc and expect to win this game. We have to make it 3rd and long, just like The Citadel, when it was 3rd and short, they converted almost all of them.

The O-line still has to improve the run blocking though the lack of a fullback I think hurts on short-yardage situations. But I feel as long as you have TF14, he gives you a chance to win every game until the last one. At this point, until proven otherwise, nobody in the CAA is beating JMU.

I think you summed it up pretty well. A W Saturday takes us to 4-1, & would be our 2nd W vs a ranked conference opponent. It would mean we could go 4-2 in our last 6 games & still make the playoffs. Lose Saturday & we realistically have to go 5-1 to finish the year to make the playoffs, no easy feat considering we still have to play JMU & Elon, not to mention UD & Maine. So, to some extent, Saturday is a crossroads game 

I agree that we need to take this one game at a time and the ranking should take care of itself. I'm a little worried about our defense too, but have a lot of confidence in the offense. It reminds me somewhat of the Crowley-Vinson team in 1993, which could score on almost every possession, and the 2011 team, which was capable of the same. 

On a related topic: I urge everyone to watch "The First 50" documentary. It's terrific. As I mentioned on another thread, I really appreciate how it doesn't gloss over the dark times when football almost bit the dust, and the focus on Wardell Turner near the end is very moving. Hats off to everyone involved. (That includes you too, right Mat?)

56 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

I agree that we need to take this one game at a time and the ranking should take care of itself. I'm a little worried about our defense too, but have a lot of confidence in the offense. It reminds me somewhat of the Crowley-Vinson team in 1993, which could score on almost every possession, and the 2011 team, which was capable of the same. 

On a related topic: I urge everyone to watch "The First 50" documentary. It's terrific. As I mentioned on another thread, I really appreciate how it doesn't gloss over the dark times when football almost bit the dust, and the focus on Wardell Turner near the end is very moving. Hats off to everyone involved. (That includes you too, right Mat?)

Havent seen it yet but the link is here -> https://towsontigers.com/news/2018/9/28/towson-football-chronicled-in-the-first-50-documentary.aspx?path=football

1 hour ago, TigerFan54 said:

I had a small role. I provided the tapes from that 1990 forum to save football l. It finally paid off to be a hoarder. Jess did a great job putting that together.

1 hour ago, TigerFan54 said:

Agreed.  That was outstanding.  The only things I would have liked to have seen more of was clips of Vinson and Meggett, given that along with TWest, they're in the pantheon of Towson RB's.  I also think that they could have capped off the entire run from almost dead in '90 to the 1-AA championship game in '13 with clips of games like the Lehigh loss in the first appearance in a playoff game (to slam home the D3-D2-D1 playoff run) to TWest running for a million yards vs. EIU to the Drive at the Red Menace and culminating with the title game in Frisco.  But it was a great lookback to the history of the program and it's pretty remarkable that we've only had 4 head coaches in 50 years of the program.

True -- there was a brief focus on Dan Crowley, but none on Tony Vinson, who was just a force on that team. And Meggett wasn't mentioned at all (I think he was even cropped out of a photo -- or his head was cropped out -- showing other key players on those '87-88 teams. 

Well, they didn't have a lot of film available and with 50 minutes, you can't show everything. Do you really need to ask why they didn't mention Meggett?

As for Vinson, he helped save Towson football. Just by his presence show that we could beat a program like Delaware. So sure, he should have been mentioned.