• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Chris Datres

TOWSON 52, STONY BROOK 28 (story up)

https://towsontigers.com/news/2018/10/6/football-full-team-effort-leads-no-23-tigers-to-second-top-15-win.aspx

The beat goes on...

The offense can do pretty much anything it wants.  It's amazing the difference a good offensive line and a strong QB can make on a team.  That, and no injuries, of course.  Flacco can make all the throws and his mobility is such a big confidence boost to the o-line because they know that he can bail himself out if they miss an assignment on protection.

This win should get us to at least #20.  Nova lost again today so they'll probably rise to 14 or 15. 😉

• Like 1

The buzz wasn’t as big as the last game because it was the first game. I’m just excited for the win, go tigers!!!! Let’s just enjoy the ride and see where it takes us. 

We may move up one spot. Behind stony, nova, Maine uri and Delaware.    

Toms ability to keep plays alive is a game changer. A couple of bad turnovers mad did dicey for part of the second but team responded 

I am very impressed by the team and staff this season. Night and day.  Keep it up next week

This team has now scored 44 or more points for three straight games for the first time in the history of the program. I think Flacco is ok. Even though I knew he was the starter in summer camp and thought he could really play, I didn't see this coming. 

When you turn the ball over twice, commit four penalties, miss an easy field goal and are still up 21 at the half? That's about TF14 but you also have to credit the receivers. Maybe it's the influence of Justin Harper as the new WR coach, but we are catching the ball and making plays after every catch. We're just not going out of bounds or going down. Leatherbury has improved as much as any receiver from his first year to his second that I've ever seen in 29 years. That's not to say he was bad last season, but was small and beaten up. Now, he's breaking tackles with his strength and elusiveness. Hell, Rodney Dorsey can't even get on the field and he played a lot last year. as a true freshman. Maybe they redshirt him. Jabari Greenwood plays but barely gets targeted. He caught 50 balls last season. But you add Chris Clark, who is still limited, and you see the potential he has when he's close to being healthy. You can't really defend him. Add Jabari Allen's size and hands and Gallahan's improved overall play and this might be the best offense we've ever had. Even without T-West.

But how do teams defend us? Do you just stay back and play coverage? Flacco will run all over teams. Stony Brook took away his run (37 yards). So he'll just pass to receivers underneath or extend plays to allow guys to get open. Or we can run the ball out of the Pistol. Is Flacco going to keep it? Is he going to give it to Shane or Kobe? With Leatherbury get it on the end around.

The defense is getting better. They hit, they wrapped, they tackled, the punished. Very impressive and sure, we're going to make mistakes in the middle of the field. Shuman didn't have a great night. He got beat on the deep ball, but they play as well. But again, if you can stop the run, you can't beat them. We held the Seahawks to 104 yards rushing and that's what won the game aside.

Also, what can you say about Shane Simpson. Spectacular run to open the game with a nice hole, made very good decisions on punt returns and give Toomey credit on a nice punt to pin them inside the 5 when the game was getting too close for comfort.

Let's also credit the offensive line. Tom has amazing scrambling ability, but they keep giving him lots of protection too. I do wish they could open more holes for the running game, but that may come. 

Elon's upset of JMU was a shocker -- I didn't think the Phoenix were that good, but they must be.

I see where Trevor Knight is back in the UNH lineup and threw four TD passes (admittedly against  weak Holy Cross team). But I want Stony Brook to drive a stake through their hearts next week.