• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Chris Datres

TOWSON 52, STONY BROOK 28 (story up)

There are reasons for the low attendance.  The administration needs to focus on this and can never give up because the program depends on it.  Theoretically if no one showed up the program would end as we know it.  The program at the 1-AA level and people's jobs depend on solving this problem.  And it is a real problem. 

This may not be the entire reason however I have said this before and the level of overall just general harassment by the contracted parking lot security is just outrageous.  I brought someone this week to a Towson game for the first time and he just couldn't believe it.  His daughter goes to JMU so it was somewhat embarrassing to have a game this big and to have essentially no student attendance.  I was tailgating in Lot 13 and I estimate security engaged us at least 3 times.  No particular issues but just the overall starring, questioning and inquiry by the contracted security is just odd.  I went to a pro game the week before and you just don't experience anything like what someone experiences at Towson.  I have been consistently going to games at TU since 2005 and I can't recall a single incident in what would be thought of as the alumni lot during this entire time.  What in the world are they policing?  At one point I observed a security person coming over to a parked pickup and looking in the bed of the truck.  It was an empty bed, but just strange. 

These contracted for security folks are not behaving like this without instruction and an overall policy from the administration.  It is hard enough to get fans to the game.  You just can't have such a harassing security presence, especially in the alumni lot and not make a negative impression to new fans.  It will not keep me away from going to the games but I can only imagine how the security comes down on the average student.  I would imagine many students made the cost benefit calculation that it simply is not worth risk tailgating at the game.

23 minutes ago, omniland said:

There are reasons for the low attendance.  The administration needs to focus on this and can never give up because the program depends on it.  Theoretically if no one showed up the program would end as we know it.  The program at the 1-AA level and people's jobs depend on solving this problem.  And it is a real problem. 

This may not be the entire reason however I have said this before and the level of overall just general harassment by the contracted parking lot security is just outrageous.  I brought someone this week to a Towson game for the first time and he just couldn't believe it.  His daughter goes to JMU so it was somewhat embarrassing to have a game this big and to have essentially no student attendance.  I was tailgating in Lot 13 and I estimate security engaged us at least 3 times.  No particular issues but just the overall starring, questioning and inquiry by the contracted security is just odd.  I went to a pro game the week before and you just don't experience anything like what someone experiences at Towson.  I have been consistently going to games at TU since 2005 and I can't recall a single incident in what would be thought of as the alumni lot during this entire time.  What in the world are they policing?  At one point I observed a security person coming over to a parked pickup and looking in the bed of the truck.  It was an empty bed, but just strange. 

These contracted for security folks are not behaving like this without instruction and an overall policy from the administration.  It is hard enough to get fans to the game.  You just can't have such a harassing security presence, especially in the alumni lot and not make a negative impression to new fans.  It will not keep me away from going to the games but I can only imagine how the security comes down on the average student.  I would imagine many students made the cost benefit calculation that it simply is not worth risk tailgating at the game.

I never find the same harassment on the other side. I would send an email to TL or Dan Crowley. This is not the athletic department. It’s the school’s responsibility. If the security is being overbearing on the non-press box side, then maybe that explains some of the awful attendance issues. I still think weather is the other because it looked like it was going to rain all day.

Just win.

The security at tailgates is absolutely ridiculous. Last year at homecoming we got hassled in the alumni lot about "drinking games" several times. On one of those occasions, someone was simply pouring a beer into another person's mouth. We were not carrying on or impeding anyone's ability to enjoy the tailgate. If those of legal drinking age are accosted and hassled over nothing, I can't imagine what it's like being a student in Lot 14. 

Yes the security guards do hassle students and they fear risk of citations - why? when they can just go to the bars all day and get $2 bud lights and rails lol. The school shuts down house parties with noise ordinances. So instead of being at a house then walking to the game. you are driven up to the bars. 

2 hours ago, omniland said:

Agree fully.  the SAFE people are ridiculous.  They used to hound our tailgate in years past, 10-20 people with a tent, grill, cornhole, and beers.  We were all alumni and well over the age of 21.  I have been carded by the SAFE people numerous times, (ironic part is, I am the oldest of the group). 

The school is wasting a ton of money on SAFE and the numerous parking attendants that literally lead you to a spot.  This wastes a ton of time and money as they can just direct you to whatever lot and you pick your own spot!  Slows down the entire process.

Someone with a line to TL should send him this thread and the attendance one.

SAFE management is absurd at the games. I go with a large group each year to homecoming and we almost didn’t want to come back this year due to the constant harassment from them. I’ve never seen another school baby students like this.

I graduated in 2012 and was a part of the Greek life tailgates. They were awesome and really helped bring students to games. 

Send this to Kim Schaetzel as well. She has the power to change things. A Letter to the Editor at The Towerlight can’t hurt.

2 hours ago, Tiger12 said:

Someone with a line to TL should send him this thread and the attendance one.

SAFE management is absurd at the games. I go with a large group each year to homecoming and we almost didn’t want to come back this year due to the constant harassment from them. I’ve never seen another school baby students like this.

I graduated in 2012 and was a part of the Greek life tailgates. They were awesome and really helped bring students to games. 

Yeah that was my year too. My friends were addicted to our tailgates, I was able to get 5-6 people to come with me to every game.

I can confirm, as a freshman at the tailgates I felt seriously unsafe by the SAFE security. They Screamed at everyone to dispurse Lot 13 as soon as kickoff was about to happen. They aggresively hound people if God forbid they brought a cooler with more than a six pack in it. The demographic of people we need to attract to the games are underage students so why intimadate them in their first few weeks at their new school in a new environment? SAFE certainly is putting a bad taste in anyone's mouth who tries to support the program.

The parking lot at Towson is not West Baltimore, we don't need a militarized police force to harress the community. It's clearly not working.

We need to be more accommodating the female student population to attend games. Towson is 70/30 girl to guy ratio. Bring the ladies and the men follow. If all the beautiful girls at school will be uptown on Gameday then what incentive does a 19 year old guy have to choose to get bullied by SAFE in Lot 13 over going to the bars where all the beautiful people are hanging out? 

Tim, Kim, Spiro, Rob whoever can see this please for the sake of the program you need to cut ties with SAFE security they are scum!