• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Chris Datres

TOWSON 52, STONY BROOK 28 (story up)

A few random observations:

1-the attendance was embarrassing;

2-I said to a guy in the stands that TF reminded me of Fran Tarkenton today, with his scrambling to keep plays alive;

3-A healthy Shane Simpson is a real boost to the O;

4-our receivers did a great job today of catching balls & getting YAC;

5-As TF54 posted earlier, kudos to the O-line;

6-I thought by and large the D played well. SB only had 1 meaningful sustained drive the entire game;

7-lets take care of business vs W&M so that we end the homestand 5-1

I wasn't surprised the attendance took a dip. We had about 1,000 alums and their families last week that just came for the 50th celebration and many probably will never return. Or maybe they come once a year. The students were given something free, but that wasn't enough to entice as many as the previous week. And then you have the weather. If the kids can't get a tan along with some nice swag, they aren't going, even though it never rained. It was also an extremely boring game last week thanks to that option offense. Makes no sense that you would get 4,300 for SB, a conference opponent and 7,300 for The Citadel but that's Towson. 

You would think with one of the best offenses in the nation, and Joe Flacco's little brother, that you'd get thousands of Ravens fans coming here (though I know they all don't love Joe). There's no Ravens home game this weekend but why not spend a few bucks (lot less than Ravens games) on TF14 and the resurgence Tigers.

But does anybody know? It's barely covered in the Sun the week before. The local all-sports station doesn't have Towson guests anymore though we do some advertising. We get some local TV coverage, but you know what hurts the most? No regional TV coverage. No NBC Sports Washington (Comcastsportsnet), no NBC Sports or any other cable channel. FCS is just an afterthought and not being on TV or just sparingly does not help our brand.

I agree to alot of the comments. Attendance was really bad.. It is such an interesting dynamic, the issue they have with bringing people out. 

But what a dominant dub. Another nod to the O line for going to work, Tom Flacco just putting himself on the map. Seems to be having fun. But yeah, top down from the fcs to the caa to the university, pr not strong... Ill probably come back for the JMU game. 

21 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I wasn't surprised the attendance took a dip. We had about 1,000 alums and their families last week that just came for the 50th celebration and many probably will never return. Or maybe they come once a year. The students were given something free, but that wasn't enough to entice as many as the previous week. And then you have the weather. If the kids can't get a tan along with some nice swag, they aren't going, even though it never rained. It was also an extremely boring game last week thanks to that option offense. Makes no sense that you would get 4,300 for SB, a conference opponent and 7,300 for The Citadel but that's Towson. 

You would think with one of the best offenses in the nation, and Joe Flacco's little brother, that you'd get thousands of Ravens fans coming here (though I know they all don't love Joe). There's no Ravens home game this weekend but why not spend a few bucks (lot less than Ravens games) on TF14 and the resurgence Tigers.

But does anybody know? It's barely covered in the Sun the week before. The local all-sports station doesn't have Towson guests anymore though we do some advertising. We get some local TV coverage, but you know what hurts the most? No regional TV coverage. No NBC Sports Washington (Comcastsportsnet), no NBC Sports or any other cable channel. FCS is just an afterthought and not being on TV or just sparingly does not help our brand.

WTOP sports guy did a shout out to Tom and did the "Fight on Towson Tigers, Fight on Black and Gold" bit during the local sports update on Saturiday morning with the upcoming local game times. That is a DC station calming Towson as a local team.....very sad Baltimore can't seem muster any support.

The sports guy on WBAL radio on weekday mornings is a TU grad, & didn’t even mention the game on his Friday sportscast. Even though BAL broadcasts Navy games, I don’t see where it would have killed him to mention that there was a game on Saturday between two teams ranked in the top 25 nationally. 

Huge credit to Rob Ambrose. Is he officially calling the offense again? Did he pull it back from his brother?  Great balance and execution.

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves but is there any chance that ESPN does Game Day from Towson next month? The last couple of years they do College Game Day from an FCS campus the weekend in which most FBS schools play their cupcake game prior to rivalry week.  They’ve been to NDST, JMU and others.  Depending on our record come mid November, maybe they come in for the JMU game?  Maybe the Flacco angle would be compelling for them?

ATL, there’s zero chance of Game Day coming here, in my opinion. 

Its true they’ve been to NDSU & JMU, but those are college football hotbeds with rabid fans.  Apathy rules the day here unfortunately. We had the biggest home game in 5 years this past Saturday & I believe the “announced” attendance was like 4,600. It didn’t seem to me like there were that many people in attendance-maybe 2,500, give or take.

Game Day would have to go to central casting to get extras to fill in the background, to play the roles of TU students 

I don't want to take away from this team or the win. This is a topic that will unfortunately never go away though good, bad, great or mediocre. Tailgating is not being ruined by Deb Moriarity anymore. There was a real nice student turnout against The Citadel. I could go through the litany of excuses why they didn't attend including the weather and last week's borefest of a game featuring the dull triple option. So all the bells and whistles that they added including a DJ in the parking lot to make it more student-friendly either didn't work or the kids just weren't going to come due to the weather. Or they just don't freakin' care. The 300 or so that did deserve a medal I guess.