• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TheGoldCrotchPiece

What is up with Attendance & Game Promotion?

Hell. When I was there from 2003-2007 we sucked yet had way more students come out than now. T-Unit was awesome back then and tailgating was a blast. Deb Moriarity set us back light years. 

Debbie Moriarty is to blame. Students attendance dropped on average 3,000 a game with the tailgating rules. We use to get 8,000-10,500 for

Family weekends, Homecoming , Morgan games, and Delaware. We would have had 8,000-10,000 for the first 2 games if the tail gaiting was not ruined for students.

The commuter college  excuse ended a while back. Towson has 10,000 living in University owned and non University owned apartments(Colony, Towson Woods,Donny Brook, University View,etc..)

Of the students that do come to the game, I would say only about 1/4 of them stay for the game. Many watch the lame halftime show, and leave right after the ESPN song.

Find a way to get them into the stadium, and find a way to KEEP them in the stadium..... perhaps a giveaway at the beginning of 4th Qtr.

The more students that some to the game, the more enjoyable for us old farts (as long as the students aren't jerks).

I have said, over the years, give darned tickets away. Church groups, little league ..... whatever ..... just get people exposed to the environment and hope they like it.

On a different note - please stop blaring a 7 second music snippet between every play. It is very annoying !!!!!!!

4 hours ago, TSU86 said:

Of the students that do come to the game, I would say only about 1/4 of them stay for the game. Many watch the lame halftime show, and leave right after the ESPN song.

Find a way to get them into the stadium, and find a way to KEEP them in the stadium..... perhaps a giveaway at the beginning of 4th Qtr.

The more students that some to the game, the more enjoyable for us old farts (as long as the students aren't jerks).

I have said, over the years, give darned tickets away. Church groups, little league ..... whatever ..... just get people exposed to the environment and hope they like it.

On a different note - please stop blaring a 7 second music snippet between every play. It is very annoying !!!!!!!

The music is annoying but I'd rather that something instead of no noise, especially when the opponents have the ball. Maybe we shouldn't play music when were are on offense, but that hasn't bothered us this year. 

That's a good idea about doing something in the fourth quarter or maybe third quarter. You can't force people to stay if it's a blowout. But leaving at halftime is fine as long as you get them in the stadium in the first place. 

another thing, we cant fix now, but the stands are SO far from the field. It takes away from the atmosphere. 

As much as our attendance sucks, the team was pretty terrible the past 3-4 years and played a boring brand of football. We also arent the only ones at the 1AA level with difficulty drawing.  Attendance has been on the decline year after year.

Good points. I do agree with scheduling better competition for home games if possible. Who wants to watch the Citadel and Holy Cross? NDSU, EKU, would definitely be more appealing. Other problem is that we are now just getting better after a couple of years of mediocrity. Most students probably don't even know we are nationally ranked due to the absymal past seasons. You have to win consistently at this level to generate momentum and interest. 

All good points, when you say 6k on campus I’m pretty sure that is maximum capacity currently ? Last few articles I read was that converting the Marriott into dorms and new apartment construction in Towson was solely meant for Towson students. If you expand the radius 5 miles from campus I would bet we have a huge percentage in off campus housing of which I wouldn’t consider “commuters”. College football in general is having a tuff time with attendance, look at other CAA boards they are having the same discussions. It really comes down to gameday atmosphere/marketing. That’s why the Ravens are doing everything possible to make the game day atmosphere better than sitting at home and watching TV. There was a significant drop off in marketing after the first game. What did they think was going to happen? Same discussions since I graduated in 07 but we actually had people coming to the games and tailgating. 

37 minutes ago, tualum said:

Good points. I do agree with scheduling better competition for home games if possible. Who wants to watch the Citadel and Holy Cross? NDSU, EKU, would definitely be more appealing. Other problem is that we are now just getting better after a couple of years of mediocrity. Most students probably don't even know we are nationally ranked due to the absymal past seasons. You have to win consistently at this level to generate momentum and interest. 

Again, Sorry, but I would rather 5,000 fans at Unitas for a win then 7,500 for a loss against NDSU, JMU, Wofford, JSU, SHSU. (honestly most Towson fans, students, and alums, know about Colgate, Holy Cross, Morgan than the upper level FCS Teams. Just because we do on here doesn't mean the common fans know) And the goal is to make the playoffs.

NDSU isnt coming to Towson for anything less than a 2 for, if that. Travel expenses for those games would make the game even more of a loss. (most of the big time FCS schools are in the middle of nowhere)

There arent many known FCS teams in the Northeast with a following for a reason.. pro sports.  

14 hours ago, Tigerfan said:

I would blame Debbie Moriarty and the Athletic Director for the decline in attendance.

we all would haha make a statement w/ her