• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TheGoldCrotchPiece

What is up with Attendance & Game Promotion?

9 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

I know it's a football topic right now and we're still 6 weeks away from tipoff, but I'd like you to take a crack at the basketball problem next.

That one is easy because we all play in the same division 1. -> NCAA / NIT Tourney appearances. 

3 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Welcome to the board 2018. We have alums from around your age to probably around 60. The same issues that we have now were prevalent in a smaller scale many years ago. 

We did win from 2011-13 and had pretty good crowds until the Deb-Debacle that crushed tailgating. The losing didn't help matters but it started with that incident. I don't think the opponent matters. We had a very good student crowd against The Citadel and they disappeared against Stony Brook. Wouldn't you think some of the Long Island students would show up for that one? I guess.

I thought the tailgating issues were supposed to be mostly fixed. More fan-friendly, student-friendly with a DJ and I guess that wasn't enough. We'll see what happens on more of a fallish day this Saturday with the weather getting colder.  

The opponents DO matter. Even the most recent grad from here suggested UMD and other schools would be more attractive. Myself and others have no interest to traveling to games to watch Holy Cross and Morgan State play us at home. The same is true in basketball (look from the past success in scheduling some better teams, e.g. Temple, and others..). The Citadel was a different scenario due to the celebration of the football program. Why do you think no one showed up the following game? lol. But yes, they do matter but the issue is HOW to get these teams to come and play us (if possible at all...)

7 minutes ago, tualum said:

The opponents DO matter. Even the most recent grad from here suggested UMD and other schools would be more attractive. Myself and others have no interest to traveling to games to watch Holy Cross and Morgan State play us at home. The same is true in basketball (look from the past success in scheduling some better teams, e.g. Temple, and others..). The Citadel was a different scenario due to the celebration of the football program. Why do you think no one showed up the following game? lol. But yes, they do matter but the issue is HOW to get these teams to come and play us (if possible at all...)

Screw going to the Swamp next year! Just have them come up to Auburn Drive and play us!  No good FCS team is going to schedule a game in which they aren't going to be paid, or have a high shot of winning. In an 11 game season you need to go 8-2 in FCS to make the playoffs. Would a Jacksonville State, or Chattanooga, or Montana risk losing a game and a ton of money traveling out here.  A top level FCS team in earlier September is not going to sell out Unitas. (unless its NDSU and it will be 1/2 green and gold)

We played Stony Brook, because we were obligated to..

Actually if you check our media guide Morgan State games have historically drawn some of our biggest crowds post-Unitas expansion (10k+ in 2011), it drew the biggest crowd ever at Unitas prior to its expansion (I think mid-80s) so we should keep playing them. I mean we’ve only ever filled 11909 one time and that was when we had a lame-duck interim prez who let the SGA subsidize tickets for our first FCS home playoff game. Two years later we drew like 4850 when we began our run to the title (to be kinda fair it was around thanksgiving). 

Regardless no fbs school is coming here, no good fcs team is going to travel here, and we are at the whim of who the CAA decides to have come here. So talent level and opponents aren’t a flexible thing. Maintaining the Baltimore rivalry has historical precedent, and, beyond that there’s little that can be done.

44 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Screw going to the Swamp next year! Just have them come up to Auburn Drive and play us!  No good FCS team is going to schedule a game in which they aren't going to be paid, or have a high shot of winning. In an 11 game season you need to go 8-2 in FCS to make the playoffs. Would a Jacksonville State, or Chattanooga, or Montana risk losing a game and a ton of money traveling out here.  A top level FCS team in earlier September is not going to sell out Unitas. (unless its NDSU and it will be 1/2 green and gold)

We played Stony Brook, because we were obligated to..

Why I don't really go back and forth here.. lol. You didn't address the issue about how to get better teams here. No one has expectations of getting LSU or Florida coming here. You could possibly look at lower to mid tier FBS teams or high quality FCS teams. But again, it would be difficult to do so based on a myriad of things. Point is competition does draw...

59 minutes ago, tualum said:

Why I don't really go back and forth here.. lol. You didn't address the issue about how to get better teams here. No one has expectations of getting LSU or Florida coming here. You could possibly look at lower to mid tier FBS teams or high quality FCS teams. But again, it would be difficult to do so based on a myriad of things. Point is competition does draw...

"lol"-- there is no way to get better teams.  FBS teams, even the Slum Belt and Conference USA will NEVER play an FCS away game.  

I gave you perfect reasoning why no quality OOC FCS teams will come..  

Also, we do have high quality FCS teams come.. Stony Brook, JMU,  Delaware, UNH and guess what we dont draw.

• Like 1

Teams do help draw , but in my mind it’s a culture issue at Towson. How does the athletic department get kids to come to games and make it fun? When I was there 04-07 they consistently drew large student crowds who atleast stayed through halftime and we played lesser opponents than now. . Let’s face it, we aren’t scheduling better than what we have this year so we need to figure something else out. Tailgating did deter many from coming out and tailgating -what every other college football school does. Also a police state does not help Tim Leonard. Yes let’s make sure things do not get out of hand but let college kids be college kids and enjoy tailgating. Just my own opinion. 

• Like 1

Quality of opponent is really not the issue. As stated, we played garbage teams 10-15 years ago and students were involved and coming out. I really think the tailgating is the main problem here. Frats used to run tailgating and it was a blast. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TuTiger10 said:

Teams do help draw , but in my mind it’s a culture issue at Towson. How does the athletic department get kids to come to games and make it fun? When I was there 04-07 they consistently drew large student crowds who atleast stayed through halftime and we played lesser opponents than now. . Let’s face it, we aren’t scheduling better than what we have this year so we need to figure something else out. Tailgating did deter many from coming out and tailgating -what every other college football school does. Also a police state does not help Tim Leonard. Yes let’s make sure things do not get out of hand but let college kids be college kids and enjoy tailgating. Just my own opinion. 

Thats the difficult part, riding that fine line.  I personally saw lots of students during my time get way out of control at tailgates. They all belonged to one group and most if not all RARELY made it inside the gates. Maybe they got other students to come out and they wandered into the stadium.  Its difficult to please both sides on this.

• Like 1

Like to point out something that's become an issue for those who DID make it inside the stadium, @ least in the last couple games which I came to:   Too Few Game Programs!

Had to search all around at the start of the SBU game for one. After I asked about 10 people on both sides of the stadium, somebody on the north side had a box w about 8 left.. I was lucky then, because ditto for the Bill & Mary contest. I was seated for 10 minutes; the national anthem had just played. Since I gave my last hard-won program to a fellow TU alum @ my work, I now wanted another one; the search commenced. But after checking on both sides of stadium w another ton of people again this time, apologies instead of a game program...

Is that how it goes at (relatively) big college football games these days? @ Navy? Villanova, Kennasaw St or Maryland?.. I feel that's messed up..

Edited by Moleman