• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TheGoldCrotchPiece

What is up with Attendance & Game Promotion?

I've researched and written and changed some of my opinions over the years (ask Mat) about athletics at Towson, but this isn't a new thing. This school has gotten screwed over so many times because no one comes to games. I remember being laughed off the old boards after the FCS Championship game when I correctly predicted that it wasn't going to matter. That being said, I love this team, helping the staff out in recruiting, and hoping that I will one day be wrong. The fact of the matter is no one gives an eff over the types of marketing we do (even if it is creative). I was working with a student on a paper today about how we got our 3rd highest crowd ever to a morgan game in 2011, and how it could be done again (and it can)...Then she asked what happened since, and I didn't even know how to answer with anything other than Towson is Towson sometimes.

On 10/8/2018 at 8:10 PM, Tigerfan said:

I would blame Debbie Moriarty and the Athletic Director for the decline in attendance.

But the questions we need to be asking are: 

• How did we allow one person to yield so much power by turning into the no fun police? And how do we stop it as alumni? 
  • How do we have an AD that seemingly has no concept to what marketing is and has no power at all in university affairs.
  • What is our forum to voice these concerns other than complaining here?
    • Do they send out a season ticket holder survey? Not to my knowledge but a basic thing to start.
    • How about an open feedback session.

6 hours ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

• How did we allow one person to yield so much power by turning into the no fun police? And how do we stop it as alumni? 
  • How do we have an AD that seemingly has no concept to what marketing is and has no power at all in university affairs.
    • Do they send out a season ticket holder survey? Not to my knowledge but a basic thing to start.

Correct on all these points.  How can a rogue VP go directly to the media without consulting the Council?  All marketing should be focused on the students for the remainder of this season.  Students first, alumni and then community.  Take the marketing dollars that are being used for the Baltimore community and use that for student $ giveaways.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

They do sent out season ticket surveys that includes "game day atmosphere and events"

There's a confluence of events that has historically worked:

1. The team has to be good (we have that)

2. There has to be a rabid and engaged students (we don't have that)

3. Administrative support for lightly "policed" tailgating (we don't have that)

The problem with this is that:

1. only happens from time to time and is difficult to sustain when you are counting on 18-22 y/o kids to stay healthy, improve, and make good choices. 2. This ebbs and flows from season to season almost regardless of how good we are, because 3. Administration often takes control of these types of groups, corporatizes them, is unwilling to be flexible, and generally looks down on football.

To complicate the problem, when 1. 2. and 3. happened historically bad things resulted. If you think tailgating is bad now, just know that it was BANNED completely from 1986-1995 because students burned a float that the marching band was on during Homecoming. When tailgating came back it was again curbed because students threw full beer cans at cop cars. When it was allowed to go toward what is needed a few years ago a student face planted off a truck in the parking lot. Admins live their lives in complete fear of being sued, that is what their job is. Is it annoying yes, and I don't agree with it, but it is how they are trained to operate. This is why it is difficult to generate support for the football team at Towson.

12 minutes ago, towson2006 said:

There's a confluence of events that has historically worked:

1. The team has to be good (we have that)

2. There has to be a rabid and engaged students (we don't have that)

3. Administrative support for lightly "policed" tailgating (we don't have that)

The problem with this is that:

1. only happens from time to time and is difficult to sustain when you are counting on 18-22 y/o kids to stay healthy, improve, and make good choices. 2. This ebbs and flows from season to season almost regardless of how good we are, because 3. Administration often takes control of these types of groups, corporatizes them, is unwilling to be flexible, and generally looks down on football.

To complicate the problem, when 1. 2. and 3. happened historically bad things resulted. If you think tailgating is bad now, just know that it was BANNED completely from 1986-1995 because students burned a float that the marching band was on during Homecoming. When tailgating came back it was again curbed because students threw full beer cans at cop cars. When it was allowed to go toward what is needed a few years ago a student face planted off a truck in the parking lot. Admins live their lives in complete fear of being sued, that is what their job is. Is it annoying yes, and I don't agree with it, but it is how they are trained to operate. This is why it is difficult to generate support for the football team at Towson.

Seems like this is a historical issue with towson. I have said this before, but Towson wants the big school feel without the big schoool problems. Admin needs new blood who have experience at a top 50 fbs program. 

Promotions for this week: 

This Weekend's Giveaways
Rally Towels for the first 1,500 fans in Johnny Unitas Stadium
Weis is Right - $25 Gift Card to Weis Markets
2,000 Utz Crab Chips and 1,000 cans of Pepsi at the start of the third quarter
GRAND PRIZE: Amazon Fire in the Fourth Quarter
500 Glory Days Coupons for a Free Appetizer Upon Exit from Unitas Stadium

I've gotten emails with this back to back weeks (don't remember if I did for Citadel) from the ticket office with a preview of the weekends game/events and link to buy tickets. It is actually pretty well done. 

Also, can we please get highlights/review from the previous game on the big screen before the game?!  I've been clamoring for this with basketball as well.  Shouldn't be hard to do! I know we have ad spots on the board, but it seems like most is "whose who at TU" on a continual loop

• Thanks 1

Let’s also have Deb M personally invite all students to the game this week.  She can also send a broadcast email (video message) assuring the students will not be harassed bu SAFE and that tailgating is a go!  Have her department fund a large prize( $1000) to be given away at the end of the game. RA can deliver the check to the student in the stands following the playing of the fight song with the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Also, can we please get highlights/review from the previous game on the big screen before the game?!  I've been clamoring for this with basketball as well.  Shouldn't be hard to do! I know we have ad spots on the board, but it seems like most is "whose who at TU" on a continual loop

One would think that TSN could produce a 1 to 2-minute segment with highlights from the previous game or even sound from the coach looking back or looking forward.  After finishing with the weekly Football Report show or Basketball Report show, break off a quick 1-minute analysis from the coach to be played on the video board prior to the game.

7 hours ago, RundaPower said:

Let’s also have Deb M personally invite all students to the game this week.  She can also send a broadcast email (video message) assuring the students will not be harassed bu SAFE and that tailgating is a go!  Have her department fund a large prize( $1000) to be given away at the end of the game. RA can deliver the check to the student in the stands following the playing of the fight song with the team.

this won't happen. our best bet is to encourage students who love the squad to keep showing and bringing their friends. let's also hope that we keep being awesome.