• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TheGoldCrotchPiece

What is up with Attendance & Game Promotion?

Deb Moriarty should publicly admit her poor decision making skills were absolutely detrimental to the program and as a result she’ll reverse her policy on tailgating.

why fund a top 10 football program if the administration actively works to prevent fans from attending? 

I see see no other way to revive tailgating

deb if you’re reading this IT’S ALL YOUR FAULT 

5 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Deb Moriarty should publicly admit her poor decision making skills were absolutely detrimental to the program and as a result she’ll reverse her policy on tailgating.

why fund a top 10 football program if the administration actively works to prevent fans from attending? 

i'd love for this to happen

43 minutes ago, Blounge said:

If this happened.. It would send a message to students and even recent alum who have been impacted by her poor decisions. 

TU really needs to start recognizing students as adults and adopt policies similar to other schools. 

I've always thought TU could do a better job of tapping into new fans, outside of students. 

With little competition from colleges, minor league baseball has figured it out, with teams in Aberdeen, Bowie, Frederick, Salisbury, etc. Why not go after non-students? Other colleges do. When I in Frisco (2014), many NDSU fans were not students. With the cost of Ravens tickets, and access to games, I think TU could tap into similar potential. 

Building a greater fan base could be done through better marketing, but why not either greatly reduce, or eliminate ticket price to games that aren't sold out? Would at least make money on sales of other things. I don't see how empty seats are helping.

In all the years when Baltimore was without a pro football team, TU really missed out. Most Baltimore nfl fans hated Redskins and still do. Program could have built much more.

Hopefully, one day, TU admin will recognize as adults, students are personally responsible for thier own actions and face same legal consequences. 

Football is not the only sport TU has been not recognized potential. Basketball is another. There are no other big time college teams in Baltimore and it's been rumored to be a top contender for a possible NBA expansion team.  Things have been improving recently, but the potential has been there for years. Georgetown, Terps, George Mason do well playing in close proximity to the Wizards. In Baltimore, TU's competition is UMBC, Morgan St,  Coppin St.

Enough rambling. 

Need to beat down some blue chickens today and get back to Frisco.

Not sure what to make of the hire below, but certainly hope it's the right call.  Believe the job advertisement was looking for someone with successful experience marketing D1 college athletics in an urban market.  Well we now have someone with experience in horse racing and the catholic church.  God help us.

33 minutes ago, Tigerone94 said:

Not sure what to make of the hire below, but certainly hope it's the right call.  Believe the job advertisement was looking for someone with successful experience marketing D1 college athletics in an urban market.  Well we now have someone with experience in horse racing and the catholic church.  God help us.

I really don't see how this can be a bad move. He's a Towson guy and we have very few in the athletic department. He didn't just work for Pimlico, but the CFL, NBA and Channel 2. I think it was an excellent move to finally go local.

I wonder what kind of budget this guy will have to work with.  The money is important.  There's only so much grassroots marketing you can do and I think we all agree that the marketing has been lacking.

Took the light rail into work today and the car was covered with a TU football wrap on the outside, and then every sign inside had TU Football all over it.  9 in total but only 1 had the schedule... 

Seemed kind of overkill.

I also hear them promote games a few days before on chimerical breaks on 105.7. The problem being, they are always promoting the road games....😣

What would you like this guy to do differently?

Social Media Promotion has definitely been improved this year on Instagram/Snapchat/Facebook 

The Light Rails signs are kinda cool, but I think there’s gotta be something better.

I think he needs to:

-get the games on television.

-make friends on campus with grassroots partnerships with Greek Life, Black Student Union, Housing and Residence Life, The Honors College.

-Gifting tickets to local churches, sports organizations, corporate sponsors, and players. I think each player should be given 10 free tickets so their family and friends can see them play.

-Giveaways at halftime. Yes $25 gift card at the school store is nice but if you want to keep poor college students at the game throw out $100 turtle tab, TVs, pizza for a year. Gotta step it up from T-shirts and crab chips.

-Campus guerilla marketing. SGA sometimes rents go-karts and drives students around campus to class. Would be cool to see the coaches and players giving students rides to class and promoting the game.

-Create a positive tailgating atmosphere. Jimmy’s Famous seafood trucks? Beer gardens? Get Rec Room and CVP involved so they don’t steal the students away from game day with their day drinks. Allow fun, abolish archaic rules

-Make an on-campus shuttle dedicated to picking up students on one side of campus and taking them to the tailgate lot.

-gift students with a meal swipe for attending sporting events or a similar rewards program.

feel free to chime in your thoughts!

2 hours ago, Blounge said:

What would you like this guy to do differently?

Social Media Promotion has definitely been improved this year on Instagram/Snapchat/Facebook 

The Light Rails signs are kinda cool, but I think there’s gotta be something better.

I think he needs to:

-get the games on television.

-make friends on campus with grassroots partnerships with Greek Life, Black Student Union, Housing and Residence Life, The Honors College.

-Gifting tickets to local churches, sports organizations, corporate sponsors, and players. I think each player should be given 10 free tickets so their family and friends can see them play.

-Giveaways at halftime. Yes $25 gift card at the school store is nice but if you want to keep poor college students at the game throw out $100 turtle tab, TVs, pizza for a year. Gotta step it up from T-shirts and crab chips.

-Campus guerilla marketing. SGA sometimes rents go-karts and drives students around campus to class. Would be cool to see the coaches and players giving students rides to class and promoting the game.

-Create a positive tailgating atmosphere. Jimmy’s Famous seafood trucks? Beer gardens? Get Rec Room and CVP involved so they don’t steal the students away from game day with their day drinks. Allow fun, abolish archaic rules

-Make an on-campus shuttle dedicated to picking up students on one side of campus and taking them to the tailgate lot.

-gift students with a meal swipe for attending sporting events or a similar rewards program.

feel free to chime in your thoughts!

Certainly not bad ideas.  I bolded the comp tickets portion of your post because NCAA rules stipulate that student-athletes may only receive 4 comp tickets from the school (they can scarf unused tickets from other teammates, etc).  Every one of your ideas sounds like something that could be done if the right steps are taken and relationships made.  It seems that the biggest thing is getting that positive pre-game/tailgate atmosphere going.  But then if you have that, you have to make sure that you get that crowd from the parking lot into the stadium because if they don't make it there, then you run into potential issues in the parking lot and I think we've seen from the past what that turns into.  

Ultimately, the biggest weapon is a winning product.