• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Scrimmage at 12:30 on Saturday

Pretty good scrimmage today. Brian Fobbs was the star with 27 points today. He was fantastic, went 8 for 14 and made all four of his free throws. Also made 5 of 7 from 3pt.

Thought T.J. Howard ran the team well but he struggled from 3, making just 1 of 9. Did have him for 9 points, 2 assists, one TO and one steal.

Jakigh Dotti was very aggressive as the backup point, but made just 1 of 9 from the field and 4 of 9 from the line. But very aggressive to the tin.

Jordan McNeill (hand) did not play, though PS says hopefully out two weeks. That allowed A. Betrand and N. Timberlake to play more and both played well. I had Timberlake for 15 points on 6 of 10 from teh field and 3 of 6 from 3pt. Would like to see him attack the basket more. It's a waste of all those hopes if you sit back and just take 3s. He did have a nice reverse layup on a nice cut. Also loved Betrand, who attacked the rim and had 12 points on 4 of 7 shooting. Also made 2  of 3 from 3 pt. Heard he's now close to 6-6 and 205 with a 40 inch vertical.

Not a lot from Yagi Selcuk and Solomon up front. It's going to take time for them to develop. I think you'll see Thomas, Sanders and Tunstall rotate at the post spots. Sanders was very foul prone though he did have 8 pts and about 6 boards with 7 fouls. He'll be fine. Al Thomas always plays well in preseason. Now he needs to translater that to the regular season. He had 12 points and seven boards on my count. Tunstall als is up to 230 pounds. 

Not as impressed with Juwan Gray, the San Diego transfer. He's about 10 pounds away but a lot of guys on their sit-out seasons play tentatively.

• Like 1

I attended the scrimmage before heading over to the football game. Great day to be a Tiger. I was really impressed with Fobbs. This kid is a scorer. He might not make up for all of Zane Martin’s points, but he has the potential to be a high volume scorer.

Also very impressed with Timberlake & Bertrand. The future is bright IMHO. 

TJ Howard had a miserable day shooting, but I liked the fact he was confident enough to keep firing. I assume he’s a better shooter than he showed today.

Didnt see much out of Solomon U or Yagi. It’ll be interesting to see how much PT they get this season.

Thomas looked very good but we’ve been down this road before. I need to see him do it in the regular season.

Sanders had his moments. I think we should be solid up front with him, Thomas & a somewhat beefed up Tunstall. I think we’re trying to get Gray cleared to play this season. We’ll see.

On a personal note. I’m now a big Dottin fan. Young man came up to me after the scrimmage and introduced himself. Super personable. The kind of kid you want to root for & who represents the school well. 

55 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I attended the scrimmage before heading over to the football game. Great day to be a Tiger. I was really impressed with Fobbs. This kid is a scorer. He might not make up for all of Zane Martin’s points, but he has the potential to be a high volume scorer.

Also very impressed with Timberlake & Bertrand. The future is bright IMHO. 

TJ Howard had a miserable day shooting, but I liked the fact he was confident enough to keep firing. I assume he’s a better shooter than he showed today.

Didnt see much out of Solomon U or Yagi. It’ll be interesting to see how much PT they get this season.

Thomas looked very good but we’ve been down this road before. I need to see him do it in the regular season.

Sanders had his moments. I think we should be solid up front with him, Thomas & a somewhat beefed up Tunstall. I think we’re trying to get Gray cleared to play this season. We’ll see.

On a personal note. I’m now a big Dottin fan. Young man came up to me after the scrimmage and introduced himself. Super personable. The kind of kid you want to root for & who represents the school well. 

Glad you went. Dottin did the same thing with me over the summer and Fobbs was very personable as well. That's not to say the kids from the past were a-holes. Eddie was there today and said hi. Maybe it was just the environment that got him a bit crazy. Just that these kids seem different.

As bad as Howard shot, he took care of the ball. We had an official count of just 11 turnovers combined. That's pretty good for so many new players.

Yagi really struggled. He has some excellent post moves and a pretty good shooter from deep. Maybe a bit scared but they want him to shoot.

I forgot to mention that EK was there-talked to him as well. Seems to be adjusting well to life after college basketball. 

I was at the scrimmage and your analysis is spot on. I thought Fobbs was great and if he can be consistent all year he

should help with the lost scoring. Betrand attacks the basket and shot better than I thought he would. Timberlake shot well

and I was anticipating a few dunks. Dottin is tough and aggressive in the half court but missed a few layups. I would’ve loved to

see a few fast break points in transition with Betrand and Timberlake on the wings. I was pleasantly surprised with Nkaye, Tunstall 

and Thomas inside. They played tough. All in all I am looking for a great year from this Group. I think they will surprise a lot of people 

1 hour ago, Basketball Mat said:

I was at the scrimmage and your analysis is spot on. I thought Fobbs was great and if he can be consistent all year he

should help with the lost scoring. Betrand attacks the basket and shot better than I thought he would. Timberlake shot well

and I was anticipating a few dunks. Dottin is tough and aggressive in the half court but missed a few layups. I would’ve loved to

see a few fast break points in transition with Betrand and Timberlake on the wings. I was pleasantly surprised with Nkaye, Tunstall 

and Thomas inside. They played tough. All in all I am looking for a great year from this Group. I think they will surprise a lot of people 

They are fun to watch but I've seen this from Thomas before. Plays well in preseason and then just sets screens in the regular season. He's not very good with his back to the basket. He's better facing the basket, shooting mid-range shots. But when they force the ball inside, he doesn't have great moves once he gets it. I think if he plays with Sanders, you can have him on the high post and Sanders down low. Thomas can at least pass it and hit that mid range shot. Plus if you leave him up top, he can set high screens.

As for Timberlake, it's tough to dunk when you don't get to the basket. He did that in high school but seems like he's afraid of contact. When you have those hops, why waste it by just being a jumpshooter. I'll get off my soapbox now about players like that.