• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Comments from W&M game

Ambrose opening statement
My hat is off to Jimmye Laycock. This a guy I grew up revering. A Hall of Famer. I'm glad we won. I didn't want to hand him a win on the way out the door. Awesome football coach. I'm proud of our guys. It's hard to win a college football game. It's hard to win a game in October. We're 2-0. But if you look at these guys and look at their faces, they are not really smiling. To be 5-1 and not smiling, that's not the standard of football that we set for ourselves and from a coaches perspective it doesn't get much better. We get to walk away with a win knowing we have a lot to work on.

On adjustments after the half
We played harder. It wasnt schematics. They are a good football team and they have college football players too. They played a brutal schedule coming in here. Some of the best defenses in the country. Virginia Tech and Colgate, who has a great defense. We knew they were going to be tough. But this wasn't about them, it was about us finding a way to win. We did that. We're better than this. We know it. We have a lot of work to do.

On being down at the half
Not at all. My only concern was is that my team decided not to show up in the second half and we did. We just decided to be 
be more of that in the second half. Not concerned at all.

On special teams mistakes
I'm going to have to watch the tape. That was massively disappointing.

On going for 2 up 29-13
I've already seen enough of the extra point/field goal unit. I didn't want to see them anymore. That's the worst display of extra point/field goal unit play since I've been here over the last 10 years. That's getting fixed.

Jabari Allen on TD catch
Coach called the play and I made the play. I knew (it was inbounds). I just went up and made the play. There wasn't much thinking. I just made the play knowing I was in bounds. Yeah, it brought some juice to the team. I saw the sideline get really hyped.

Flacco on first half
They played well. Their D-line was pretty good and secondary did a great job. We moved the ball but struggled in red zone. Credit to them.

I used my feet a little bit more in the second half. I knew I needed to get out of there.

On second half
I figured it out against Villanova. We respond well to adversity. The guys shake it up. You need to have a quiet confidence in yourself and as a unit.

DeBerry on D
We've done a pretty good job. Staying consistent. Watching tons of films. Sometimes we let off the gas a little bit. We need to keep our feet on people's necks. We need to get the ball back to our offense to keep them scoring. The prevoious games, I don't think I've done as well I could personally. 

On transition from Oklahoma
That's been great. The guys have welcomed me with open arms. The family atmosphere is good. You get that sense of family. Coach Ambrose gave me a huge when he welcomed me. I didn't always get that where I was.

Ambrose on being the underdog
From what I've been told, there are only two teams in America that have two top 25 wins. One team that has two top 15 wins. That's us and we're still not in the top 10. We're walking around with a huge chip ion our shoulder. If we keep winning, they can't keep us out. So who cares about the polls.

On Shane Simpson
Very strong game. If you watch closely, he ran hard today. Physically hard. Harder than he's run this season. A healthy Shane Simpson makes us a better team.

On Yeedee's run
It was nice. It's cool for him that his family flew in from North Dakota. For a 1/2 second, I was thinking about Terrance West. Same type of play we ran with him.

On what he learned from this game
We need a better week of practice. We need to prepare better to our level of standard and that's on me. I'm expecting a high level of intensity and greater level of focus in practice. When you're a good football team, it's not about who you play. It's about how you play and prepare. It showed on the field with our preparation. We have things to clean up this week.

On W&M
They weren't doing anything different other than play 2 quarterbacks. We handled them defensively for the most part. They came to play. We just did enough to win.

Good win. Why is he contradicting himself about the polls saying we have a chip on our shoulders and not being in top 10 but then who cares about polls? Lol. No worries... 

Because you can motivate your players by the old, we should be top 10 but we're not. Why are they ranked ahead of us? That type of thing. Of course he cares for that reason. 

As for the game, we're up 10-0 and then O'Neill's kick is blocked and returned for a TD. Without that play, W&M had no chance in this one. We completely took away their running game (which was bad to begin with), but we gave a bit too much cushion I thought on that last drive of the first half and when they were only down 16 with a chance to cut to 8.

This was an odd game. I thought that the O-line struggled against their D-Line in the first half. They got a lot of pressure up the middle and for the first time, Flacco couldn't escape it because it was coming from both sides. And for some reason, Shane Simpson had just three carries (for 28 yards). He ended up with 12 for 66 and 3 catches for 48 yards. He's the playmaker. You have to get him the ball because for some reason, Shane Leatherbury did not play in the 2nd half. I didn't ask because we're coming off a win and already asked about special teams disaster. But he had 3 catches for 31 yards and while had a drop, it hard to be more than that. He wasn't hurt for what I can tell on the sidelines. I don't want to speculate but why would you put your best playmaking wide receiver on the sidelines if he's not hurt? Was it because of one drop or that he wasn't blocking in the running game.

Flacco started taking off in the second half. He had to because we had four possession receivers lining up. Nothing against Brent Richardson or Caleb Smith, but they don't possess Shane's speed. Nice to see Yeedee finally break one. I think his issue is that he tends to look for that big play instead of going North-South for 3-4 yards.

Jabari Allen's catch was just magnificent. Here it is along with some other players