• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Skerry's comments after the Black and Gold Scrimmage

Skerry on first scrimmage
I think there were some good moments and not so good moments. The team that won attacked the glass and got to the line. Potentially, this team has a chance to make more shots than we've had. Play with better spacing. We want to score in transition. We'll take some threes in transition. Play off getting the ball into the post. We can get into trouble if the ball freezes too much and we start playing with the ball. How long can you sustain the defense. It takes one guy to break down. If we're going to be pretty good, we're going to need to be deep.

Objective with scrimmage
Just trying to mix them up. Down a good player with Jordan (hand injury). He was playing really good for us. Those guys practice well, they're gym rats (Betrand, Timberlake). They have to learn how to guard. It's different terminology. Different speed (college game). I like where we capable of getting to but we're certainly not there yet. 

On young guys
Allen (Betrand) and Nick (Timberlake) are talented. They have size, length, shot-making. Jakigh (Dottin) is a warrior. He might not always look pretty but his teams tend to win. He's tough. The two frontcourt guys are the furthest behind. They need to make their mark on the defensive end of the floor and on the backboards. Knowing coverage and where they need to be.

On TJ Howard
He has a good feeling for the game. I think we're going to be good at that position (point guard). We have different guys and guys are used to playing that spot.

On Nurkeye Sanders
Had a couple of moving screens and a bad charge call. He's going to be really good. He has a motor. He goes to the glass. He can shoot it. Play off the best. I like those guys and Dennis (Tunstall). We trust them defensively. We're more willing group passing the ball. The potential strength of the group is to have multiple guys with 10-12 points. Dennis might finish a lot of nights at the end. He's put on 25 pounds and he's been able to keep that on. He blocks shots, he defends. He's been our best rebounder and second-fewest turnovers in 14 practices. That's a guy you have to play.

On Fobbs
He's gifted. He's one of the hardest workers we've had. He's still learning on defense. Trying to take care of it. He's talented. What he really can do is shoot it. Deep, quick, soft. He lives in the gym. This group has been really good about getting up shots on their own. Best group we've ever had and that has to continue. I'm telling you that we're going to be Loyola Marymount, but we have Fobbs, Betrand, McNeill, Howard, Timberlake that can shoot the ball. We need to do that. 

On rotation
We're going to play a lot of guys. A solid 10 or 11. Like we were early last year. We're going to need to be. I believe Solomon can give us rebounding and Yagi has skills offensively. The key is just do what you can do best. We want Yagi to shoot the basketball and he's so unselfish. He'll get there. Both of them work. They are incredible workers.

On scrimmages
We have Rutgers next week and Navy.

Hopefully I find out but I wouldn’t overreact if we get our doors blown off . It’s going to take some time. Remember, Jordan is out and he’s the only experienced guard we have.

I agree. It’s more a function of getting some insight in terms of how we performed, collectively & individually, against a P5 opponent