• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

#13 Football rocks Albany, 56-28

Great W, in the sense that is was on the road & a potential trap game. Say what you want, but Albany has some playmakers on offense. We held the top RB in the conference in check & shut them out in the 2nd half, other than a meaningless TD in garbage time. Let’s face it, with our O, our D doesn’t have to be the 2000 Ravens-just keep the opposition in the 20’s, & there’s a good chance our O will score enough to get the W.

What superlatives are left to describe TF & the offense? I agree with Mat that he didn’t get off to a great start, but this offense has so many ways to score on the opposition. It all starts with Flacco, who picked up his passing (except for the pick on their goal line) as the game progressed & made some big plays on the ground. Add in Simpson & Yeedee on the ground, & Leatherbury, Gallahan & Allen on the outside & the end result is a lot of crooked numbers on the scoreboard.

Onto Newark & a big matchup with UD next Saturday. 

Look Flacco deserves most of the credit but you have to give the OL some kudos as well. Garnett at left tackle. He's been steady. Very few mistakes and keeps getting better. Should have started last season. Rusolillo at center instead of guard has changed the line. We're still not as dominant as the unit in 2011-13 but they also used fullbacks. For whatever reason, we still are in the Pistol inside the 5. The best play is a Flacco run. I'd like to think that should be Yeedee most of the time. Shane did have a nice strong run for the first TD. Yeedee had one great run and did very little in his other attempts. It's almost like he wants to hit a home run with every carry. Needs to use that strength to get 3-4 yards and go North-South more.

But it's hard to nitpick when you score 56 points. We're just looking at the upcoming schedule. But let's not forget we put over 50 on one of the best defenses in the CAA in Stony Brook.

And Delaware week has begun. A win and you're one step closer to the playoffs. Flacco is going to get bombarded with Joe questions this week. 

We’re averaging 40ppg.

Huge game coming up vs Delaware, who is one of a bunch of teams right behind us in the conference with 1 loss. I would anticipate a large, hostile crowd. Hopefully, we’ll have a nice contingent of our own fans in attendance. 

No doubt the Flacco angle will get some play this week. 

Something special brewing with this Towson squad. The defense is a potential liability particularly if (when) we make it to the playoffs but right now we’re hitting on all cylinders.  

How were we on penalties today? The one thing I was absolutely blown away by when we played NDST in the championship game was how disciplined a team the Bison were.  They played such a clean, focused game. We need to aspire to that level of discipline all the time.

We had six penalties for 90 yards. The defense is a concern. We started Gillette as corner but he got beat badly on that first TD on the play-action. He also got beat late in the half though Tippett for some reason let the guy get behind him. I know they used Vontae McCants a lot and he came up with that early INT. He's been moved back from safety to corner but I thought he looked good today. Gillette is probably better suited for nickel and slot corner. Shuman was quiet which means he did his job. The two big plays and the one fluky run where their runner fumbled after running for about 25 yards and Gillette couldn't come up with it. Well. I had to say he had a hand in all of their TDs, but he kind of did. Not saying he's played poorly this year. We've had our biggest issues in the middle of the field with the play of the safeties and LBs against TEs and slot WRs.

These seems like small issues but they could be major in tight games. Obviously scoring 30-40ppg would take care of that.

Did Clark play today? As good as this O is, imagine what it would be like with a threat at TE.

Btw, I thought there was some sketchy calls (and non-calls) by the refs. Those 2 PI calls that went in our favor were dubious, & how they missed that personal foul on the Albany goon who had 2 other personal fouls is beyond me. (The one where he clearly hit our guy way out of bounds). 

10 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Look Flacco deserves most of the credit but you have to give the OL some kudos as well. Garnett at left tackle. He's been steady. Very few mistakes and keeps getting better. Should have started last season. Rusolillo at center instead of guard has changed the line. We're still not as dominant as the unit in 2011-13 but they also used fullbacks. For whatever reason, we still are in the Pistol inside the 5. The best play is a Flacco run. I'd like to think that should be Yeedee most of the time. Shane did have a nice strong run for the first TD. Yeedee had one great run and did very little in his other attempts. It's almost like he wants to hit a home run with every carry. Needs to use that strength to get 3-4 yards and go North-South more.

But it's hard to nitpick when you score 56 points. We're just looking at the upcoming schedule. But let's not forget we put over 50 on one of the best defenses in the CAA in Stony Brook.

Nico is the smartest OL we've had in a long, long time. Him at center is huge.