• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU86

play-offs

Believe me - I know we have along way to go, but here is a play-off question.

Is that crazy bid system still in place to determine who hosts playoff game - or do they go by the rankings?

24 total teams, 8 seeds (highest seeds host throughout the playoffs).  That’s why it’s important to have as high a seed as possible.  The NCAA tries tonregionalize the first and second rounds. The FCS poll is being built to help justify the selection committee field next month.

Edited by RundaPower

They also try and avoid first round (not when the top teams play) conference rematches. So if we make it that would put us in the boat with URI Colgate and Nec champ. 

8-3 & we’re a stone lock. Take that to the bank. But we’ve gotta get there. Beat UD then come home & hold serve against Maine. Lose this Saturday & we may very well have to beat Elon or JMU to go dancing.

30 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

8-3 & we’re a stone lock. Take that to the bank. But we’ve gotta get there. Beat UD then come home & hold serve against Maine. Lose this Saturday & we may very well have to beat Elon or JMU to go dancing.

This is where that whole rankings matters. 

It also depends on what other teams do. Need an upset in the Mvfc to help. Ndsu SDSU uni  ill st at 7-4 would all get in over us 

nightmare situation would be if we beat elon and both finish same record.. Phoenix would get in over us 

Anything’s possible in the abstract, but if we beat Elon (especially on the road) & win just 1 of our other 3 games, we’re dancing.  There’s a million different permutations, but the simplest is win the next 2 games, and take our chances in the last 2 (Elon & JMU). I just don’t see how we don’t make it at 8-3, regardless of who the 3 L’s would be against. I mean I guess something goofy like losing the last 2 games by a combined score of 100-0, but let’s take it 1 game at a time. 

I’d love for Stony Brook to beat JMU, and/or URI or Maine beat Elon, but if we handle our own business we’ll be fine.

Let’s just try and beat Delaware. If we go 8-3 and don’t get in, I would say f-ck the FCS and the CAA and look elsewhere.

Unfortunately poll & playoffs are biased against Towson. Where do I begin?

FCS Coaches poll; 

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll

Wofford (5-2) ranked #7 in FCS coaches poll & TU ranked # 10. Wofford lost to Furman (2-4), Wyoming (FBS). We both beat the Citadel. We won by 17. They one by 7.

Another issue is how other CAA teams are ranked. I.E. Maine (4-3) dropped out of top 25, but seems to be better than other 4-3 teams in top 25. Maine did beat W Carolina (FBS). TU beating a ranked Maine team would mean more than beating non-ranked.

Why is Kennesaw St (6-1) ranked so high? No wins over a ranked FCS team, & 1 of their 6 wins was over DII Clark-Atlanta. Playing in Big South,  lightweight competition, they'll probably finish high. In past years DII wins were counted if from a preferred conf.

Big Sky is another favored Conf.  Eastern Washington (5-2) is ranked above TU in several polls, with 1 of its 5 wins over a DII team. Didn't see any big wins over a team that made them stand out. They recently lost to Weber St ranked above us.

Playing favorites in polls is why TU. seemingly shocked teams like E Illinois, E. Washington on the road to Frisco  back in 2013. 

If I could go back in time, the $1600 $1800 for a round trip ticket would have been worth it.

Edited by towsonx
Clarity