• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

Head Scratching Decision

My job as a reporter is not to put pressure on the coach because he’s not winning by asking tough questions at press conferences though I think I did my best. This board is going to do that.

The defense isn’t as talented as I thought. Some of it is coaching. You can’t go three man line and have Maine run up the middle for 64 yards. You can’t keep a certain corner in the game and watch him get picked on over and over. But since Delaire, we haven’t brought in a pure pass rusher. Was hoping that would be DeBerry but he’s more inside LB than DE. Recruiting since the championship season has been the biggest issue in the downfall of the program.

The only opinion that matters is TL and I can’t imagine him being very happy that it’s likely that we’re going to be on the outside looking in  again.

7 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I wish someone would have asked Rob, or brought up his strange decision to defer to the second half. After that moment, you had to figure the day was lost..

Why would you defer?!  With a bad defense such as ours, you want your offense out there first, and try and make a statement, especially at home.

Also, Maines best player, who plays DEFENSE, was suspended for the first half of the game! Why do you not take advantage of that?!?!.  73 tackles, 7 sacks, 2 fumbles and 1 Int, but lets not use that to our advantage...

A real fatalist, huh?  You should have probably left the stadium as soon as they said that Towson deferred.  

Tell Belichick that deferring is a bad idea.  His defenses haven't been all that great over the years but they defer EVERY time because they always want the ball to start the 2nd half.  Personally, I think it's a lot better to get the ball to start the second half because that first drive of the game, who knows what sort of feeling out you might have to do on either side of the ball.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/26/sports/football/first-decision-of-the-game-for-belichick-its-no-tossup.html

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/2/3/14424238/coin-toss-super-bowl-li-patriots-defer-heads-falcons-bill-belichick

27 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

A real fatalist, huh?  You should have probably left the stadium as soon as they said that Towson deferred.  

Tell Belichick that deferring is a bad idea.  His defenses haven't been all that great over the years but they defer EVERY time because they always want the ball to start the 2nd half.  Personally, I think it's a lot better to get the ball to start the second half because that first drive of the game, who knows what sort of feeling out you might have to do on either side of the ball.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/26/sports/football/first-decision-of-the-game-for-belichick-its-no-tossup.html

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/2/3/14424238/coin-toss-super-bowl-li-patriots-defer-heads-falcons-bill-belichick

Just using common sense. 

Thats great! Bill didnt coach in that game.

How is it common sense?  It's a feel thing.  You feel like sending a message with your defense AND getting to start the 2nd half with the ball?  Then defer.  I'd guess that every coach approaches it differently for each game.

I always want the ball in the 2nd half. I would think every game has been 0-0 at the start, where as you have no idea what the halftime score will be, and you want that extra possession in the 2nd half.

It makes no difference about getting the ball at the beginning of the 1st or 2nd half - it's symantics.  The defense needs to get a stop.  Towson has a poor defense.  Elon and JMU are about to expose us for what we are, a mediocre football team that fails to beat teams that have a winning record. 0-6 so far in 2018 in the category. 1 win against a team with a winning record in 2017 (Delaware), 1 win against a team with a winning record in 2016 (St Francis),  3 wins against teams with a winning record in 2015 (St Francis, Holy Cross & Villanova), and 1 win against a team with a winning record in 2014 (NC Central).  That's only 6 wins over the last 5 years against teams with records over .500.  Weak.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, El Tigre Oro said:

I always want the ball in the 2nd half. I would think every game has been 0-0 at the start, where as you have no idea what the halftime score will be, and you want that extra possession in the 2nd half.

we are all different I guess. I would like the other teams best player to play as little as possible. 

5 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

we are all different I guess. I would like the other teams best player to play as little as possible. 

Statistically speaking it's a wash.  Teams do not gain a possession in the game by choosing heads or tails.  It's just broken up differently.  Time of Possession is also a misleading stat as having the ball longer means nothing if you score on special teams, score on defense, or score quickly when you have the ball.

34 minutes ago, BoogerJ said:

It makes no difference about getting the ball at the beginning of the 1st or 2nd half - it's symantics.  The defense needs to get a stop.  Towson has a poor defense.  Elon and JMU are about to expose us for what we are, a mediocre football team that fails to beat teams that have a winning record. 0-6 so far in 2018 in the category. 1 win against a team with a winning record in 2017 (Delaware), 1 win against a team with a winning record in 2016 (St Francis),  3 wins against teams with a winning record in 2015 (St Francis, Holy Cross & Villanova), and 1 win against a team with a winning record in 2014 (NC Central).  That's only 6 wins over the last 5 years against teams with records over .500.  Weak.

Stony Brook is 6-3 and was ranked 13th when we beat them. I mean annihalated then.

Ok, so that's 1 win over a winning record team this year and only 7 wins over the last 5 years against teams with records over .500.  Still Weak.