• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB loses in a rout to FAU

Meanwhile, Furman finds a way to beat #8 Villanova.  You can say that Villanova is overrated this season, but still.....is Furman so far ahead of Towson as a program that they can find a way to beat an ELITE hoops team and we struggle with the likes of Pepperdine and FAU?  Very early on in the 2018-19 season but Skerry's seat has got to be getting warmer.   We are in a perpetual state of rebuilding and growing and learning and yada, yada, yada.....

Skerry has an eight-year deal. There is no hotseat. Not sure what people expected. Even he said this is a work-in-progress, maybe even worse than he expected. You can't lose your best four players, two of them to transfer, and just reload. It is what it is. Hopefully, they improve as the season goes on.

I guess every coach we have in the department is on the hot seat.  What did we say weeks ago about this team -- don't have expectations.  And yet, here we are with people already whining about the start of the season.

1 hour ago, Chris Datres said:

I guess every coach we have in the department is on the hot seat.  What did we say weeks ago about this team -- don't have expectations.  And yet, here we are with people already whining about the start of the season.

Don’t have expectations?? Are you for real?  What kind of defeatist mindset is that?  How are you supposed to measure success and progress?

If Paddy were a first-time, first-year head coach starting five freshmen, I MIGHT say, “don’t have any expectations”.  But he’s not and he isn’t.....so guess what, I have some expectations and having games where we shoot 44% from the line or have 25 turnovers aren’t part of my expectations for a coach in his 7th (8th?) year, starting guys who have plenty of post high school experience.

Don’t have expectations.....what a joke. Let’s set the bar as low as we can, huh?

9 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Skerry has an eight-year deal. There is no hotseat. Not sure what people expected. Even he said this is a work-in-progress, maybe even worse than he expected. You can't lose your best four players, two of them to transfer, and just reload. It is what it is. Hopefully, they improve as the season goes on.

If the players he recruited were as good as the agent he recruited, the one that got an eight year deal despite zero conference championships or appearances in either NCAA or NIT events, we would not be playing for 7th place in a mediocre field. Might be time to look for some results. 

6 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Don’t have expectations?? Are you for real?  What kind of defeatist mindset is that?  How are you supposed to measure success and progress?

If Paddy were a first-time, first-year head coach starting five freshmen, I MIGHT say, “don’t have any expectations”.  But he’s not and he isn’t.....so guess what, I have some expectations and having games where we shoot 44% from the line or have 25 turnovers aren’t part of my expectations for a coach in his 7th (8th?) year, starting guys who have plenty of post high school experience.

Don’t have expectations.....what a joke. Let’s set the bar as low as we can, huh?

It’s not defeatist at all.  I call it being a realist.  I don’t want to be 1-3 right now but I also look at a roster of rookies that haven’t established game chemistry yet and see that it’s gonna be a work in progress.  I’ll be much more disappointed in the situation if we get to Atlantic City in a month and we’re still sitting on 1-3 wins and not showing any improvement.  Face it, we’re in a situation where three days in March are the only true important time since we’re never gonna sniff any at-large prospects.  

And oh btw, Skerry’s not the one turning it over or shooting poorly from the FT line. You don’t think he knows it needs fixing?  They only had 9 to’s yesterday.  There, he coached them up enough for that. 

Edited by Chris Datres

I’m trying to look at the glass half full, but I certainly understand the frustration of those who are projecting this to be a 5 win season, give or take.

The elephant in the room is that the transfer of ZM & Gorham set this program back at least 2 years in my estimation. Say what you want about ZM being a “me” guy, but he would have likely averaged 20+ppg this season, & Gorham might have been in the 12-14ppg range.

As tempting as it is to kiss this season goodbye, we’re going to have to wait until we have some conference games under our belt to make any conclusions. Personally, I think the best we can hope for this season is that the experience gained will make us better next year.

As for Skerry, his inability thus far to bring in a quality PG is disappointing, to say the least. Howard is only here through next season, & I don’t think he’s the answer in any event. Dottin does have strength and appears to have leadership skills, but I’m not sold on him as the long term guy either. I’d also like to see him recruit better pure shooters, a’ la guys at William & Mary, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. It’s great that he graduates guys & has made us a fairly consistent 18+ win team, but I don’t think it’s unfair to demand that he also get us to a conference championship game eventually, and, dare I say it, even the big dance. He has a multi year contract (which I wouldn’t have given him) so he ain’t going anywhere. The question is “is the program going anywhere, or have we plateaud with this guy”?

8 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I’m trying to look at the glass half full, but I certainly understand the frustration of those who are projecting this to be a 5 win season, give or take.

The elephant in the room is that the transfer of ZM & Gorham set this program back at least 2 years in my estimation. Say what you want about ZM being a “me” guy, but he would have likely averaged 20+ppg this season, & Gorham might have been in the 12-14ppg range.

As tempting as it is to kiss this season goodbye, we’re going to have to wait until we have some conference games under our belt to make any conclusions. Personally, I think the best we can hope for this season is that the experience gained will make us better next year.

As for Skerry, his inability thus far to bring in a quality PG is disappointing, to say the least. Howard is only here through next season, & I don’t think he’s the answer in any event. Dottin does have strength and appears to have leadership skills, but I’m not sold on him as the long term guy either. I’d also like to see him recruit better pure shooters, a’ la guys at William & Mary, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. It’s great that he graduates guys & has made us a fairly consistent 18+ win team, but I don’t think it’s unfair to demand that he also get us to a conference championship game eventually, and, dare I say it, even the big dance. He has a multi year contract (which I wouldn’t have given him) so he ain’t going anywhere. The question is “is the program going anywhere, or have we plateaud with this guy”?

Don’t blame Skerry for taking an eight year deal. Anyone would take it. The thought is a contract of that length should be saved for those who “go beyond”, such as winning a conference championship or at least getting to a conference or national championship game.