• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

Today’s ugly loss to NDSU (story)

https://towsontigers.com/news/2018/11/18/mens-basketball-fobbs-posts-career-best-scoring-effort.aspx

https://gobison.com/news/2018/11/18/mens-basketball-bison-throttle-towson-in-bahamas-finale-76-51.aspx

Hate to be a buzz killer, after the great news about the football team, but MBB got slapped around in the last place of the Bahamas tournament, losing to NDSU 76-51.

Here are some of the numbers: team shot 37% overall & 31% from 3. Just 6 assists. Sanders & Thomas combined took 2 shots. Fobbs: 5-13 from the field; Timberlake 1-7; Betrand 1-6; Dottin 1-4. That’s 8-30 for those 4 guys, or 27%. Howard, the starting PG played 20 minutes & had zero assists. 

No positivity allowed in this thread. The losses are expected. The blowouts are not but as I've said a million times, I picked this team last due to inexperience. If they don't get better after this fiasco of a tournament I'd be more worried than I already am now. Timberlake can score 14 points in one game and then does nothing the next. That's what freshmen do and unfortunately we have to rely on too many. The transfers are another story and they've been the biggest disappointments so far, esp. Sanders and Howard.

One other thing. I know it sounds like sour grapes or protecting PS, but I think Gorham left for his own reasons but I think Zane left to get more publicity. We have no TV deal. It's ludicrous that the school presidents and ADs wouldn't pay part of the production costs to put us on NBC Sports Washington. It can't help recruiting for an CAA school when all you can say is that your parents, friends and family can watch you on the CAA App on a Smart TV, ROKU, tablet or I-Pad.

Could things get better for this team as the season goes along?  Sure.  But I have a creeping feeling it's going to be another case of "just wait til next year!".  Next year, next year, next year, etc...…."next year" never seems to come for Pat Skerry's teams.  There always seems to be an excuse as to why Towson basketball never achieves anything of substance.  18+ wins a season is great if you play in a conference that gets At-large bids.  We don't.  Prove me wrong, Coach Skerry, please prove me wrong!!!

I hear ya down in the ATL, but this year the battle cry is truly “wait until next year.” We can only hope that this year’s batch of freshman (Dottin, Timberlake, Selcuk, Solomon & Betrand) start coming into their own next season. In the immortal words of the great Al McGuire, “the best thing about freshman is that they become sophomores.”

Having said that, I think it’s fair to ask what did Skerry see in Howard & Sanders, 2 non-freshman transfers. I know 5 games is a small sample size, but it doesn’t appear Howard can shoot, which is generally a detriment for a basketball player (sarcasm intended). And Sanders is a turnover machine, who can’t shoot foul shots. 

Total free pass for Skerry this year. And I know about the 8 year extension. But what we don’t know is whether there is a buyout provision in the contract. If, in a worse case scenario, this year & next year are train wrecks (and I fervently hope that’s not the case) how long, rhetorically asking, can the AD go without pulling the chord?

Absolutely. Circumstances (transfer of 2 best players, graduation of 3rd best player, influx of 8 new players-6 of whom never played 1 second of college ball before this season) mandate, whether we like it or not, a harsh reality-Coach K, Pat Riley & Phil Jackson combined couldn’t win here this season.