• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

Today’s ugly loss to NDSU (story)

Tgr4life, I agree with you...so many rationalizations...”look where we are now compared to when Pat Kennedy was coach;” we’ve won 20 games a few times;” “we have a good W-L record in regular season conference play;” “some of the guys he’s brought in just haven’t worked out, or transferred-that not the coach’s fault;” “let’s be patient a few more years-we’re almost there;” (fill in the blank on any i’ve missed).

At some point, the measurement has to be, at a minimum, either finishing 1st in the conference, or making it to the conference championship game. Frankly, it really ought to be getting to the NCAA tournament. I’ve already said he gets a pass, IMHO, due to the devastating effect of ZM & Gorham bolting. So, next season will be year 9 of the Skerry regime. I just rhetorically ask when will we get to the next level, or are we treading water or worse, falling back?

13 hours ago, mat1992 said:

He’s not going  anywhere so you can squauk all you want but I don’t understand how people just don’t get college basketball at this level. The only way you can compete when you lose most of your team is to get transfers. Since there is no Benimon in the mix, this was going to be rough start. Blame him for Howard and Sanders. Fobbs is going to be fine and hope he gets better by conference time.

Who cares if we beat Wesley or Temple? This program was lucky to get 10 wins every season no matter who they played in the past.

The answer is to give your players reasons to stay. It is very easy to say the CAA has minimal TV or minimal national coverage or whatever reason a kid gives to transfer. Part of the job is to prove to your players that they can flourish under your tutelage. Again, you are giving a pass because that is not happening. All we want are results. After 8 years, that is not asking too much.

1 hour ago, Tgr4life said:

The answer is to give your players reasons to stay. It is very easy to say the CAA has minimal TV or minimal national coverage or whatever reason a kid gives to transfer. Part of the job is to prove to your players that they can flourish under your tutelage. Again, you are giving a pass because that is not happening. All we want are results. After 8 years, that is not asking too much.

I still follow Zane - and he 150% left for more exposure. He loves their stadium their crowds the tv exposure and all to sit a year. I dont think a player takes that lightly. Someone hit the nail on the head. John Davis and alum are still posting snippit videos of them balling out on CSN.. Need a tv deal. CAA app gets us nowhere as a program/conference - CAA can pretend they are the same but without the likes of GM / VCU we have nobodies. Im assuming its impossible for Towson to get a deal themselves. REally need the CAA to step up. 

18 hours ago, Tony Tiger said:

Skerry only appears to be able to coach one way. When your entire offensive strategy is attack the basket, get offensive rebounds and make freethrows you’re are not going to get very far. It may win you some games but it won’t win you big games when coaching and skill matter. Skerry needs to get better before his players can get better. 

Agree here. He does not make good adjustments and has just one preferential style of play. Attack and smash. Will not work in this era. Every game I see I dread when we have to set up in a half court offense. The whole argument about we are better now than years back has run its course. You couldn't get any worse than the PK era and 1-31. Only option WAS to go up. Someone mentioned about Jimmy and Joes (guessing top recruits?). You think UVa has McDonald all Americans coming in and out the door? With the exception of maybe 1 or 2 those teams consist of your average kids putting in hard work and being disciplined by a coach who knows how to adapt. Also helps that he knows the Xs and Os of the game. Fundamentals are key in this sport and that is why Bennet teams do so well. Skerry lacks in that department unfortunately and I would be surprised if we haven't hit that plateau we speak of...

45 minutes ago, Blounge said:

We need to create a Towson television station. Get some random channel like 77 they can get at a discount

HAHA. This made me laugh.  No one goes to our games why would there be a channel?

Also, serious question here. Isn't everyone "cutting the cord" now a days, so not being on TV isn't as big of a deal as before?? Right?  I know I am in the minority of someone under the age of 30 who still has cable and prefers to watch via TV rather than on my small phone or laptop... I don't know or do anything with ROKU or Appletv, but are we making a bigger deal out of this lack of tv deal? (I want the Comcast deal back as I love to watch other games around the conference)

46 minutes ago, tualum said:

Agree here. He does not make good adjustments and has just one preferential style of play. Attack and smash. Will not work in this era. Every game I see I dread when we have to set up in a half court offense. The whole argument about we are better now than years back has run its course. You couldn't get any worse than the PK era and 1-31. Only option WAS to go up. Someone mentioned about Jimmy and Joes (guessing top recruits?). You think UVa has McDonald all Americans coming in and out the door? With the exception of maybe 1 or 2 those teams consist of your average kids putting in hard work and being disciplined by a coach who knows how to adapt. Also helps that he knows the Xs and Os of the game. Fundamentals are key in this sport and that is why Bennet teams do so well. Skerry lacks in that department unfortunately and I would be surprised if we haven't hit that plateau we speak of...

Exactly.  He has gotten us to a decent point, but has plateaued. CAA is more of an uptempo league now and has always been and always will be about GUARDS. The grind it out, cant shoot, bully ball does not work. It will not work in bringing us the ultimate goal of reaching the NCAA's, sorry it just won't. We need good guards and a leader point guard. Look at the past CAA POTY winners..notice anything??

image.png.7e110aabe24e47fc05a0f7056f40cff0.png

The excuses and people who back him NO MATTER WHAT, needs to stop. The Jimmy and Joe guy, sheesh. We have had top 3-4 talent in the league for 5-6 years (not this one, yet atleast) and we havent won.  NE and WM consistently have top teams and guess what! they rarely have the top players and athletes. And they need to adhere to different admission standards that we do. They have great coaches!

We can't judge this season on the first handful of games.. if we did that for last year we have been in the tournament! Last weekend was disappointing, but lets see where this season goes.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

HAHA. This made me laugh.  No one goes to our games why would there be a channel?

Also, serious question here. Isn't everyone "cutting the cord" now a days, so not being on TV isn't as big of a deal as before?? Right?  I know I am in the minority of someone under the age of 30 who still has cable and prefers to watch via TV rather than on my small phone or laptop... I don't know or do anything with ROKU or Appletv, but are we making a bigger deal out of this lack of tv deal? (I want the Comcast deal back as I love to watch other games around the conference)

Because it’s the trend at all colleges in America and in the NFL that people do not go to games because the experience of being able to stay at home and watch is better

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

The excuses and people who back him NO MATTER WHAT, needs to stop. The Jimmy and Joe guy, sheesh. We have had top 3-4 talent in the league for 5-6 years (not this one, yet atleast) and we havent won.  NE and WM consistently have top teams and guess what! they rarely have the top players and athletes. And they need to adhere to different admission standards that we do. They have great coaches!

Since Northeastern joined the conference in 2005, they and W&M have combined to win one more CAA basketball championship than we have.