• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

Today’s ugly loss to NDSU (story)

He’s won 20 or more games 3 years-2013 (25), 2015 (20) & 2016 (20). He’s never won more than 1 game in the CAA tournament & the biggest OOC win is Oregon State. No NIT or NCAA tournament appearances. 

North Dakota State truly not a cupcake program.  They made the dance in 2014 & 2015 and have been a solid program the past decade.  

Look I know I’m in CA where everyone is happy go lucky.  

Skerry gets this season and the next to figure it out but I’m of course not gonna be devastated if he’s let go after this season.  

Recruiting is huge...  not an exact science. 

Some guys just know how pick the right groceries.   

I’m at a loss right now at how this fell apart for us...  but it is reality.  

We have to take our lumps and hope this freshman class is indeed legit.  

We’ve had no violations etc and so it’s not the impossible it once was to turn around a program quickly.  Case in point look at San Diego who after being embarrassed by a coach sex scandal is off to a 3-1 start.  

Oh geez...   ok maybe PS doesn’t know what he is doing.  

I’m at a loss.  Love our school and desperately want to get to the dance before I die.  

I do know that Gray is legit and will help us next season.  

Appreciate this board and I truly understand all the frustration.  

I want to win!!!!!

We all knew that this season was going to be real tough.  Wins were and are going to be tough to come by, however the scores from this past weekend were definitely disappointing. We were playing mid major level talent and got smacked pretty badly. (Going off of stats and recaps, did not pay to watch the games) 

Has Skerry recruited high schoolers well?  No

Has Skerry recruited transfers well? Yes

Has Skerry won a decent amount of games and build a respectable program? Yes

Has Skerry won any big games and made noise in the postseason? No

Should Skerry have received an extension recently? Yes

Should Skerry have received such a long term extension? Probably Not

Are we in a better place under Skerry? YES

Have we plateaued and gotten as far as we can under Skerry? Probably Yes

• Like 2

I agree by and large with the last post. In terms of transfers, he hit it out of the park with Benimon; Moto was good, not great & Morman flamed out. McGlynn was ok (great FT shooter). Astroth was a miss & so was the big kid from Dayton. Ivory was a miss & Starr was meh. Early returns on Howard & Sanders are disappointing, but the jury is still out on them.

HS kids-Morsell & JD were very good. Other than that, I don’t think there has been much success, on the basketball side of things. Obviously, this year’s batch of freshman remains to be seen.

This is a lost season, in terms of W-L record. I think next year could be a fork in the road season; if we’re bad again, I hope the AD exercises the buyout option in the contract, assuming there is one, that is.

Oh no doubt. I’m thinking in terms of HS recruits who have stuck around for 4 years. Getting them here is one thing, having them be successful on & off the court for 4 years is entirely another. Not blaming Skerry for those cats transferring, but by the same token he can’t put them on his ledger as guys who stayed 4 years & were impact players. Not a low blow, just a fact.

What's frustrating is that Coach Skerry seems like such a likable guy.....a very easy guy to pull for.  He appears to do everything the right way in terms of running a clean program, a great family man who does outstanding philanthropic/charitable work and a guy with a charismatic personality.  I would LOVE to see him be successful here......with success being defined as post-season W's.  I just think he either gets out-coached too often and/or isn't a great X's & O's guy. 

• Like 2