• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

Today’s ugly loss to NDSU (story)

57 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

What's frustrating is that Coach Skerry seems like such a likable guy.....a very easy guy to pull for.  He appears to do everything the right way in terms of running a clean program, a great family man who does outstanding philanthropic/charitable work and a guy with a charismatic personality.  I would LOVE to see him be successful here......with success being defined as post-season W's.  I just think he either gets out-coached too often and/or isn't a great X's & O's guy. 

Good post. Want to see him succeed and is an affable individual. But from day 1, I saw that he just isn't an X's and O's guy which is needed in this league...

1 hour ago, AtlantaTiger said:

What's frustrating is that Coach Skerry seems like such a likable guy.....a very easy guy to pull for.  He appears to do everything the right way in terms of running a clean program, a great family man who does outstanding philanthropic/charitable work and a guy with a charismatic personality.  I would LOVE to see him be successful here......with success being defined as post-season W's.  I just think he either gets out-coached too often and/or isn't a great X's & O's guy. 

5 minutes ago, tualum said:

Good post. Want to see him succeed and is an affable individual. But from day 1, I saw that he just isn't an X's and O's guy which is needed in this league...

+1

• Like 1

X’s & O’s, but you’ve got to have the Jimmy’s & Joe’s too. I’m not qualified to speak on whether or not he’s a good X’s & O’s guy, but, other than Benimon, he’s never had enough Jimmy’s & Joe’s to get us even into a conference tournament championship game.

And I echo the sentiments about him being a likeable, affable guy who has graduated kids as well. 

I feel like this is similar to the Gonzaga example on a lower level.  For years, they were getting into the tournament as a high seed then would disappoint.  Mark Few was getting a ton of heat for not getting to the next level.  It took some time but then it happened.  I think there is the possibility of having the same situation here.  It took years for us to finally stop being s*it.  We are finally there and now we want to see the next step in the progression.  We all want it faster than its happening but I think the program is doing the right things and its going to happen.  I don't want this season to end that process.  

Few has gotten nothing but the absolute best recruits from all over in addition Big 5 school transfers. 

They’ve been in a mid major conference as well so year and year out they were winning the bid.  

No doubt if we actually won a conference title then just maybe the better recruits trickle in.  

I truly want it to work.  Sherry is a class act and he’s from the Ben Howland/Jamie Dixon tree of coaching and both those guys had a ton of success.  

Aside from losing players...  we are in the midst of our 6th season in the new digs..  home schedule is putrid.  

Pay some $ and bring in one blue chip program each season to reward the season ticket holders.  

Especially for the 2019-20 season knowing that we won’t be scaring any big conference school from coming in and taking a L!

• Like 1

i remember reading on this board during Zane's freshman year, that he was "over recruited" and couldn't play at the D1 level and was a DII player at best, then he played at an all conference level during the second half of his sophomore year.

So this is said, to say, give the freshman a chance.  Due to my schedule and other games to cover, I've yet to see Towson in person, but should be out there this weekend, and will anxious and curios to get some thoughts of them live. 

As to the Skerry thought, I guess he's become a victim of his success.  As Mat mentioned the program was a national joke when he got here.   He had some immediate success after the 1-31 season, and expectations have been high ever since.   But I'd say it's nice that people can have expectations to look toward, versus knowing going in that there is no chance to even be competitive.   

Edited by bucketsandbirds

Skerry only appears to be able to coach one way. When your entire offensive strategy is attack the basket, get offensive rebounds and make freethrows you’re are not going to get very far. It may win you some games but it won’t win you big games when coaching and skill matter. Skerry needs to get better before his players can get better. 

• Like 1

I remember our coach against Oregon State on the road in Corvallis coaching it up pretty damn good...  6 years ago and all. 

I don’t think he forgot how to coach..  his personnel changed and he hasn’t always  adjusted his style of play to fit what his players do best.  

Did you watch those last seasons with Pat Kennedy!!??  All due respect to Jimmy V and all. 

We are 4 games into it...  This group is gonna win some games... not a lot but some.  

Skerry is a solid coach...  what other coach is taking this group and winning 20 games!?

Knock the man for questionable recruiting the past 2-3 seasons and possibly losing the team all together last season but I’ve watched a ton of games and he knows how to coach and make adjustments.  

If you don’t like his style of play then that’s another issue.  

Archie Miller at Indiana...  great X’s and O’s or talent!!!???

So many responses say, in various ways, we can’t expect him to win many games these guys. Except, he is the one that brought in these guys. He does not get a pass for bad recruiting. Reading about a victim of his own success is not an argument that I can understand. Earlier in the thread, the talk was the only thing that matters is three days in March. There has been no success there. 

20 win seasons which include wins over Rio Grande, NJIT, Goucher, Gallaudet and Wesley minimize that argument. It is time for meaningful results with no more excuses. 

57 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

So many responses say, in various ways, we can’t expect him to win many games these guys. Except, he is the one that brought in these guys. He does not get a pass for bad recruiting. Reading about a victim of his own success is not an argument that I can understand. Earlier in the thread, the talk was the only thing that matters is three days in March. There has been no success there. 

20 win seasons which include wins over Rio Grande, NJIT, Goucher, Gallaudet and Wesley minimize that argument. It is time for meaningful results with no more excuses. 

He’s not going  anywhere so you can squauk all you want but I don’t understand how people just don’t get college basketball at this level. The only way you can compete when you lose most of your team is to get transfers. Since there is no Benimon in the mix, this was going to be rough start. Blame him for Howard and Sanders. Fobbs is going to be fine and hope he gets better by conference time.

Who cares if we beat Wesley or Temple? This program was lucky to get 10 wins every season no matter who they played in the past.