• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TigerFan54

why we lost 4 of our last 5

TU12, I don’t always agree with you, but I do agree with (some) of your take in the above post. Weather cannot be an excuse for yesterday (I don’t think the coaching staff is using it as such). Staff had almost a week to prep, knowing that it was likely to rain. Let’s face it, for the most part, the only way we were going to win games this year was via shootout. We need better players (what program doesn’t) but we also need much better schemes on O &D, & that’s where the coaching staff ought be held accountable. 

I don’t agree that making the playoffs was merely “cute.” I believe there are over 100 FCS teams. To be in the top 24 ain’t bad. I hope it boosts recruiting, though the championship game run in 2013 didn’t. 

I also don’t agree the program is regressing, but the goal should be to make the playoffs every year, rather than it being a once every 5 year anomaly. 

This is a big offseason. We really need to upgrade the D big time, & fine tune the O. If we don’t, then I fear will will regress.

The rain wasn’t an excuse but it was a factor in the game. The snow would have been a factor in South Dakota. My biggest worry was that this team wasn’t built for a long run because we couldn’t run the ball effectively between the tackles. Not good in bad weather conditions. Yet if Shane doesn’t fumble there, we’re probably discussing SD State,

Bottom line is that this team backed into the playoffs and was never going to be a title contender. The issue is there is more than just fine tuning that needs to be fixed. The cornerback play was terrible down the stretch but I think this team lived and died by Flacco. 

The rest of the team isn't good enough to make up for poor QB play. When Tom was on we won, when he was off we lost. 

We need to add more pieces on defense so that when Tom has his mediocre games , we can make up for it. 

Hello,

First time poster. I wanted to bring up the complete dysfunction in the second half. You run all over them in the first half, well, enough to hold the game in your hands. Then, you shift to a completely wet passing game for no reason. You can't pass. You repeatedly pass it. It's not successful. You keep doing it. Over and over again. I noticed that when Towson ran once every 20 plays in the second, they got about 3 yards minimally. 

It was absolutely horrid playcalling. 

Edited by cjohns89
Typo
  • Like 1

Welcome to the board. Let's take a look at 2nd half PBP or just the third quarter because once they got down by two TDs, they couldn't just run the ball. Also factor in that Shane was hurt and they had just one back. So in three drives in the third quarter before Duquesne took a 24-10 lead in the fourth, they had 8 rushes and 5 throws. They did have 3rd and 2 after two decent Kobe Young runs and should not have thrown on that possession. Bad play calls yes. The others? I don't know that if we go 90% run that we get downfield like the Dukes were able to do. Two smallish RBs in a torrential downpour is not a recipe for success. 

Towson at 12:15
TOTAL 3 plays , 8 yards Time of Possession: 1:33
1st and 10 at TOWSON23 TOWSON drive start at 12:15.
1st and 10 at TOWSON23 Young,K. rush for 5 yards to the TOWSON28 (STANBACK, B.;CARTER, Kam).
2nd and 5 at TOWSON28 Young,K. rush for 3 yards to the TOWSON31 (ZANOTTO, Brett;DEMEDAL, S.).
3rd and 2 at TOWSON31 Flacco,T. pass incomplete to Gallahan,S..
4th and 2 at TOWSON31 Toomey,P. punt 40 yards to the DUQ29, downed.
Towson at 09:33
Towson at 09:33
TOTAL 3 plays , 6 yards Time of Possession: 1:19
1st and 10 at TOWSON37 TOWSON drive start at 09:33.
1st and 10 at TOWSON37 Flacco,T. pass complete to Clark,C. for 1 yard to the TOWSON38.
2nd and 9 at TOWSON38 Simpson,S. rush for 5 yards to the TOWSON43 (CLAYTON JR., H.).
3rd and 4 at TOWSON43 Flacco,T. pass incomplete to Leatherbury,S. (DEBRITO, L.).
4th and 4 at TOWSON43 Toomey,P. punt 30 yards to the DUQ27, downed.
Duquesne 17-10 Towson  
Towson at 05:09
TOTAL 7 plays , 19 yards Time of Possession: 2:35
1st and 10 at DUQ47 TOWSON drive start at 05:09.
1st and 10 at DUQ47 Simpson,S. rush for 7 yards to the DUQ40 (CLAYTON JR., H.).
2nd and 3 at DUQ40 Flacco,T. rush for loss of 1 yard to the DUQ41 (DEBRITO, L.;ROBERTS, Abner).
3rd and 4 at DUQ41 Flacco,T. rush for 8 yards to the DUQ33, 1ST DOWN TOWSON (O'MALLEY, Mike).
1st and 10 at DUQ33 Flacco,T. pass incomplete to Allen,J..
2nd and 10 at DUQ33 Simpson,S. rush for loss of 3 yards to the DUQ36 (ROBERTS, Abner;O'MALLEY, Mike).
3rd and 13 at DUQ36 Flacco,T. rush for 8 yards to the DUQ28, out-of-bounds.
4th and 5 at DUQ28 Flacco,T. pass incomplete to Allen,J., QB hurry by AUSIELLO, Peter.

Sponsor Spot #1

Need to put most of the scholarships this offseason towards defensive players. The CAA is too good to be weak on D.

The offense is in a good shape to re-load next year

The coaches need some new pieces as well. QB coach to prime Flacco? New offensive coordinator mind to ultimately replace Jammer. The players seem to like Lyndon and Kosmakos but it seems like we need more football minds to get to the next level.

With no basketball worth paying attention to this year we'll all be twiddling our thumbs for next year's football campaign.

I guess we root for JMU or Maine to win it all now? 

I'd rather root for Maine, but if their QB Ferguson is still hurt, I don't like their chances. JMU vs. Colgate will be interesting given Colgate's supposedly stellar defense.  We'll see how that works out.

One final postmortem comment on our game: Only once have I heard RA say he got outcoached, but I think he could say that this time. Yes, if Shane doesn't fumble, we probably win. But maybe we don't, because DU coaches showed the ability to adjust their game plan. They could have come back from 17-0 if we failed to anticipate their adjustments, or failed to respond with our own. RA typically puts the blame on his players ("we need all 11 guys going to the ball," etc.) but he needs to look in the mirror -- and at the coaches on his left and right.

29 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

I'd rather root for Maine, but if their QB Ferguson is still hurt, I don't like their chances. JMU vs. Colgate will be interesting given Colgate's supposedly stellar defense.  We'll see how that works out.

One final postmortem comment on our game: Only once have I heard RA say he got outcoached, but I think he could say that this time. Yes, if Shane doesn't fumble, we probably win. But maybe we don't, because DU coaches showed the ability to adjust their game plan. They could have come back from 17-0 if we failed to anticipate their adjustments, or failed to respond with our own. RA typically puts the blame on his players ("we need all 11 guys going to the ball," etc.) but he needs to look in the mirror -- and at the coaches on his left and right.

So what did Duquesne do differently other run that screen? It rained harder in the second half so that helped their D.