• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Football gets crushed by Duquesne in the rain, 31-10 in FCS Playoff opener

RA Opening Comments
(Thanks everybody, the band, fans, alums, etc.) Tough loss. Any end of the season is a tough loss. But it ends, we never want it to end. These guys made a little bit of history, they made a difference and they brought back respetability to our program on a national level. For that I am truly grateful.

Flacco on rain
You have to go out there and not let it affect you. You have throw the ball as well as you can. The balls were pretty wet today but you have to go out there and try to be successful.

On the red zone
I don't know. If I knew them, I would have solved them and it wouldn't be an issue. Execute the play, maybe when I'm down there, I try to do too much. We have to get better than that in the offseason.

Ambrose on end of first half and punt on 4th and 5
Momentum-wise, maybe? When you are playing in trash weather like this, it's a field position game period. People are going to make plays. What would have happened if we didn't get the first down. Now I'm putting them that much closer to going the distance. I don't second guess it at all. I wish we would have downed the ball at the 5 instead of letting it roll but we didn't do that. We've done a pretty good job of it all year. Pat (Toomey) has done a great job. Them getting points at the end of the half did give them momentum. But the difference was their drive at the beginning of the third quarter. We did not stop them. We gave up big plays and we got the ball run down our throat the entire second half.  So they got momentum and they pushed us around.

On Hines
He's very good. In games like this, all across the country, there's not a wide open spread team that is playing in this weather that's really successful offensively. It's the team that has the big back, who knows how to pound the ball. They are the ones that will usually come out on top in days like this and there's a reason why he was a Jerry Rice Award winner. He's a very good back. He would do great in our league, great in their league, great in any league he plays in.

On Red Zone issues
Huge. When you get to the half inch line and you give them the ball, it doesn't get any worse. Shane has done a great job of holding onto the ball all year. There's a reason he's first-team all-conference. There's a reason why guys on the next level are paying attention. But even great guys have mistake moments. There's nobody that hates that moment more than him. There had been more chances for us but we just didn't take advantage of it.

Diondre Wallace on 2nd half
They have a good back and they excecuted their gameplan. They made their plays. They gave it too us pretty bad in the second half. 

On run defense
Both of the teams were good. So are we. Those guys get coached too. Those guys are on scholarship. They have respect for us, we have respect for them. They made their plays. Both teams the last two weeks. Hats off to those guys. 

On last four seasons
Since Day 1, it's our togetherness. Just wanting to be around each other, the comraderie. Wanting to work. We had a bad taste in our mouths and we wanted to change. I could tell that this team was going to be difference. Our coaches did a great job in doing their job to bring guys in to help us. (then gets emotional)

Ambrose on loss stings
Forever. As does every single one that I can remember since I was a child. There's not a football player or coach who doesn't dump his entire soul into every waking hour and some not awake in. It's a different life. It's an invested life. The losses hurt a hell a lot more than than people who have jobs they are not invested in. This is not a job, it's a calling. So yeah, this one will haunt me....I can recall the entire fourth quarter of the 2011 games. I can recall all those games in 2011. The safety against Lehigh and the crazy kickoff that haunted me for awhile. Learn from those. They all hurt and they are supposed to hurt.

On recruiting on season
It helps a lot. The success helps but the difference is that we are not going to fall into the same traps that hurt us in 2013 after we had that run. The pool of talent that we had access to grew immensely. With that large pool of talent, came some character issues that drug us down for quite some time. We're recruiting the right kind of guys that represent us well on the football field with how they play the game and represent my diploma, how they live life off the field. Recruiting has gotten increasingly better over the years and it's going to get better.