• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Needs for next season

Instead of clamoring for changes of the head coach, the  DC and OC, and who knows at this point if changes will be made, how about let's talk about what this team needs to be more than just a bubble playoff team.

Let's start with the D-line. We were absolutely run over in the last two games. We got very little pass rush all season without a blitz. I thought the additions of Charles Garrett at 6-3, 310 and Ricky DeBerry would help. It didn't. Garrett is gone and DeBerry was just ok.  Deberry had just one tackle. ONE. At least had a QB Hurry.

DeBerry, who should move to ILB, had just 2.5 sacks. Bryce Carter led with 6.5 sacks and had 52 tackles. He's back, Malik Tyne is back, but we still need a difference-maker. We lose both DTs in Harps-Upshur and N. Cook. Basically, we have to re-tool there and hope that Khalil Gary comes in at 6-3, 325 and can play right away and maybe John Mullins at 6-4, 290 will finally be ready. I don't think he even saw the field this year as a r-freshman.

Finding another TWO defensive linemen transfers are a MUST. We have to get a difference-maker up front. Secondary has everybody back save for Monty Fenner. Jamal Gay ended up starting in the playoff game and led us in tackles as a true freshman. There were some very good DB recruits this season and I would let them all fight for jobs in the spring. Everybody is back. No transfers needed though maybe at safety to replace Fenner. Reeves obviously wasn't the answer since he lost his job to a freshman. 

LBs should be ok with Dymelle Parker and Nygill Johnson hopefully getting more time next season with Wallace gone. Heyward and Paye are back but it seems like they wore down late in the season. Maybe they were overplayed though I know Tedder got some time late but he's gone.

Coaching on offense. How the hell can you just throw out the Pistol on the field when you know the game is going to be played in serious rain. What they didn't have was a big back available with Yeedee out with an injury. You have to be creative. Use Ellis at fullback. Go more power and have Flacco play under center. Use Stover more as a runner. Use Knudson more in that wildcat. I'm talking about when you get inside the 20. That spread shit is not working and hasn't all year. Even with Yeedee in, they weren't able to run well in the red zone. They have to go back to the shop and stop with a more power running game. Cheripko at guard will help next season but we need to be meaner and tougher up front and go back to using fullbacks when it gets down and dirty. Adding another big back is also a MUST next season. I don't care if it's a freshmen or a transfer.

We could probably use one more big WR. Assuming Clark is back, we need him healthy because he's a weapon.

But to improve next season? Need a big back, two transfers on the D-line, possibly a safety transfer, another big WRs. If the DC is back, they have go to get better against the run and improve their gap control. Having a stronger D-line is the key with pass rush and to get in the backfield on occasion. The OC needs to get better in the red zone. It's not just about having a big back but better play-calling and going more power. You don't have to go full house backfield but you need to try something different inside the 25.

Top of my wish list is D-line. I thought Garrett was a junior this year, but you said he’s gone (not sure it makes much difference, in any event).

O could use a RB like that kid Hines from Duquesne. If they can get a 225 lb guy who ran for 1,300 yards this season (not counting today) why can’t we?

I hope Clark comes back. If not we need a TE. Whatever happened to Myles Wright?

Can never have enough O Lineman & playmakers, so let’s add a WR or two. Whatever happened to Greaves?

With all this, I still believe a new OC & DC are needed.

Greaves is around. He just gets hurt too much. He got some PT the last two games. He'll be back and I think Dorsey redshirted, so you have two speedy sophomores. Dorsey can also return kicks and take some pressure off of Simpson. Clark has two years left so hopefully he's back. Myles Wright is just a r-freshman. Knudson and Green were seniors and better blockers. I assume he'll play a lot more next season assuming he improves his blocking. 

I really don't know if there is going to be a coordinator change. Even if there is an OC change, it's still Rob's offense.

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

Instead of clamoring for changes of the head coach, the  DC and OC, and who knows at this point if changes will be made, how about let's talk about what this team needs to be more than just a bubble playoff team.

Let's start with the D-line. We were absolutely run over in the last two games. We got very little pass rush all season without a blitz. I thought the additions of Charles Garrett at 6-3, 310 and Ricky DeBerry would help. It didn't. Garrett is gone and DeBerry was just ok.  Deberry had just one tackle. ONE. At least had a QB Hurry.

DeBerry, who should move to ILB, had just 2.5 sacks. Bryce Carter led with 6.5 sacks and had 52 tackles. He's back, Malik Tyne is back, but we still need a difference-maker. We lose both DTs in Harps-Upshur and N. Cook. Basically, we have to re-tool there and hope that Khalil Gary comes in at 6-3, 325 and can play right away and maybe John Mullins at 6-4, 290 will finally be ready. I don't think he even saw the field this year as a r-freshman.

Finding another TWO defensive linemen transfers are a MUST. We have to get a difference-maker up front. Secondary has everybody back save for Monty Fenner. Jamal Gay ended up starting in the playoff game and led us in tackles as a true freshman. There were some very good DB recruits this season and I would let them all fight for jobs in the spring. Everybody is back. No transfers needed though maybe at safety to replace Fenner. Reeves obviously wasn't the answer since he lost his job to a freshman. 

LBs should be ok with Dymelle Parker and Nygill Johnson hopefully getting more time next season with Wallace gone. Heyward and Paye are back but it seems like they wore down late in the season. Maybe they were overplayed though I know Tedder got some time late but he's gone.

Coaching on offense. How the hell can you just throw out the Pistol on the field when you know the game is going to be played in serious rain. What they didn't have was a big back available with Yeedee out with an injury. You have to be creative. Use Ellis at fullback. Go more power and have Flacco play under center. Use Stover more as a runner. Use Knudson more in that wildcat. I'm talking about when you get inside the 20. That spread shit is not working and hasn't all year. Even with Yeedee in, they weren't able to run well in the red zone. They have to go back to the shop and stop with a more power running game. Cheripko at guard will help next season but we need to be meaner and tougher up front and go back to using fullbacks when it gets down and dirty. Adding another big back is also a MUST next season. I don't care if it's a freshmen or a transfer.

We could probably use one more big WR. Assuming Clark is back, we need him healthy because he's a weapon.

But to improve next season? Need a big back, two transfers on the D-line, possibly a safety transfer, another big WRs. If the DC is back, they have go to get better against the run and improve their gap control. Having a stronger D-line is the key with pass rush and to get in the backfield on occasion. The OC needs to get better in the red zone. It's not just about having a big back but better play-calling and going more power. You don't have to go full house backfield but you need to try something different inside the 25.

That spread shit is not working and hasn't all year. Even with Yeedee in, they weren't able to run well in the red zone. They have to go back to the shop and stop with a more power running game. Cheripko at guard will help next season but we need to be meaner and tougher up front and go back to using fullbacks when it gets down and dirty. Adding another big back is also a MUST next season. I don't care if it's a freshmen or a transfer.

Amen to that! 👆🏻 Been saying that all season. I did notice they used a fullback a few times today, although not sure how much it helped. 

On 11/24/2018 at 9:30 PM, Blk&goldfan said:

That spread shit is not working and hasn't all year. Even with Yeedee in, they weren't able to run well in the red zone. They have to go back to the shop and stop with a more power running game. Cheripko at guard will help next season but we need to be meaner and tougher up front and go back to using fullbacks when it gets down and dirty. Adding another big back is also a MUST next season. I don't care if it's a freshmen or a transfer.

Amen to that! 👆🏻 Been saying that all season. I did notice they used a fullback a few times today, although not sure how much it helped. 

That was poorly worded on my part. I didn't mean that the Spread didn't work at all but not as well in the red zone. That's when you have to get more physical.

Besides the obvious staff changes (all should be gone). Defense needs to be improved. Serious question, do they watch tape? They allow most teams 5-10 yards before contact. The line just gets pushed and no one gets off blocks.  By that time our secondary takes the worst angles ever seen 

offensive play calling a joke and need to be rectified 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

gotta get rid of the tag a long little bro and have rob do the play calling again

from my "insider" knowledge Rob often tells Jammer to fuck off and does his own play

• Like 2

On 11/24/2018 at 9:39 PM, mat1992 said:

That was poorly worded. I didn't mean that the Spread didn't work at all but not as well in the red zone. That's when you have to get more physical.

I get what your saying, I agree. Obviously the team wouldn’t have gotten as far as they did without it. I’m just used to watching a power run high school team. That brings me to a question, the announcer on tv said Towson completely changed their offense to suit Flacco. This is my first year following the Tigers so is that true and if so what kind of offense did they run in the past?