• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB downs Loyola, 85-69 (story up)

https://towsontigers.com/boxscore.aspx?id=10633&path=mbball

https://towsontigers.com/news/2018/11/25/mens-basketball-towson-comes-on-strong-to-beat-loyola.aspx

Good win. Any win is good at this juncture after the Bahamas debacle. Fortunately, the transfers came through. Good move to start Dennis Tunstall, who played 30 minutes. Sanders, Howard and Fobbs combined for 62 points. Defense wasn't great but much better in the second half. Loyola shot 52% in the first half but just 27% in the second half. Still gave up too many backdoor layups, especially by the freshmen guards. But they defended and contested shots much better in second stanza.

My first look at this year's team.  Overall was more impressed than I expected to be.  Sure it's a PL team.  But a decent one at that.  

Looking at the season stats before the game, with no one averaging in double figures I was wondering where the points will come from.  

As the second half showed, both Fobbs and Howard are capable of scoring.   Mat has mentioned several times in the preseason that Fobbs is good at getting to the rim.   I'll definitley echo that sentiment.  And most importantly finishing there.  

Also nice to see Howard make the FT's down the stretch and 81% for the team in the 2nd half is a nice change.  

Was very impressed with Sanders performance 14 and 9 and only 1 TO.   Which pleased Skerry.  He said afterward that Sanders had the ratio of assists to turnover backwards.  Ha 

But he is strong inside and again I know it was a smaller opponent then he will face in league play.  So we shall see.  But good signs. 

Timberlake was very good with the ball in transition.   One particular fast break in the first half.  He could rightly have been credited with two assists on one play.   They were they good of passes. 

Obviously he struggled on defense, continually getting beat 1-1 and backdoor.   That will probably limit his minutes until he improves.  I hope he does because I can see him as a solid contributor with the ball. 

Alex looked very good even on a couple power moves to the basket early on.   One of them I commented was probably the most athletic move I've seen him make in four years. 

Vermont will be a huge test. Anthony Lamb is on the watch list for Mid-Major POY.  

Hope for a good turnout for what should be a very good game. 

• Like 1

This was a good game because it was close (2 possession game) from the under 8 TO until they went into foul mode.  Haven't had a game like this with this group and it can only build confidence.

The Good: Nice comeback, Shot FT's well

The Bad: Letting Kostecka torch us in the first half. Getting beat routinely back door

Loyola with a rpi of 308. We are sitting at 264. For reference, Vermont is 178. 

Edited by sr16