• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to Vermont by 6

Definitely demoralizing to Skerry.

But with that being said, I was encouraged by some of the things I saw tonight. Vermont is a solid mid major and we’re only going to improve. 

Thomas definitely had some nagging injury as he was on the bike during timeouts or when he was on the bench. His defense is excellent but he can't move. Sanders has to stop picking up silly fouls. He struggled as much as Al in terms of finishing but he could be an asset. As I said before, if those transfers don't score double digits, we're not winning games. At least not at this point in the season. Perimeter defense was also atrocious. That's why you can play Timberlake and Betrand gets lost sometimes. If either could play D and well, Timberlake isn't giving much on O right now, they'd be playing ahead of Jordan, who missed two layups so badly, it was embarrassing.

Comments after the game from Skerry

Vermont is good. We knew that. The last couple of minutes we fought to come back, we made some errors. That's correctable through game experience. Our attention to detail with our perimeter guys guarding threes was not good. That was the focus all week. Three of our guys made the same errors (coming out of the second half). That cost us the ballgame. For me now, I need two guys that can guard wing scorers because that's what the CAA is. Riller, Wright-Foreman, guys at Northeastern. We don't have that yet. We have a chance to get there. That piece was disappointing. We didn't finish great all night. Missed a lot of shots at the rim. The defensive detail on some of their ball screen action was inexcusable. Obviously, I didn't get the message across.

They ran two little good actions. We went back over it at halftime. For us to make the same error, the kid Duncan made the same play. They were running spread ball screen with shake action. Three different times our guy is in the corner, he sunk right in to take the roll guy, which is not what he's supposed to do. We just went through it. I burnt (TO) early. We adjusted and got back in the ballgame. You can't do that. Lesson learned. We're not there yet.

On Lamb

They are not going to beat us with two's (said in the pregame). Lamb is a terrific player but Al and Dennis are good defenders. That's their deal. He reminds me of Brantley. Twos are not going to beat us. Threes are going to beat us and that beat us tonight. They average 25 attempts. Our big key was 20 and zero. Make them into one-on-one guys. We did not do that. That's a really good ballclub.

On offense

They play pretty good defense. I thought we missed a lot of shots at the rim. Then we got in transition because they were tired but we didn't finish plays. We can't both four or five open court plays. Those are plays in a high-level game that you have to make. When guys play strong off two feet, we can get to the foul line, we can find the next guys. There are bunch of those that we botched. Those are fixable but the defensive miscues are not excusable at this point.

I thought guys were excited. Good crowd, good team. We've tried to slow down since we got back from the Bahamas. I don't want quick shots unless we're in transition. That's not the recipe for success.

On freshmen

I thought Jakigh gave us a really good boost in the second half. Timberlake missed some days at practice this week. Those guys are capable of playing better. Solomon is playing pretty good. Those guys have to provide trust defensively. They play at their pace like Northeastern or Charleston. You can't commit a silly foul. You can't forget about attention to detail. We played hard. We're getting better. The theme this week was execution is the answer. I'll take holding them to 40% (from the field). We just didn't do a good enough job against a team that relies on the three.

54 minutes ago, BradTU said:

I’d like to see more of Dottin at point and move Howard to the wing. Dottin brings a ton of energy to both ends of the floor. 

I am not enamored with Dottin's game but there is something to his energy. He doesn't know when to shoot and when to pass but defensively, he does have potential. I don't if you want Howard playing the 2 defensively but you need him on the court at least 25 minutes for his shooting. Maybe playing him off the ball, he can get more shots but to be honest, I think Fobbs needs the ball even more. He can drive, he shoot it from deep and he makes his FTs. Even better than Zane in that department.

On 11/30/2018 at 10:43 PM, Tiger1stRow said:

No hustle from Alex Thomas tonight getting up and down the court. He didn't seem right but then again it always seems to be something with him.

This.. I mean last man up and down the court every possession. I get you play the 5 but he doesn't look in shape. 

4 hours ago, sr16 said:

This.. I mean last man up and down the court every possession. I get you play the 5 but he doesn't look in shape. 

Appears to be injured. Was on the stationary bike when he wasn’t playing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Appears to be injured. Was on the stationary bike when he wasn’t playing.

Talking to a friend with some inside info, says something is wrong with his knee. Should be sitting, but Lack of depth at position. At this point, I wonder if he should be playing any further with how slow he looks.