• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

Skerry recruits who’ve stayed

I offer the following for discussion:

This is Skerry’s 8th year. Unless I’m forgetting anyone, I believe the following is a list of his recruits who’ve stayed their entire collegiate career at TU: If I’ve forgotten anyone, let me know.

Timaj Parker-Rivera. A real scrapper. Averaged 5.7 ppg & 5.2 boards;

John Davis: Very solid contributor, averaging 9.6 ppg & 6.1 boards;

Mike Morsell:  Scored 1,500 points in his TU career, which I assume puts him in the upper echelon in school history. He averaged 11.7 ppg;

Eddie Keith: He had his moments as a role player, finishing his career averaging 5.9 ppg; 

Jordan McNeil: A nominal contributor on the floor;

Alex Thomas: A nominal contributor on the floor.

After 8 seasons, no Skerry recruit who has stayed the entire time has averaged more than 11.7 ppg for their career.

I don't get it.  We rip Skerry because he doesn't get enough guys to stay 4 years but we are all pretty aware that mid-major success is tied to playing the transfer game well.  We can't play both sides of this.  I honestly don't care if we win with 4 years players, D1 transfers or JuCo transfers. I just want the talent here however they can get here.  The guys who are in the program mostly improve during their time here.  Whether it is Bennimon during his year out, JD and Morsell during their 4 years, or even a guy like Zane who bailed on us.  He went from a 6th man to a 19 ppg scorer.  

Davis and Morsell both made All-CAA teams during their career

TPR was All-CAA defense as well

I get killing Skerry for the X's and O's thing, but for me its about the Jimmy's and Joe's.  The talent level coming into this program in the last 5 years has drastically increased.  We are all aligned that we aren't yet where we want to be but it's crazy to be picky about where the talent is coming from. 

Edited by griggey20
  • Like 1

I think you are missing the point. No one, at least in my opinion, is ripping Skerry in regard to 4 year players. You can make the case that the talent level has increased over the past 5 years. 

As I see it, all that any detractors is saying is that it has been 8 years and his teams have won nothing substantial and not even gotten to a conference championship game. How much time does a coach get to produce. Without question, the program is more competitive than when he got to Towson, but that is a terribly low bar. 

4 year players, 1 year players, transfers, no one cares. What the Tiger faithful want is a meaningful win. I don’t see one on the horizon.

28 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

I don't get it.  We rip Skerry because he doesn't get enough guys to stay 4 years but we are all pretty aware that mid-major success is tied to playing the transfer game well.  We can't play both sides of this.  I honestly don't care if we win with 4 years players, D1 transfers or JuCo transfers. I just want the talent here however they can get here.  The guys who are in the program mostly improve during their time here.  Whether it is Bennimon during his year out, JD and Morsell during their 4 years, or even a guy like Zane who bailed on us.  He went from a 6th man to a 19 ppg scorer.  

Davis and Morsell both made All-CAA teams during their career

TPR was All-CAA defense as well

I get killing Skerry for the X's and O's thing, but for me its about the Jimmy's and Joe's.  The talent level coming into this program in the last 5 years has drastically increased.  We are all aligned that we aren't yet where we want to be but it's crazy to be picky about where the talent is coming from. 

I think you are missing the point trying to be made... 4 year players here are a model of consistency... JUCOs coming and going, is like rebuilding every two years. They are band aids. They were also trying to say that the kids either leave by their own choice or by staff choice way to quickly and frequently where there seems to be some type of issue.

I agree that players get better in their sit out year with us, but I disagree with the fact that most get better, but then again with some staying less than 2 years its difficult to do much.

• Like 1

The discussion that goes on over 4 year players, 2 years, transfers and graduate transfers is somewhat interesting. However, the bottom line is to win something meaningful, whatever it takes. That is the formula that has not yet been figured out by this coaching staff. 

Each coach has his or her own style. That is fine, as long as it produces the desired result. We are still waiting. 

As the person who started this thread, my primary goal was to stimulate discussion. But I do admit it’s interesting (at least to me) that there hasn’t been a 4-year player in the Skerry era who has finished his career averaging more than 12ppg.

If we shift the conversation to transfers & JUCO’s, I don’t recall off the top of my head any really successful JUCO players in the Skerry era. As to transfers, Skerry obviously hit a home run with Benimon, though that was at the very beginning of Skerry’s tenure. Moto was good (on some occasions very good) though he was no Benimon (few are). McGlynn had his moments, and Morman did too, before he got booted off the team, that is.

Totally forgot about Guthrie. Averaged 10ppg for his 2 years here. Best JUCO by far in the Skerry era. 

Burwell was a decent transfer.  He also averaged about 10ppg in his 2 years here.

As you point out, they were both years ago, in any event. More recent JUCO’s (Ivory, Starr & Howard) have been less successful. 

Edited by TSU88

Fobbs has a chance to be a pretty good juco transfer. Howard not so much though again, I think he's more of a combo guard.