• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
BoogerJ

Reality Check

10 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Interesting, I just checked out UMBC’s home attendance so far this season. They’ve played 3 home games (Shenandoah, Manhattan & American). Largest single game attendance thus far...slightly over 1,100

I'll have to ask the UMBC guys what the deal is. That's awful. Understandable for Shenandoah but you would think they'd market the program better. I haven't really seen much in terms of UMBC marketing other than they have a coaches show. That's an exciting team. They put up 91 points at Drexel. They've been up and down but they are clearly the better team than us. 

Yeah, I would have thought their attendance out of the gate this year would have been higher. Factors: fame  is fleeting (Jarius Lyles is in the G League now); primarily a commuter school; opponents not big name teams.

As for Tuesday, I’ll be there. Predicting a 15-20 point UMBC W. Hope I’m wrong. 

I'm looking forward to seeing their new building and also a potential lineup change. I assume PS goes back to Timberlake in the starting role and possibly Dottin, if he's healthy enough. I was thinking about going small with Fobbs at the 4 but they got brutalized on the boards on two straight possessions with that small lineup. It's something to ponder though against the press though I'd rather have Howard and Dottin playing at the same time.

16 hours ago, BoogerJ said:

Stadium Expansion?  What kind of ridiculous mindset is that?

As Mat eluded to, this is the basketball page so maybe getting into stadium expansion is not for the page, but since it was mentioned here, here is what I think.

Not knowing if this is true or not, just an opinion based on being part of stadium expansion/building in the past. (Not directly, but have been privy to meetings and discussions of venues that have been built over the past 15 to 20 years.

Yes we think of the U as a football stadium, but how many times does that get used for football games?  5 or 6 times a year?  Add lacrosse and other sports and that facility is used maybe 50 to 60 times a year for ticketed events?  Maybe the expansion of the stadium has football in mind for 5% of it but maybe big picture they are expanding in order to entice other events to come to the U as well.   What exactly those events are and would require a larger venue I don't know, but outdoor concerts are becoming bigger and bigger.  Hosting other NCAA events and tournament host.  There are countless uses for a building that is dark close to 66% of the year.  These other events can be another source of revenue for the school which could go towards athletics.

Just a thought

• Like 1

With regard to "big time" donors to the program, does Towson Athletics have any major benefactors?  I know we don't exactly have any T. Boone Pickens-level donors, obviously, but is there a significant, well-known donor to Towson Athletics?  Does anyone know what the single largest donation to TU athletics has ever been?

Edited by AtlantaTiger

1 hour ago, Blazer49 said:

As Mat eluded to, this is the basketball page so maybe getting into stadium expansion is not for the page, but since it was mentioned here, here is what I think.

Not knowing if this is true or not, just an opinion based on being part of stadium expansion/building in the past. (Not directly, but have been privy to meetings and discussions of venues that have been built over the past 15 to 20 years.

Yes we think of the U as a football stadium, but how many times does that get used for football games?  5 or 6 times a year?  Add lacrosse and other sports and that facility is used maybe 50 to 60 times a year for ticketed events?  Maybe the expansion of the stadium has football in mind for 5% of it but maybe big picture they are expanding in order to entice other events to come to the U as well.   What exactly those events are and would require a larger venue I don't know, but outdoor concerts are becoming bigger and bigger.  Hosting other NCAA events and tournament host.  There are countless uses for a building that is dark close to 66% of the year.  These other events can be another source of revenue for the school which could go towards athletics.

Just a thought

Yes thinking about future HS events and lax quarterfinals 

16 hours ago, sr16 said:

I think if you build it they will come 

Nice movie line, not reality.

SECU Arena was built and no one comes. Unitas Stadium was built, and no one comes.  Final Four in Lacrosse and Zero Sellouts.  National Championship Game in Football and not a single sellout.  

I love that a handful of people on a messageboard want to expand a stadium to 30,000, but who are the ones writing the checks?  Alums dont give.  Student Fees? They are paying too much already.  Corporate?  Why would anyone invest in expanding a stadium with no demand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

Yes thinking about future HS events and lax quarterfinals 

So you would spend $20,000,000 on the ability to host HS Football Championships and Lax Quarterfinals one day a year - two if you include women?

Show me how these numbers make sense?

• Like 1