• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
BoogerJ

Reality Check

1 hour ago, BoogerJ said:

So you would spend $20,000,000 on the ability to host HS Football Championships and Lax Quarterfinals one day a year - two if you include women?

Show me how these numbers make sense?

Nice movie line, not reality.

SECU Arena was built and no one comes. Unitas Stadium was built, and no one comes.  Final Four in Lacrosse and Zero Sellouts.  National Championship Game in Football and not a single sellout.  

I love that a handful of people on a messageboard want to expand a stadium to 30,000, but who are the ones writing the checks?  Alums dont give.  Student Fees? They are paying too much already.  Corporate?  Why would anyone invest in expanding a stadium with no demand.

Exactly.  No ones wants Towson athletics to succeed more than I do, but the "FBS Dream" and stadium expansion is a joke. We dont have fans know, and to build it for 3 days a year? WTH. 

Another reason it will never been done, the neighborhood.  Could you imagine the uproar?! More events?! concerts?! They would through a shi*t fit. The streets and parking are not conducive to 25k people and another 3000+ cars. Its not easy getting out after games with 6k for football and 2K for hoops

3 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

With regard to "big time" donors to the program, does Towson Athletics have any major benefactors?  I know we don't exactly have any T. Boone Pickens-level donors, obviously, but is there a significant, well-known donor to Towson Athletics?  Does anyone know what the single largest donation to TU athletics has ever been?

I think NewDay USA is our biggest donor

Tiger Fund and Leonard need to be more creative with incentives for donors as well how they market to them. I donate what I can, mostly for better seat locations for my basketball tickets, but anything more than a bumper sticker would be nice. They used to give away some nice items with season tickets for basketball and football, nothing now.  They used to have young alumni season tickets which would be good to bring back.

I was also invited to a Suite for a basketball game with the late president loeschke and others.  It was nicely done and had a good time.  Cant they do something like that? They have suite space, and even do something where the batemans in SECU used to. 

So you would spend $20,000,000 on the ability to host HS Football Championships and Lax Quarterfinals one day a year - two if you include women?

Show me how these numbers make sense?

So we should stay with a D3 mentality forever? 30,000 is too high but no reason why we can’t fill the bowl on one side and add some suites on other side like Navy does. 20,000+ is good enough. This may not happen for awhile if the money is not available. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

So we should stay with a D3 mentality forever? 30,000 is too high but no reason why we can’t fill the bowl on one side and add some suites on other side like Navy does. 20,000+ is good enough. This may not happen for awhile if the money is not available. 

Students at Towson and the community I believe WOULD care if we could go fbs somehow with a 20,000 stadium. Students would rather see a mediocre FBS vs a top tier fcs. Just my insight from 4.5 years at towson as a student. But for the concern of the nearby community. Yeah again I think Towson does NOT do a good job of showcasing how truly instrumental and beneficial Towson is to the community. 

Towson must be prepared to join the “G5 realignment “ when that happens.  North Texas vs ODU in VB , Softball or baseball is killing those depts.  it’s an unsustainable model that will have to change in the next few years.  We must be ready to move with our peer institutions.  It’s very likely that the upper tier of FCS and G5 form a division with a playoff and guaranteed money from the P5 world.  

Edited by RundaPower

18 hours ago, mat1992 said:

While there may be no reason we can’t fill the bowl on one side, the fact is we have not. Towson has had every type of leadership possible. We have had a major league athlete as an AD. We have had an AD whose main focus was staying within a budget. We have had an AD whose actions and personality was mainly behind the scenes. We have had an AD who was braggadocio and spent money he did not have to generate student interest. We have had an AD whose history was as a great fundraiser. And still, the student interest has remained constant. We have a new arena and student interest remains constant. Is it worth going 20 million more in debt to see if that is the solution to a problem that really does not exist with money we do not have.

Towson University is a terrific place with much to be proud of. History has taught us what Towson students want from athletics, under all of the varied types of leadership.

On 12/10/2018 at 2:39 PM, TuTigers2012 said:

Tiger Fund and Leonard need to be more creative with incentives for donors as well how they market to them. I donate what I can, mostly for better seat locations for my basketball tickets, but anything more than a bumper sticker would be nice. They used to give away some nice items with season tickets for basketball and football, nothing now.  They used to have young alumni season tickets which would be good to bring back.

I was also invited to a Suite for a basketball game with the late president loeschke and others.  It was nicely done and had a good time.  Cant they do something like that? They have suite space, and even do something where the batemans in SECU used to. 

100% agree