• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Letter to Tiger Nation from TL

Tiger Nation,

On behalf of Towson University Athletics, I'd like to wish you and your family a healthy and happy holiday season!

As 2018 comes to an end, we certainly have a lot to celebrate as so much was achieved this past year. First and foremost, I'm extremely proud to be leading an athletics department that is full of some of the most hardworking, passionate and dedicated people in the country. Without their support, we could not have been as successful. It is through our coaches and staff that we are able to foster a championship mentality and environment for our Tiger student-athletes.

To reciprocate the support our staff provides for student-athletes, the university has played a vital role to ensure that our department has the resources we need to be successful leaders. I am extremely thankful for Dr. Kim Schatzel's vision for the university and for including Towson Athletics in that vision. Providing opportunities to student-athletes is a focus of our mission, and Dr. Schatzel and the entire university community continues to support us with resources that provide the best competitive opportunities and experiences possible.

On that note, I'd like to congratulate our football team on securing an at-large bid to the Division I FCS Football Championship this past season. Despite a first-round loss to Duquesne, Coach Rob Ambrose, his staff and the team had a really great year all while making a statement in the Colonial Athletic Conference (CAA). The conference named quarterback Tom Flacco the 2018 CAA Offensive Player of the Year and running back Shane Simpson was selected as the 2018 CAA Special Teams Player of the Year. In addition, Towson earned 11 All-CAA selections, including tying a league-high five on the First Team.

I admire the grit and passion displayed by our volleyball program this fall. Their season ended in a 2nd-round CAA playoff loss to top-seeded Hofstra. Their efforts did not go unnoticed as a trio of student-athletes earned post-season recognition by the CAA. Senior right side hitter Jocelyn Kuilan and redshirt senior libero Anna Holehouse were named Second Team All-CAA while freshman outside hitter Emily Jarome was selected to the All-Rookie Team.

Some individuals should be recognized as well. Recent 2018 Track and Field Graduate Megan Kelly made the 2018-19 USA Bobsled & Skeleton national team as a push athlete. Towson University swimmer Jack Saunderson clinched a time of 51.48 seconds in the 100-meter butterfly preliminaries–the fifth-fastest in the world this year, and the second quickest by an American. With that time, Saunderson has qualified for a spot on the U.S. National Team heading to the 2019 World University Games in Italy. We will profile Jack in an upcoming Student-Athlete Spotlight on the Towson Sports Network. I'd also like to recognize that at this moment in time, Kionna Jeter of the women's basketball team is ranked 11th overall in NCAA Divison I women's basketball in points per game, averaging 23.3. You can check on the most recent rankings here.

In addition to sports performance, we continue to make great strides in our efforts to provide championship caliber facilities. Many exciting projects and initiatives are ongoing that will enhance Towson Athletics for years to come. The Towson University field hockey team opened its new field in October, a project that was announced this past spring. This is truly a new era for the program as they are able to play on a water-based carpet, the same FieldTurf used by the International Hockey Federation and endorsed by the National Field Hockey Coaches Association. Other areas of South Campus will receive notable upgrades as well. After homecoming, we broke ground on the first phase of the Lower Practice Fields Projects, which will include two fully lined, turfed surfaces for our field sports, in addition to a lined area for short-sided drills. This phase will include the foundation for phase two: installation for plumbing and electricity to accommodate concessions, bathrooms and lights. Phase two will also include the construction of Tiger Stadium, an intimate stage for the new home of Towson women's soccer. These renovations are the first of several improvements to South Campus, with more information on additional upgrades coming in the near future.

While a huge point of pride, athletic success and facility enhancements are only a partial measure of our progress. Tiger student-athletes continue to earn national merit with their academic performance. The NCAA has released the latest Division I graduation rate data. As a department, Towson stands with an 87% NCAA Graduation Success Rate, the highest success rate among all Division I University of Maryland System (USM) institutions.

Please know that there is so much more that I could brag about, and we have a lot of great ideas in the pipeline. Our staff, coaches and student-athletes are committed to Building Greatness and we will push forward every day. I'd like to thank you for the role you play in supporting Tiger Athletics and our incredible student-athletes. Your loyal and generous support helps create the foundation for our success, allowing our Tigers to succeed and enjoy the unique student-athlete experience that Towson offers them, propelling them on a course of success for the rest of their lives.

I have enjoyed reflecting and sharing these moments of greatness with you. I hope that you find great pride in the achievements of the athletics department and the university as a whole.

I look forward to seeing you at the games in 2019! On behalf of Towson's entire Department of Athletics, please enjoy a safe and prosperous holiday season, and a great start to the new year.

GO TIGERS!

Towson University
Tim Leonard
Director of Athletics
Towson University