• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

New Year's Wish List

Anybody know if baseball will use those new practice fields? Those guys are more hamstrung by the weather, which limits access to Schuerholz, than any other sport. 

Let me add offensive line now that Nick Carnesale is going to graduate early and decline the rest of his eligibility and backup RT Josh Diaz is going to transfer. So we need  a transfer RT and a backup center. They could also move redshirt freshman John Desire to rush right tackle.

On 1/2/2019 at 10:47 AM, TigerFan54 said:

Anybody know if baseball will use those new practice fields? Those guys are more hamstrung by the weather, which limits access to Schuerholz, than any other sport. 

I would think the new practice fields would need to be indoor for that to make sense. if they are just looking for a large area of field turf to keep the ball park grass nice why not just use burdick? much easier with all their stuff right there.

On 1/1/2019 at 7:38 PM, RundaPower said:

Edit... $1mm

Did you have a link or info you can share for the costs you are seeing/hearing? I can't seem to find anything when I Google. People seem to be very secretive about domes in their cost reporting. I wonder if we have even gotten any serious cost quotes.

Since this is a mixed bag of subjects, my wish is that we find the funding to have our own limited TV package since the new(er) CAA commissioner seems content with streaming events.  Something is certainly wrong when low majors see more air time than the Colonial.  Off the top of my head at the very least Northeastern and JMU have ponied up the cash and now the chickens and dragons have combined to strike a deal for basketball with NBC Sports.  Can be frustrating watching TSN with no graphics showing the score or time for the 1st half of the UNCW game, never a shot clock graphic and only the once in a blue moon of Spiro having a sidekick color commentator.

Also, spotted this yesterday on the CAA boards and it really stuck with me.  So I checked out the University of Houston's website to confirm what Houston's president said after stealing (thankfully) the football coach away from WVU.  He was quoted during the football press conference that "we could have an excellent athletics program, because that is an asset to the University.  A mediocre program is not an asset, it's a liability.  We want to be nationally relevant.  You can't be relevant if you're not winning."

Maybe someday...  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tigerone94 said:

Since this is a mixed bag of subjects, my wish is that we find the funding to have our own limited TV package since the new(er) CAA commissioner seems content with streaming events.  Something is certainly wrong when low majors see more air time than the Colonial.  Off the top of my head at the very least Northeastern and JMU have ponied up the cash and now the chickens and dragons have combined to strike a deal for basketball with NBC Sports.  Can be frustrating watching TSN with no graphics showing the score or time for the 1st half of the UNCW game, never a shot clock graphic and only the once in a blue moon of Spiro having a sidekick color commentator.

Also, spotted this yesterday on the CAA boards and it really stuck with me.  So I checked out the University of Houston's website to confirm what Houston's president said after stealing (thankfully) the football coach away from WVU.  He was quoted during the football press conference that "we could have an excellent athletics program, because that is an asset to the University.  A mediocre program is not an asset, it's a liability.  We want to be nationally relevant.  You can't be relevant if you're not winning."

Maybe someday...  

Just curious, what has winning produced at Towson? Did attendance go up after our National Title appearance? After the biggest turnaround in NCAAMB history did we start filling up SECU?  

While I am a glass half full Towson guy I don't that quote equates to Towson athletics.  There is some sort of apathy that has been hanging over our athletic program for decades now.  I don't have the answer to change it but just winning isn't working.  

IMHO, what is needed is a marketing guru. MW did a very good job of getting people excited. He had other issues, but he did get people excited. Someone needs to be hired who can bring a level of excitement. Right now, there does not seem to be any reason to attend a Towson athletic event if you are not a loyal follower of the program. Having these special nights, whether it be education night or military night or first responders night gets stale since everyone uses those. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

IMHO, what is needed is a marketing guru. MW did a very good job of getting people excited. He had other issues, but he did get people excited. Someone needs to be hired who can bring a level of excitement. Right now, there does not seem to be any reason to attend a Towson athletic event if you are not a loyal follower of the program. Having these special nights, whether it be education night or military night or first responders night gets stale since everyone uses those. 

It's status quo with Leonard. No new marketing for games. No new graphics/music/highlights/stats/player insights/commercials at games (UMBC had a ton of ads) No new concession options at games. Batemans up top at the hoops game is no more.  Do they even to the annual Greek event/competition anymore?  Not being on TV really hurts 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigerone94 said:

I was told over Xmas that Delaware and Towson were trying to work something out with NBC Washington DC to get both hoops games on TV.  We'll see if it materializes.  It's a total joke that this commissioner can't negotiate something to get on somewhere.  If he had any smarts, he'd make the schedule Friday-Sunday because there's a ton more opportunity to get basketball on those days rather than the heavily-trafficked Thursday-Sunday days.

As for TSN, frustration is using a nice word.  It doesn't matter if it's basketball, football, or lacrosse, I'm convinced that the person producing/directing those games has never watched a sporting event in their life.  Saturday's game against UNCW was made doubly difficult to watch because the lack of score graphic for the first half combined with the Twitter feed score graphic on the right side (when not in fullscreen mode) being ahead by a minute got you confused real quick.  If you're not in fullscreen mode, you'll get thrown off easily with the play-by-play scroll being out of sync.  

• Like 1