• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TigerFan54

UNCW postmortem

This was the first time I've seen this year's team play in person ... and all it did was confirm what I've seen online. Sanders commits two fouls in the first 1:27 on the game, doesn't finish well around the basket, and turns the ball over too much (though he does have nice form at the foul line). Howard, Dottin and Fobbs couldn't finish on fast breaks (five quick and empty possessions by my count; each went coast to coast without ever looking for a teammate); McNeil shoots 0-8 for the field (and didn't provide any defense that I could see). And our assists stat line continues to be pathetic (8 vs. UNCW's 21).

On the other hand, Solomon impressed me -- he made some nice moves to the basket and pulled down 9 rebounds in just 20 minutes. Tunstall showed an improved shooting touch from the baseline (he always been solid following others' shots) and Howard is our best three-point shooter when, as Mat has pointed out, he's playing the 2. If I were Skerry, I'd start Dottin, Howard, Tunstall, Solomon and Fobbs, with Thomas and Timberlake (when he gets back) first off the bench. McNeil's minutes would diminish (today's 24 is double what he should get), as would Sanders' and Betrand's. Would the starting five wear down? These are young guys, so it's hard to imagine they couldn't handle it -- and they might just develop some chemistry. I just don't see us ever getting much out of Sanders or McNeil; Betrand might develop, but he's a liability right now both on defense and whenever he touches the ball.

One other note: UNCW's freshman point guard, Toews, had 12 assists. He reminded me of UMBC's old PG, Maura. He was quick and he could create. How come every other team out there finds somebody like that, but we can't? (A common complaint here, I know.)

Toews was great in the first half. Pat said the wings were supposed to stay on their men and not help out when he drove. So when they helped, he just found open players in the first half. That changed in the second half but damage was done. He was terrific. Guard from Japan but played HS ball in Mass, which is a Skerry staple. Not sure if we had an interest. He's a lot bigger than Maura and very explosive to the paint. Dottin could not stay in front of him.

A guard from that basketball hotbed of Japan clowned us. What I find interesting is that to hear Skerry tell it, our players were admonished not to help out on him when he drove, since obviously his goal is not to shoot, but to dish off. This being the case, it suggests our players are either tuning Skerry out, or they are lacking in basketball IQ

The kid from Japan was averaging 7.5 assists per game coming into this one and around 7.5 points per game. So he's the rare pass-first, shoot second point guard. It took a half for our guys to figure that out, to not help on him. However, he blew right past Dottin a couple of times and some other guys. We could have not helped  (wings) and gave him 3-4 layups or attempts.

On 1/5/2019 at 6:39 PM, TSU88 said:

A guard from that basketball hotbed of Japan clowned us. What I find interesting is that to hear Skerry tell it, our players were admonished not to help out on him when he drove, since obviously his goal is not to shoot, but to dish off. This being the case, it suggests our players are either tuning Skerry out, or they are lacking in basketball IQ

They have been helping off the wrong players for years.  Any team with average ball movement can get wide open shots, as we run around with chickens with our heads cut off and then close out late on 3's with a foul.

Is that a coaching issue, or is the problem the players aren’t listening or are listening, but just aren’t carrying out the instructions for some (inexplicable) reason? I suppose a combination 

6 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Is that a coaching issue, or is the problem the players aren’t listening or are listening, but just aren’t carrying out the instructions for some (inexplicable) reason? I suppose a combination 

I feel as though its the same year in and year out. By the time conference play begins, the message gets stale, players tune out the staff, they begin bickering.  Also, we haven't had the highest basketball IQ guys over the years, especially compared to other programs. They should be locked in at this time of year, little to no classes, no one else on campus, fewer distractions. FOCUS on the scouting reports, don't freaking leave shooters open and don't help/rotate off of them.

You mention bickering. I noticed there was some back & forth early in the 1st half this past Saturday between Skerry & Dottin. 

Edited by TSU88

32 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

You mention bickering. I noticed there was some back & forth early in the 1st half this past Saturday between Skerry & Dottin. 

That’s because he was taken out early probably due to a missed defensive assignment. He’s a very emotional and demonstrative kid.