• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Cold shooting MBB falls to UNCW, 67-61

Opening Comments from Skerry

"Most CAA games are going to come down to 2-3 possessions per half. The numbers aren't bad on the backboards and defensively but for us, not where they need to be in order to win conference games. The have to be at an elite level. We have to be good defensively, on the glass and take care of the ball. Our whole gameplan was to not help when (Toews) drives. In the first half, he had 10 assists. All we did was help when he drives. For us, only having nine guys, I felt like 3 1/2 were not there mentally today. We're not good enough to absorb that mentally. We're halfway though the season, Close but no cigars, We haven't gotten enough cigars. Evaluate. We tried to play faster on offense. I was critical after Charleston, I don't think we got out and ran enough. Today, I thought we tried to run our misses. Have to check the tape to see how effective at one. Mentally, made a lot of errors.

On 10-0 start

At 1pm yesterday, we went through a walkthrough and film. Last night, we prepped. We're not a team that denies, so we should never give up a backdoor. We gave up a couple. Those plays end up stinging us. All we did was overhelp in the first half. Their wings are catch and shoot guys. We drilled it into our guys. Solomon best game as a Tiger. I have to get him minutes. Thought Brian (Fobbs) hunted shots early. He has to learn to find other guys so the game opens up for him. He's clearly a talent and we need to get another guard around him to make things easier for him.

On Betrand

As a staff, we like Allen. But I don't think he was ready to play. I'm a big believer that bad nights come from within. He's a freshman. He has to play better. 

On nine players

When guys forget a backdoor or are sloppy. If you're not ready, we're not going to win games. I have to do a better job on how we can win close games. It starts with me. I haven't put that puzzle together with this group.

On Sanders (10pt, 12 minutes)

Foolish fouls. I had clips on my computer and watched every foul he had. The guys at Charleston don't foul. John Davis rarely fouled. There are certain plays you can't make. We need him. Every guy that starts at center seems to get in foul trouble. We have to stop doing it. Al's best two games came off the bench. Start him and he fouls early. There are some pieces but they are not together yet. I do like the effort and the guys. We're not playing consistent basketball.

On Timberlake

He's still a ways away. A lot of our sins start with perimeter play. He's good with the ball, strong assist/turnover rate. Can score. Great athlete. We still have to add to that. That's a big focus right now.

We turned their PG into Nate Archibald in his prime. He had 10 assists. Our 2 PG’s combined average 4 assists per game, so it would take them 3 games to do what UNCW’s did in 1.

I have never seen a team like ours where each possession is a life or death struggle to make a basket. We NEVER get easy shots. I’m also starting to believe there is some type of force field that keeps our layups on drives to the basket from going in. Surely if such a stat were kept, we would lead the nation in most missed shots within 1 foot of the basket. Alas, I suspect we would also lead the nation in moronic fouls and mind numbing turnovers.

Again, another joyless experience watching us scratch and claw to score in the high 50’s/low 60’s

Just shut Timberlake down for the season and be over with it. Is it definite that he played too many games to get a redshirt ?

When will any of this ever change?

Edited by TSU88

26 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

We turned their PG into Nate Archibald in his prime. He had 10 assists. Our 2 PG’s combined average 4 assists per game, so it would take them 3 games to do what UNCW’s did in 1.

I have never seen a team like ours where each possession is a life or death struggle to make a basket. We NEVER get easy shots. I’m also starting to believe there is some type of force field that keeps our layups on drives to the basket from going in. Surely if such a stat were kept, we would lead the nation in most missed shots within 1 foot of the basket. Alas, I suspect we would also lead the nation in moronic fouls and mind numbing turnovers.

Again, another joyless experience watching us scratch and claw to score in the high 50’s/low 60’s

Just shut Timberlake down for the season and be over with it. Is it definite that he played too many games to get a redshirt ?

When will any of this ever change?

It won't change this year. Knew this was going to be a rough year. It was over when Martin and Gorham transferred. Was hoping some of the transfers could help but Fobbs is the only legit CAA starter. Timberlake played nine games so he's not redshirting.

If you struggle to get good shots against a team that allows 82 ppg, not sure it really matters who is on other side. The good thing is that PS realizes that we need to push the ball. It may not have helped in producing points but it's the only way we're going to get easy baskets,unless we press but with nine guys, I don't see that happening.