• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

5 stages of grief...

25 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Mat, your 1st paragraph is the perfect indictment of Skerry & his recruiting. Of course we couldn’t run the Princeton offense with Skerry’s players. Of course we struggle with even inbounding the ball with these players. The litany of crazy shots, mind numbing turnovers, no semblance of a half court offense...what’s the common denominator...these are the players Skerry has brought in. 

I never said I was in love with his recruiting though I think the freshmen in this class aren't bad. At least Solomon and Timberlake are future starters. Not sure about Dottin and maybe Betrand. The transfers are another story. After graduation and the transfers of ZM and JG, we were left with role players. That's the whole problem. You can't rely on Jordan McNeill to be your starting two guard or Tunstall to be your starting four. They get you a combined 10 points on most nights. Then you have Al Thomas returning, who is maybe a 4/4 guy? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I totally forgot about Fobbs. Problem is he’s just a temporary placeholder, who’s gone after next season 

Temporary was Jerrelle Benimon and Moto. Unfortunately for Fobbs, he's not surrounded with a lot of talent. Hopefully Gray steps up next season to give him some help.

• Like 1

The freshman need more time to play and develop. Fobbs is a good all around player who has things that he can work on to improve, but passing isn’t one of them. Sure he took a lot of shots lately but that was due to the lack of offensive  output. His role is not a set up role. Howard and Dottin should be your drive and dish players. Skerry overall is not doing a good job at getting the right guys in positions to score with the lack of offensive plays designed to do that. Defensively we are just not that good right now.

11 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Fobbs is a good player. They have to coach him up. He has to have more faith in his teammates. The UMBC game was great but everybody scouts him and every defense tries to stop him. You really don't have to do anything special with the other players. Sanders can score some but when you double him, he turns it over.

Why don't we scout other teams players then?! (I know they do) but seems like they are missing things or the players  are totally tuning it out

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Nothing will change, status quo. 

We will lose a lot of players off this team. Mass exodus of transfers is upon us

I dont agree here 

35 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Why don't we scout other teams players then?! (I know they do) but seems like they are missing things or the players  are totally tuning it out

this tho, decent players who work hard but lacking that bball iq element

1 hour ago, sr16 said:

I dont agree here 

I agree with him. Someone mentioned Skerry needs to address publicly that he needs to change his style completely. Not sure about that and may be difficult since he's been using the same template for years. It's just who he is. One thing he can change is his recruiting of players. You can't have everyone basically the same playing style. Funny I was thinking about that when I was playing full court the other night with a group of guys (and a lady). Had 2-3 good shooters, a scrapper who gets rebounds, awesome D, etc. in myself and a quality pg. Everything just worked and we just killed the competition. Just common sense honestly. How long has he been here now? Since 2011 or so. Sometimes being at the same place gets you stagnant and you need a change of fresh air. I think it is about that time but unfortunately because of absurd contracts he is stuck. I wouldn't be surprised if he would like to try his luck elsewhere as well.

I doubt he’s very marketable right now. That, and the baffling extension he was given not too long ago, suggests he’ll be here for quite some time. 

Whether he’s able (and willing) to change his recruiting remain to be seen. He can keep bringing in guys who pound the glass but can’t shoot & we can continue to struggle to score in the high 50’s/low 60’s or he can recognize that you need quality 3 point shooters & a PG to sprinkle into the mix. I’m not optimistic 

This is very similar to the Ravens and Lamar. The NFL is a passing league. The Ravens brought in something different and it works temporarily until it gets figured out. College basketball is up and down the court and 3 point shooting. Slow down pound the boards, no solid point guard may have worked st one time. Now everyone knows how to beat that style. Brian Magid would be a superstar in today’s college basketball. 

Man, a Brian Magid reference!! Next, you’ll break out JoJo Hunter & James “Turkey” Tilghman. I love it!!!

• Thanks 1