• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

5 stages of grief...

I shouldn’t ask for others to do my research, but what the hell...where do we rank in regards to number of 3’s made & percentage of 3’s made?

49 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

We are 268 in percentage made at 32%

Number isnt AS bad as it could be, as we usually dont take a ton of 3's.

Not eve the %, but the sheer number of 3's compared to others is crazy, especially since we trailed in some of those games and needed to make up points.  Would a high school kid today, rather bang on the boards or play in and open free flowing offense shooting 3's?

2018-19

image.png.92661c5ccd3c598f7e3222ccfb9ffe1a.png

2017-18

image.png.efc46a80882a267a1e1959e4e9250267.png

2016-17

image.png.dcbd8becfd6b6dbab7c69ebc23e3d8be.png

2015-16

image.png.65910111f2ab20c149694c8627eee17c.png

2014-15

image.png.99f19c30138003fd3d7860755e6aa170.png

Miserable. We’ve made the fewest 3’s in the conference & only C of C shoots a worse percentage. Of course, they have 2 guys named Riller & Brantley, so they can get away with it. 

2017-18: we made the 2nd fewest 3’s in the conference 

2016-17: we made the fewest 3’s

2015-16: we made the 3rd fewest 3’s

2014-15: we made the fewest 3’s

We are who I thought we are. Can’t win like this. Does Skerry not grasp this, or is it that he’s unwilling to adapt, or unable to recruit the type of players needed? Those are the only possiblities & none of them are acceptable answers.

4 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I know our big's aren't great scorers on the block, but hell, why not post them up and have them pass out if help comes.  It 1, gives us more spacing and 2. has them closer to the rim for rebounds..  We just have them floating and setting high ball screens outside the 3 point line, its like going 3/4 on 5, which is being friendly since we usually have a liability or two on the floor already.

This might be the first time I've ever agreed with something in one of your posts.  I hate how offense across the board in the sport has become a 'ballscreen'-heavy attack.  For one, it mucks up the spacing on the floor and two, a large percentage of big men don't know how to correctly set a screen (my favorite call to make in a HS game is the moving screen foul because inevitably, a coach will complain about it and I'll tell him his guy was never set or his ballhandler left too early).  I prefer offenses with more off-the-ball movement and setting up your shooters to get their feet set on an open look.  We don't really have anyone who can get by a defender with any regularity and we sure as heck don't have any big guys who are threats on a roll to the basket.  So I have to imagine that when watching tape of us playing, other teams almost laugh at the idea of a ballscreen -- just doubleteam the dribbler and force a turnover.  Sanders, Solomon, and certainly Thomas shouldn't be coming outside of 15 feet anytime within the offense.  Get on the block, post a guy up, develop some moves to get fouled/layup/short jumper and have the IQ (something the vast majority of this team lacks) that when the double arrives, find an open shooter.  Our offense has zero flow and way too much stress on individual playmaking, another something that we lack.  

What bothers me the most about watching this team this season is their amazing lack of basketball sense.  I had a feeling that this was going to be a long year so the results haven't really surprised me.  But what should have been signs of improvement after AC and the win at Elon has crashed to Earth with a total regression.  No one understands defensive responsibilities and there's certainly zero leadership from the players on the court -- not one player has the guts to grab someone else by the jersey and shout some sense into them.  That's the most disappointing part.  I can handle the losses provided that they come because the other team is just better.  Cornell and UNCW and really even Charleston (witness Drexel last night) aren't better than we are but the way we played in those games, Calvert Hall could come out and beat us.

Fundamentals are terrible.  Quite possibly the worst I have ever seen at the collegiate level. No understanding of how to play the game on offense or defense.  You can see that some of these kids don’t buy in to the scheme or the fact that they have to become more sound on both ends.  AAU ball has ruined the sport.  Never thought I would see a Skerry team so unhinged.  Very disappointing 

1 hour ago, Chris Datres said:

This might be the first time I've ever agreed with something in one of your posts.  I hate how offense across the board in the sport has become a 'ballscreen'-heavy attack.  For one, it mucks up the spacing on the floor and two, a large percentage of big men don't know how to correctly set a screen (my favorite call to make in a HS game is the moving screen foul because inevitably, a coach will complain about it and I'll tell him his guy was never set or his ballhandler left too early).  I prefer offenses with more off-the-ball movement and setting up your shooters to get their feet set on an open look.  We don't really have anyone who can get by a defender with any regularity and we sure as heck don't have any big guys who are threats on a roll to the basket.  So I have to imagine that when watching tape of us playing, other teams almost laugh at the idea of a ballscreen -- just doubleteam the dribbler and force a turnover.  Sanders, Solomon, and certainly Thomas shouldn't be coming outside of 15 feet anytime within the offense.  Get on the block, post a guy up, develop some moves to get fouled/layup/short jumper and have the IQ (something the vast majority of this team lacks) that when the double arrives, find an open shooter.  Our offense has zero flow and way too much stress on individual playmaking, another something that we lack.  

What bothers me the most about watching this team this season is their amazing lack of basketball sense.  I had a feeling that this was going to be a long year so the results haven't really surprised me.  But what should have been signs of improvement after AC and the win at Elon has crashed to Earth with a total regression.  No one understands defensive responsibilities and there's certainly zero leadership from the players on the court -- not one player has the guts to grab someone else by the jersey and shout some sense into them.  That's the most disappointing part.  I can handle the losses provided that they come because the other team is just better.  Cornell and UNCW and really even Charleston (witness Drexel last night) aren't better than we are but the way we played in those games, Calvert Hall could come out and beat us.

Oh come on Chris, there’s been one or two other times.  

But seiously the defense is lost and the offense worked when you had a dominant player that could handle and drive like benimon and Moto to a lease extent.   I’d like more screen the screener action and Dennis on the baseline. He can hit the mid range jumper or throw him and alley oop.  Pick and roll skerry and co, ever heard of it?!

1 hour ago, RundaPower said:

Fundamentals are terrible.  Quite possibly the worst I have ever seen at the collegiate level. No understanding of how to play the game on offense or defense.  You can see that some of these kids don’t buy in to the scheme or the fact that they have to become more sound on both ends.  AAU ball has ruined the sport.  Never thought I would see a Skerry team so unhinged.  Very disappointing 

Funny. After probably the first game I saw with Skerry under the helm I was telling Matt in chat that this team lacks the fundamentals.  Ironically 7+ years later we're talking about the same thing....