• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

5 stages of grief...

Are denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Me personally, I’m at acceptance. I accept the fact we’re awful and may not win another game this season. I accept the fact we’re in season 8 of this regime and will finish this season not having won more than 1 game in any conference tournament. I accept the fact this coach cannot, or will not, recruit fundamentally solid players who can perform rudimentary basketball tasks like, oh I don’t know, shooting better than 40% from the field. I accept the fact we got run out of our own building tonight by Cornell (clever of them to have snuck Steph Curry in against us tonight). I accept the fact this coach, as well as our program, are going nowhere. 

What stage are you at?

I would say this. Stick with them. We knew at the beginning of the season that this was going to be a tough year. Sure, if everything went right and we were healthy, maybe close to .500. Well, everything has gone wrong. We're not even defending now at home. We have one consistent scorer and he's slumping. He's putting the ball on the floor and not even recognizing his teammates. He's becoming ZM without as much production. We're also down to nine players, possibly eight if Al Thomas is out for an extended period. 

Sorry for everybody that has to bear with this season. It is a bit reminiscent of year one. At least that team brought it defensively and the boards every night. They just didn't have the talent. Now, I'm starting to wonder if this team has any. There's not one player on this team other than Fobbs, and he'd be a No. 2 or No. 3 option on a good CAA team, that could start on another CAA squad. In fact, I don't think most of these guys would even be in the rotation other than all four bigs, who are role players. Not sure what Sanders is but I expected more. But he's a backup for a reason. He was a 20-minute player at Duquesne and not much more than that here.

The hope is that the younger players get better. Teams are catching up with Dottin, Take away his drive and right hand. He's not that explosive so that doesn't help. Solomon? Keep him off the boards. Force him to shoot from outside of 10 feet. I think he shows the most promise. Betrand can't really put the ball on the floor and do much with it. Even if it's garbage time, he's finally making some shots over the last two games. He can in my opinion, eventually become a 3&D guy. Maybe.

I know, there's not much hope out there for next season. Even with Gray, Charles Thompson, another point guard, another combo guard. The staff has got to find somebody who can play the 1 and develop the guys that are returning.

I also think its important to note that we ALL KNEW this was going to be a big rebuilding year. We need these guys to improve and build for next season. Lets looks forward to the CAA tourney (who knows) and then next season. 

Mat, the implications of this passage from your earlier post, “I know there’s not much hope out there for next season,” is sobering. We may not be a helluva lot better next year. 

31 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Mat, the implications of this passage from your earlier post, “I know there’s not much hope out there for next season,” is sobering. We may not be a helluva lot better next year. 

That's my observation from others on here who have no or little hope. I do have hope or I wouldn't be on here. I would just give up if I had none. Pat lost Zane Martin and Justin Gorham but he also recruited them. And John Davis as well. Timberlake, Betrand, Dottin, Solomon, Charles Thompson, Tunstall, Gray is something to build on next season but I know it's not enough. He can find talent in most positions aside from the one we've been discussing for seemingly decades. 

Appreciate all the insight. 

I’m Mr California sunshine of

course....   if indeed we don’t have enough talent which it ultimately looks that way after 17 games...  we know we have a recruiting class coming in along with the WCC transfer...  this underclasman Group has to at least be more consistent defensively... I get off nights with the offense however you can’t regress defensively.  

Skerry’s comments are very telling now...  hope I’m wrong but sounds to me like this group isn’t buying in!!??

I had said he gets this season and the next to fix this...   here’s hoping Timberlake gets back and gets his feet wet and the rest of these Freshman & Juniors get more experience and ultimately get better.

And in defense of Skerry with the two transfers...  this is truly happening everywhere and we unfortunately got the double whammie.

So many asshole kids out there who aren’t happy...  BYU’s Hartnett a perfect example...  junior not happy with playing time.  

New Arena...  no VCU or Old Dominion to worry about.. no NBA team in town...     

Maybe we need a name... eg/Musselman with Nevada & Dunlap with LMU

ex NBA coaches  

9 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I would say this. Stick with them. We knew at the beginning of the season that this was going to be a tough year. Sure, if everything went right and we were healthy, maybe close to .500. Well, everything has gone wrong. We're not even defending now at home. We have one consistent scorer and he's slumping. He's putting the ball on the floor and not even recognizing his teammates. He's becoming ZM without as much production. We're also down to nine players, possibly eight if Al Thomas is out for an extended period. 

Sorry for everybody that has to bear with this season. It is a bit reminiscent of year one. At least that team brought it defensively and the boards every night. They just didn't have the talent. Now, I'm starting to wonder if this team has any. There's not one player on this team other than Fobbs, and he'd be a No. 2 or No. 3 option on a good CAA team, that could start on another CAA squad. In fact, I don't think most of these guys would even be in the rotation other than all four bigs, who are role players. Not sure what Sanders is but I expected more. But he's a backup for a reason. He was a 20-minute player at Duquesne and not much more than that here.

The hope is that the younger players get better. Teams are catching up with Dottin, Take away his drive and right hand. He's not that explosive so that doesn't help. Solomon? Keep him off the boards. Force him to shoot from outside of 10 feet. I think he shows the most promise. Betrand can't really put the ball on the floor and do much with it. Even if it's garbage time, he's finally making some shots over the last two games. He can in my opinion, eventually become a 3&D guy. Maybe.

I know, there's not much hope out there for next season. Even with Gray, Charles Thompson, another point guard, another combo guard. The staff has got to find somebody who can play the 1 and develop the guys that are returning.

Hmm, wonder who said this before the season started...

I'm stunned that some people are going with the "wait till next season" mindset.  The Pat Skerry sample size is big enough at this point to know EXACTLY what we have in him as a basketball coach and what we can expect in terms of results.

This off season we WILL have players transferring out of the program.  We WILL lose some players to graduation.  There will never be an ideal level of roster consistency, it's just the nature of NCAA basketball in today's world.  Skerry is not a strong enough recruiter of talent nor is he a good enough X's & O's coach to overcome the constant change.

Until there are significant changes at the very top of the program we will continue to see the same results from Towson hoops.

What's ironic is that Skerry is probably good enough to go to a low-major program like a Marshall or FAU or Akron and get to them to the Big Dance, because they could be multiple bid leagues.  In a "winner-take-all" conference like CAA, he's just not talented enough to get the right guys AND coach them up to championship levels.

Don't let 18 & 20 win seasons fool you.....that gets you NOTHING in CAA.....maybe a bid to 3rd tier post-season tourneys. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sr16 said:

I also think its important to note that we ALL KNEW this was going to be a big rebuilding year. We need these guys to improve and build for next season. Lets looks forward to the CAA tourney (who knows) and then next season. 

We knew it would be a rebuild, but there isn't any improvement as the year has gone on, but regression.

11 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Teams are catching up with Dottin, Take away his drive and right hand. He's not that explosive so that doesn't help. 

Does anyone else see, that he always drives left (is right handed) and then tries to shoot a layup with his inside, right hand?!  WHY!  that is a guaranteed block