• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to Cornell, 86-74 in non-conf. finale

Skerry's opening comments

"Tough loss. We couldn't stop them, especially (Morgan). One thing we talked about in shootaround, this was a Super Bowl game for Cornell and a great opportunity for us to face a high-level guard. We're not going to beat a lot of teams when they shoot a high percentage against us. I'll have to watch the tape to know happened."

On first half

We got down but we shot 48% in the first half. We didn't have a lot of trouble scoring the ball. We have to get guys out in transition. If you don't take great shots, you aren't going to rebound. We've done a bad job of getting stops. We're rotating too much. There's been slippage. That can't happen. We couldn't stop Morgan. Normal defense, zone, press, and nothing really worked. We have to play better, esp. on the defensive side of the floor. We're down numbers. Everybody has to be ready to play. Some guys that were good didn't have great nights.

On scheduling a non-conf. game in the middle of conference play

"That's on me. We scheduled this awhile ago. But that's an excuse. We had pretty good practices on Monday and Tuesday. A lot of shots and skill work. We're not great when it doesn't go well in the middle of the game. Who brings us together? We have old guys but neither are loud and vocal and our young guys want to lead but don't understand how to play yet.  We're the definition of a work in progress, but the progress is a lot slower than I'd like it to be.

On goals for the season

We have to treat the James Madison game like it's the Super Bowl and get better. When we've had good teams, we didn't talk about how many we were going to win. We have nine guys and Al got hurt. I'm not a doctor so I don't know. You have to practice to get better. If we can be good defensively and on the backboards, we'll have a shot most nights. What I'm disappointed in is why three of the last four halves, we haven't rebounded and defended the way we needed to. We got shredded by Cornell/

On Fobbs' struggling

You want him to take shots because we're a bit offensively challenged. He's a good player and really works. For him to become great, his decision-making has to get better. We've been trying to show him on film that if you can get other guys shots early in games, the game might open up for you. He's an explosive scorer, but he took some crowded drives tonight. He has to get it to the next guy but the next guy has to knock down a couple of shots. Worry about making the right play, not about the results. To become a good team or to become a decent team,we have to try and get that point across. 

13 hours ago, mat1992 said:

"Tough loss. We couldn't stop them, especially (Morgan). One thing we talked about in shootaround, this was a Super Bowl game for Cornell and a great opportunity for us to face a high-level guard. We're not going to beat a lot of teams when they shoot a high percentage against us. I'll have to watch the tape to know happened."

Why would a road game at Towson be considered a Super Bowl game for Cornell?  What is this man thinking with a comment like that?

Now I’m going to go off on a rant. Before last night, Cornell had played UConn, Syracuse, SMU & Wake Forest. How in the world would playing us be their Super bowl? 

Btw, Cornell also played Delaware, & lost by 17. That wouldn’t appear to bode well for us when we play Delaware 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

Why would a road game at Towson be considered a Super Bowl game for Cornell?  What is this man thinking with a comment like that?

He must have an inflated perception of himself and his program.  We all know otherwise.  

Changes are needed up and down the athletic department, starting with the person on the top.

29 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Now I’m going to go off on a rant. Before last night, Cornell had played UConn, Syracuse, SMU & Wake Forest. How in the world would playing us be their Super bowl? 

Btw, Cornell also played Delaware, & lost by 17. That wouldn’t appear to bode well for us when we play Delaware 

A bit of an exaggeration but I think he said that because it was their last non-conference game before a long break and Ivy League play begins.

22 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

A bit of an exaggeration but I think he said that because it was their last non-conference game before a long break and Ivy League play begins.

Come on Mat, you can't defend him or assume what he meant by that comment.  

When I last checked a "Super Bowl" is not played in the middle of the season.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

Come on Mat, you can't defend him or assume what he meant by that comment.  

When I last checked a "Super Bowl" is not played in the middle of the season.  

He also said James Madison would be our Super Bowl.