• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Datres

TOWSON 64, CHICKENS 63

Guthrie is the other JUCO who worked for us. Another 6’4 or 6’5 guy like Fobbs, though a different type player than Fobbs. What do you see Gray’s ceiling being? Our transfers have progressively been less successful in my opinion (Benimon to Moto to Morman)

15 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Guthrie is the other JUCO who worked for us. Another 6’4 or 6’5 guy like Fobbs, though a different type player than Fobbs. What do you see Gray’s ceiling being? Our transfers have progressively been less successful in my opinion (Benimon to Moto to Morman)

Guthrie would have loved to have been 6-5. Probably closer to 6-2 but played 150mph every time he got in. You forgot Sanders. Right now, he's meh. His decent offensive ability doesn't make up for his multiple mistakes on the defensive end. Morman was great defensively his first season and then as Pat would say, went rogue.

I don't know about Gray. I'd like to see more of him. I thought he was a little tentative when I saw him early in practice. But his freshman numbers at San Diego show the kind of potential he has. I do think he'll take some pressure off of Fobbs.

https://collegecourtreport.com/2018/06/19/towson-lands-san-diego-transfer-juwan-gray/

Freshman year

Appeared in all 31 games with 21 starts
Averaged 7.2 points per game and ranked second on the team in rebounding at 5.6 boards per game
Converted 43.3% from the field (78-180), 40.9% from three point range (27-66) and 62.1% from the free throw line (41-66)
Led the team with 25 steals
Scored in double digits ten times with a season-best 16 points twice (Bethune-Cookman and Bethesda)
Notched two double-doubles against Bethune Cookman (16 points, 17 rebounds) and in a road win at Pepperdine (11 points, 14 rebounds)
He totaled 5 steals against Gonzaga (2-23-17)

But don't expect Benimon or even Moto. I think you are getting a 6-8, long and athletic finesse four, who can play some 3 in big lineups. I don't expect huge numbers but I do want to see more pressing with him, Tunstall and Betrand in the lineup.That's a lot of length and athletic ability. He shot 41% from 3pt. one year. I'd take 36% and that would help immensely.

Guthrie was fearless (to the point of recklessness sometimes) driving to the basket. He also had a decent outside shot.

I’m not a big Sanders fan. I hope his senior year is better than what his junior year has been. 

Gray is a bit intriguing. He looks the part (long and athletic looking).  40% from 3 would make him one of, if not our best 3 point shooters. 

I realize there are still 11 games left in the regular season, but I find my focus being on next year at this point 

On 1/19/2019 at 9:46 PM, TSU88 said:

Yeah, I’m curious about Timberlake too. He played 9 games; we’re only going to play 32 games, realistically. If the rule is 20%, he could only RS if he played 6 or fewer games 

PS tells Spiro on the most recent "Tiger Basketball Report" that Timberlake is done for the season and will be able to redshirt.

Good news that he gets a do-over on his freshman season. As it stands, 5 new players next season (Timberlake, Gray, Thompson + the 2 still open scholarships). As mentioned previously, this number could increase if 1 or more non-seniors on the current squad don’t return 

12 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

PS tells Spiro on the most recent "Tiger Basketball Report" that Timberlake is done for the season and will be able to redshirt.

I edited that for you. You had PK not PS. I was a little worried he was back. 

23 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Speaking of Thompson, while I was waiting for the football games to start today, I went online and found some stats on how his Sr year in HS is going. In 15 games, he’s averaging 12ppg & 5.8 boards (leading his 13-2 team in both categories).

What really caught my eye is he’s shooting  a remarkable 73% from the field (82-113), but only 49% from the foul line (19-39). Does this mean he’s dunking over a lot of 6’4 postmen on opposing teams? Hopefully it means he’s got a strong interior game & can finish around the basket. 

Here is something I posted earlier on Thompson from ESPN.com after his junior season and in August.

Strengths:
Right now, Charles' strength is centered on his size and length. Charles also stays near the basket where he is best suited right now - and hopefully will be in the future. Charles is willing to battle inside and, unlike some less bellicose classmates his size, does not seem inclined to drift to the perimeter. In other words, Charles is a 6'8 player who wants to play in the post. Perfect.

Weaknesses:
Charles is only effective offensively up to 6-feet from the basket as a sophomore. Currently, Charles is too foul-prone, needing to develop his feet to more properly position himself against basket intruders by land or by sky. Skill development across the board is a necessity here, as is the aforementioned footwork needed to augment his size and bulk (220 and counting).

Bottom Line:
Charles, like most big men in the current sophomore class (Class of 2019) is like an unfinished portrait - not done yet. Maturation of mind and body we hope will prevent foul trouble and inconsistency. Spending a lot of time with the basketball developing a move and a counter would stamp Charles a prospect with great size - already in place - and budding skills; that is always a combination desired at the next level.

Says he’s 6’8 and 220 (might weigh more now). Can’t teach that kind of size. Probably will be a work in progress his freshman year.