• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Final Scrimmage report

http://towsontigers.com/news/2017/8/26/football-towson-breaks-camp-with-final-scrimmage.aspx

Comments from RA

On scrimmage
We're far along but not close enough. Much sharper. You have to manage the guys that are going to play. We're good
but not there yet.

On Morgan
When he's at the point, where he doesn't think about what he's doing, that's pretty sexy. I just don't like when he
doesn't feel like he's thinking about what he's doing, that's the antithesis of sexy.

On O-line
That should be solid by Tuesday.

Defensively
It's nice to have him back with a busted foot, that fortifies teh line.

On cornerback competition
It's really going to be who practices better and who is dialed into the gameplan more.

On Coby Tippett
He's  a guy who is in consideration. By Sunday night, I'll have a 95% certainty of what first-year kids play in the first
game.

On LBs
They look good, fast and physical. (Dondre) is growing up. Physically, he's always been a good player .You have to learn how to armor up your body. He still goes hard and physical when his shoulder gets dinged up.

On Tibo
He's a true freshman that speaks six languages. You are going to be able to pick up the system easier. There are certain times when you follow your gut instinct and you win, sometimes you lose. This time, we've won.

• Like 1

Final scrimmage was pretty solid in front of some of the season ticket holders. A couple of notes.

1)D'Mitri Francis played left tackle and Antonio Harris moved to left guard. However, Zane Ventemiglia was out with a minor injury, and Aaron Gryzmkowski moved to right guard. That could be a temporary thing as Coach Ambrose said Tuesday everything should go back, assuming that Harris goes back to left tackle The good news is that there are many different options on this line. Personally, I like the size of Francis (325) and Harris (315) on the left side. We should be able to run on anybody. Grzymkowski (290) is more of an unknown quantity as a r-freshman. The cohesion of the line is the biggest question. Matt Kauffman and Antonio Harris are the only returning starters. But at least Ventemiglia and starting center Carnesale played in the spring.

2)Mahalak was sharp. He made some great corner throws over the shoulder to Greenwood and Nick Gray. Greenwood, Leatherbury, Richardson and Kilgore are the top four receivers. Still waiting to see Rutgers transfer John Tsimis get on the field. He apparently returned to practice this week but was held out again. Good to see most of the injured players back on the field like Reece Burnett. Nice to see his big body in there and even if it's just short-yardage and goal line, he's tough to move at 6-2, 360. Also good to see Dorsey back out there at WR. I think he's close to playing as a true freshman. That speed is intriguing. Same with Christian Greaves, who finally got on the field but has missed so much time that he was with the three's. Guessing he'll redshirt.

3)Safeties are a concern. Monty Fenner is fine but opposite him is a concern. Boals and Sheppard are both nicked up. Freshman Cody Tippett was in there with the one's but he's not a given to play due to a clearinghouse issue.

4)Tibo D. continues to play well. He made a nice spin move on what would have been a sack (can't hit QB). Very impressive for a true freshman. He should be in the tackle rotation with Cummings, Clifton Jones, ZHUP, Cook and big Reece, though Nieqquo was out for a change with an injury.

5)Also good to see Joe Green finally make a few big runs on short passes. Having seen much of the tight ends make many plays in the passing game. All are big (6-3, 250+). Zeus Barrio is 6-5, 265 and pretty athletic. He might be the second tight end after Green. Not sure where Metise Moore, Zach Herron and Knudson fit. At fullback, love Nick Vermillion. Jordan Waite should get the start but Vermillion is going to be a fan favorite. If you like short, squatty guys who are athletic (who doesn't hint), he's perfect. I could see him playing as a freshman.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RundaPower said:

So, are you saying Harris moves back to LT and Francis is the LG ?  Or are you saying that Gryz moves back to LG and Francis is with the 2's?

RA and somebody else told me or hinted to me that it was temporary due to the Zane minor injury and should go back to Antonio at LT on Tuesday, but you never know.

1 hour ago, TigerFan54 said:

How did Toomey look punting?

He's a little better than the spring. I hope he's average enough for Rob not to regret not adding a transfer punter. I'm really not sure about that. He's certainly capable of averaging around 38yds/punt but will need to limit the bad ones.