• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Lax scrimmage update

I haven't seen a lax scrimmage in a few years so I thought I would head out to seem against Bucknell, before the basketball game. Tough to tell with jersey numbers but it appeared that numerous key offensive guys were out and Zach Goodrich was out as well. But before I get to the offense, the defense really struggled and other than it being cold and the first scrimmage, there is really no excuse for the Bison getting up 6-2 and scoring eight goals at the half against most first-string guys. Sure, new goaltender with sophomore Jake Stout (6-0, 210) in for the injured Shane Brennan. Didn't think he played poorly as most of the shots were from 8 yards and in and uncovered. We had experienced guys like Jimmie Wilkerson out there at D-Mid along with Jake McClean and transfer Greg Ey, who sat out last season. Junior Grey Bodden and senior Chad Patterson were out there in the first half with sophomore Koby Smith, who twisted his ankle but got back out there (and scored). Also saw some of junior Sanders Healy (6-3, 185) but not sure where huge freshman Grant Zungaila (6-6, 245) was. I assume he was injured. Heard a few players did suffer concussions so that might have been the issue for so many guys out. With a new DC and no Goodrich, that might explain some of the lack of communication and defensive issues.

I really had to pull out the roster and the binoculars to check on the offense. No Sovero, or Maloof or Monahan on offense. All were expected to comprise the first-team midfield. We are in trouble if they are not back by Hopkins. You just can't miss that experience.  Also did not have Luke Fromert (5-8, 170), a redshirt sophomore, who at least had some experience and was expected to possibly start on attack. So four key guys were out for some reason and we also lost Phil Wies, who started on attack as the feeder in most of his freshman season (I believe he's transferering). We had just two goals in the first quarter (down 6-2). A ton of turnovers and just rough play but in the second quarter, scored five goals. Looked much better. On attack, sophomore Tim Montgomery (5-11, 185) was playing the feeder role from behind the net. He wasn't bad and I guess they could get a redshirt for his first season. He reminds me a little of Tim Stratton, a big time scorer in H.S. in New Jersey with 118 goals and 156 assists. Not sure if he is playing the right position though to me, only one player is a definite and that's 6-5 senior Brendan Sunday. He looks like our best finisher inside. We could really use Monahan and his ability to pass and create. Hopefully his shot improves.

So Sunday and Montgomery played attack and the third spot was rotated between Brody McClean (6-3, 210), a junior who began his career at Stony Brook. He played mainly on man-up situations last year. He looked good as did Casey Wasserman (6-0, 180), the sophomore from Texas, who can play midfield as well. Nick DelBene (6-2, 205) is a senior, who could see some time. Looks like he's added some bulk.

Not really sure, if all three midfield starters are back, who will play the 2nd unit at midfield but at least there options. One guy to keep an eye on is freshman Sean Mooney (6-1, 200), who is from Kent Island, where Goodrich is from. He can play attack but I wonder if they move him to midfield. Junior Jake McClean (6-0, 185), soph. Andrew Beacham (5-10, 170), Greg Ey (5-10, 170) are all speedy athletes who can play both ends. Ryan Swain (6-0, 180)is a freshman from (of course), Calvert Hall, has some potential. John Finfrock (6-0, 185) is another intriguing guy that showed a little today. I think we just need to find a rotation but hopefully we at least have a second midfield because last season we were playing 5 guys at midfield at the end.

5 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Brennan's injury is serious. He was on a scooter with his right foot on the scooter. I assume he'll be out for the year.

wow this is not giving me positivity 

Thanks for the update Matt. With the shot clock we are going to have higher scores this year. We had long possessions the last few years. Goodrich was hurt all last year. With Brennan out controlling the faceoff will be critical, although Stout had a good career at Loyola High School.  Scoring 5 goals in the second qtr is encouraging. Any updates on any of the other injuries will be helpful.

3 minutes ago, TUvet said:

Thanks for the update Matt. With the shot clock we are going to have higher scores this year. We had long possessions the last few years. Goodrich was hurt all last year. With Brennan out controlling the faceoff will be critical, although Stout had a good career at Loyola High School.  Scoring 5 goals in the second qtr is encouraging. Any updates on any of the other injuries will be helpful.

Yeah, I'll try but they are going to keep it very tight about all the injuries. The only thing I heard was concussions for several of them. The key for those guys is to be ready for opening day. They'll need to really tighten up the defense in the next scrimmage. Have to get Goodrich back and that will help both sides of the ball and our struggles in clearing the ball.

Just heard Nadelen on a talk show and he mentioned that he had something like 21 players out in practice due to various injuries. That's pretty much unheard of this early. Hopefully most return against Virginia. He expects Goodrich back so that's a starter. Not sure about the rest by the opener on Feb. 9.

23 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Just heard Nadelen on a talk show and he mentioned that he had something like 21 players out in practice due to various injuries. That's pretty much unheard of this early. Hopefully most return against Virginia. He expects Goodrich back so that's a starter. Not sure about the rest by the opener on Feb. 9.

Jeeeeezus 21 players? Hows that strength and conditioning going