• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to Charleston, 54-53

I don't think you can all of a sudden take away Fobb's accomplishments because of one bad game. He won the UNCW game at the line with 5 seconds left. Made two free throws in front of a hostile crowd down 1. He took over the UMBC game and basically won it by himself on the road. Today he misses two huge free throws and makes two defensive mistakes in front of a bigger crowd. Sure, better team, maybe more pressure. I can't come to conclusion that's he's not this or that due to what happened today. Howard to me lacks the focus and so-called mental toughness but he has to be on the floor because he can make shots and we don't have anybody else other than Fobbs that can do so. Personally, I would rather see Betrand on the floor than McNeill in those situations. If you are not going to put Jordan on Riller, what's the point? Then play offense-defense. 

At some point, Sanders' time needs to decrease to 15 minutes and he needs to come off the bench. He's not the future. Let's see what Solomon can do.

• Like 1

After some really awful games, Solomon U played well today. Betrand is showing some glimpses & Dottin can be a serviceable backup PG. And Timberlake gets his freshman year do-over. If PS can nail these last couple of open ships and if Gray is not a stiff (like a certain #20) we could have a decent team next year, with Fobbs, Tunstall, Howard & the freshman big (Thompson)  in the mix.

But you’re right, hopefully Sanders sees limited minutes next season

Edited by TSU88

Let's compare:

Sanders has started 16 games out of 24. Averages 21.3 minutes per game. Shoots 49.6% from the field, 4-11 3pt, 66% from the line. Avg. 7.8ppg, 5.0rpg. Has 16 blocks in 24 games.

However, in conference play, he's shooting just 35.6% from the field. Avg. 6.4ppg and 5.0rpg. 

Solomon U. is averaging 15.5 mpg on 60% shooting (50% in CAA). Shooting 53% from the line and grabbing 3.8 rebounds (4.2rpg in CAA) with 4.8ppg (5.1ppg in CAA play). Sure, he needs to rebound better, improve on free throws and play better D but his numbers would be similar to Sanders if he played 20+mpg. He would rebound a bit better and he'd gain confidence. He is our best low-post scorer. He has the best low-post moves with his back to the basket. Imagine him with 10 more pounds. Not saying he's going to be Cacok or Brantley but could be really good as a CAA 4-man. I wonder if he puts on weight, whether he has the size to play the 5 with Tunstall at the 4, Gray at the 3, Fobbs at the 2, and who knows at the 1. Probably not an ideal lineup but that would be your best five guys assuming SU gets gets better and stronger.

Agreed. He was a fairly coveted recruit. Presumably, he’ll only get better going forward. The conventional wisdom is that players make the biggest leap between their freshman and sophomore seasons (ZM is a great example of that). So, that’s why I’m cautiously optimistic about Solomon, Betrand & Timberlake next season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Agreed. He was a fairly coveted recruit. Presumably, he’ll only get better going forward. The conventional wisdom is that players make the biggest leap between their freshman and sophomore seasons (ZM is a great example of that). So, that’s why I’m cautiously optimistic about Solomon, Betrand & Timberlake next season. 

Betrand shows flashes of getting better. He makes a few mistakes of concentration on D and PS takes him out right away. That's fine but he has a lot more patience with the old guys like Howard. There's something about Dottin he doesn't like and I don't if it's his defense, his stubborness. His decision-making (today two bad turnovers). Not really quick or fast. 

I wonder if Timberlake can develop some point guard skills. He's fast and athletic. Father was a great point guard at Boston U. There are some options but too many question marks. Fobbs is the only definitive starter we have coming back. Maybe Tunstall.

On more than one occasion, I’ve seen what appeared to be some verbal back and forth between Dottin & PS. If Dottin is going to be around, he must improve his foul shooting and his outside shot. He should be made to shoot a hundred of each type of shot every day this summer.

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

I don't think you can all of a sudden take away Fobb's accomplishments because of one bad game. He won the UNCW game at the line with 5 seconds left. Made two free throws in front of a hostile crowd down 1. He took over the UMBC game and basically won it by himself on the road. Today he misses two huge free throws and makes two defensive mistakes in front of a bigger crowd. Sure, better team, maybe more pressure. I can't come to conclusion that's he's not this or that due to what happened today. Howard to me lacks the focus and so-called mental toughness but he has to be on the floor because he can make shots and we don't have anybody else other than Fobbs that can do so. Personally, I would rather see Betrand on the floor than McNeill in those situations. If you are not going to put Jordan on Riller, what's the point? Then play offense-defense. 

At some point, Sanders' time needs to decrease to 15 minutes and he needs to come off the bench. He's not the future. Let's see what Solomon can do.

I’m not. He’s a good player but he isn’t a Riller or pucica or a jwf type that is going to beat you more times than not. 

He really needs to work on his right hand. He is the most one handed player (davis) that I’ve seen at Towson. 

I agree more time for Solomon and betrand over 2 20 44. As I’ve stated numerous times, we have seen enough of them to know what they are and that’s average to below average mid/low major players 

29 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I’m not. He’s a good player but he isn’t a Riller or pucica or a jwf type that is going to beat you more times than not. 

He really needs to work on his right hand. He is the most one handed player (davis) that I’ve seen at Towson. 

I agree more time for Solomon and betrand over 2 20 44. As I’ve stated numerous times, we have seen enough of them to know what they are and that’s average to below average mid/low major players 

I don't if he's the most one-handed player. JD was definitely all lefty and you couldn't stop him. But yes, we agree on that being his biggest weakness. He's too left-handed and teams make him drive right. Well, good teams make him drive right. They made one mistake on him, he made a nice little cross-over move and jammed it home. But when everybody in the world knew he was going to take the last shot, he tried to drive the lane with three guys all over him. 

Thomas really doesn't play much due to his injuries. I don't think he played more than a few minutes in the second half and played just nine minutes. However, his post D is still needed when they take on a legit big like a Cacok or Knight. I have nothing but respect for him try to play through this hip injury when he could just shut it down. As for McNeill, it's basically a matter of trust. No matter what he does on the offensive end, he still trusts a fifth-year senior over an inconsistent freshman. I think Betrand is getting closer to earning that trust and I'd rather see him take a shot than No. 2 late in games.

43 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

And the one thing those players have is a partner. Riller has Brantley, JWF has Pemberton, and Pusica has Jordan Roland (15.3ppg). Who does Fobbs have? Fobbs should probably be the number two guy on a good team but he's the number one by default. That's why I cut the kid slack, even after a bad day and the fact he doesn't have a right hand.

Geez, channel 11 just showed highlights of today’s game. How did #20 miss that put back on Fobbs’ miss? In all fairness, it shouldn’t have even come to that if Fobbs and/or Howard hit their foul shots