• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Oline issues continue

How many returning starters from last years O-Line do we now have left, & are there any returning backups who would appear capable of starting? 

No matter how good your skilled players are, if you can’t win in the trenches it doesn’t matter a great deal.

I will assume we’ll be bringing in multiple FBS transfers. 

Edited by TSU88

We have two returning starters but Cheripko is more than capable at right guard. He had two starts last year. Carnesale was the starter two years ago but I heard he wasn’t returning. Maybe he comes back now but they now need at least four OL transfers- FBS and juco. Two starters and two for depth.

They also have Brendan Casels, Jackson Truitt as experienced backups. Alex Desire as a redshirt freshman tackle. Bryce Perkins who lost weight to play FB last year and they could move DT John  Mullins to offense. They’ll sign 3-4 big OL but you don’t want to start true freshmen linemen or even have them as depth.

That’s a lot of beef to import. And it has to be not just quantity, but quality as well. 

Guess we’ll find out some answers is it tomorrow or Thursday?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

That’s a lot of beef to import. And it has to be not just quantity, but quality as well. 

Guess we’ll find out some answers is it tomorrow or Thursday?

Maybe some, I’m guessing most of the transfers will be announced later though I might be the one announcing them. There was no release for those guys signed over the summer last season aside from Flacco. This time, I expect them to add the transfers earlier but I don’t expect to see many of them on the spring roster. Some of them might be still in their previous school so there’s that.

I can't go into details on this one but it came as a surprise. Anybody that can graduate in three years has bigger goals than playing just football. That's impressive as hell. He was a solid player who was getting better and unless Carnesale comes back or they move one of the backups like Cassels to center, you are going to start a brand new center. That player is going to need a lot of time to work with Flacco during the summer and what little time he'll have to work in the spring, though my assumption is that this guy will come later.

But right now, this is a tough loss. You had three starters returning and Cheripko, who has great potential. Now you just have two and have to find a RT and a C. I wonder if they move Cheripko to center and Cassels to RG but it really does leave them in a bind. Or maybe Bryce Perkins, who would need 20+ more pounds but maybe he was considered a potential center when he arrived. I assumed he was moved to fullback for need but also because Nico was going to be the starting center for three years. He might be the guy to keep an eye on. He's a redshirt sophomore and I would think he'd be a band-aid until they can an FBS guy and then have them compete in the summer.

This is discouraging. TF has great scrambling ability, but without a solid and cohesive line, he'll be doing that a lot more than he did, which increases the chance of injury and decreases his effectiveness.

This may require a change in strategy on offense if there is truly no cohesion on the line and the transfers don't materialize. Can  spread the D out with 4 or 5 wide and throw alot of quick passes and designed QB runs or sell out completely and use big packages (13, 22, etc) that will limit routes but offers some RB and QB run options and RB/TE screens. Both FB's look like solid blockers - it would require a bigger commitment from TE's to block. Some tough looking OL signees in the new class but Mat is correct - you don't want to see true freshman on the OL.