• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB comes back to beat JMU, 66-59 (story up)

https://towsontigers.com/boxscore.aspx?id=11640

https://towsontigers.com/news/2019/2/9/mens-basketball-towson-subdues-jmu-with-its-defense.aspx

First of all, what a great day. You couldn't ask for anything better for a Hopkins ass-beating and then basketball playing a great second half in beating James Madison, 66-59. I kind of felt good about being down by four at the half because we were lousy and the Dukes had gone ice cold from three-point range.

The biggest worry of the second half came when Dennis Tunstall picked up his third and fourth foul. PS took blame for that in the press conference for not taking him out after the third. It wasn't one of Tunstall's better games but after missing about 10 minutes of the season half, Skerry put him back in the game with 7:25 left and TU up 51-48. Towson never looked back after he returned and he didn't pick up his fifth foul. Towson took a 10-point lead and then held on. Just one turnover in the second half and that was by Fobbs, when the Tigers had a 10-point lead with 2:15 left.

But what you else can you say bout Fobbs. I'm sure he feels bad about missing that key FT last week at Charleston but going 11 of 15 from the field (3-6 FT) and 4-of-7 from beyond the arc is amazing. Now he's starting to post people up. What a great pickup by the staff. Also what a solid game by Nakye Sanders. We can beat him up for his fouls and turnovers, but what did he do today. Zero turnovers, One foul. Nine points and eight rebounds. Most impressive was his three assists. Making the extra pass from the post is huge because you draw defends to you and somebody is open.

Towson shot 51.1 percent from the field. Got outrebounded by 8 and still won the game. I think part of that was due to Tunstall being out for 10 minutes, Sanders playing through cramps and Al Thomas just trying to gut it out playing hurt. Solomon also seems overpowered at times. Another 10 pounds will help next season.

What can you say about Fobbs? He was a 1-man gang, scoring close to half our points today.

#20 deserves credit where credit is due. Almost a double double, 3 assists & only 1 foul. 

It looked like their #3 was going to go for 40 tonight, after having 11 points in the 1st few minutes. But McNeil must have played good D thereafter, because #3 only scored 3 more points the rest of the game. Plus, McNeil hit a couple of nice 3’s.

Our PG play is still an issue. I don’t think Dottin had an assist, an he has no semblance of an outside shot. Howard at one point threw up a crazy 3-pointer & promptly got taken out of the game. Meanwhile, Solomon U had another poor game. His jump shot looks good form wise, but it doesn’t seem to go in very much. He also misses gimmes around the basket. Hopefully he’ll improve between now & next season 

Skerry
Good win for us. Any win in this league is a good win. I'm proud of our guys. They've been working hard. I still think our best basketball is ahead of us. Our defense was excellent for us after the start of the game. We didn't rebound that well, we'll take care of that Monday in practice. (Sanders) has been working hard. Brian, any time you get 29 on 15 shots. That's impressive. They had no answers for him. I coach these guys. We talked two weeks ago, is our best basketball behind us or in front of us? I think it's still in front of us.

Sanders on second half
We came out with more energy and looked for each other. I was cramping a lot but you have to fight through it.

Skerry On Tunstall picking up 4th foul early in the second half
That was my fault, we trusted him. That's why I kept him out there. That was my fault. Solomon held the tide. We are pretty deep. We're going to play nine guys pretty liberally. Al (Thomas) is not playing as much. He's in a lot of pain. We're just trying to get as much as we can out of him. 

Skerry on rebounding disparity with Tunstall in foul trouble
No. That's we do. We'll take care of it on Monday.

On Mosley
He's good. We called a timeout early. It's mental toughness. Guys own their mistakes. When you do that, you start to become a pretty good basketball team.

On defensive changes in the second half?
No. We're going to guard. We did a better job of not fouling. We've been good lately on defense. We say you're going to set a 100 ballscreens and we're going to defend it 100 ways and let's see who's better. I never want to change it. 

On first half
I didn't scream too much at the half. I just thought we were better than that. The work ethic has been an A- and attitude a B-. We'll take a day off and get better and have another good week.

I thought the good thing our guys did today was pass it. We took care of a serious mismatch in the post with Brian. They were switching ball screens so we were able to take some of their bigs. They were trapping and a lot of times we hit our bigs and they made great passes to guys. If we can do that, we can be a pretty good club.

Fobbs on posting up in 2nd half
Definitely was (first time) this year. My coach (Parfait) told me to look for it more. They are leaving that open (in the post). I just looked for it more and Jordan fed me. 

Skerry
He's the best rebounding three-man in the league. He's built like a truck. 

Skerry on offense
I liked the ball movement and we took care of it. We had some sloppy ones early. We added a couple of things this week and guys executed. Execution is always the answer.

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

What can you say about Fobbs? He was a 1-man gang, scoring close to half our points today.

#20 deserves credit where credit is due. Almost a double double, 3 assists & only 1 foul. 

It looked like their #3 was going to go for 40 tonight, after having 11 points in the 1st few minutes. But McNeil must have played good D thereafter, because #3 only scored 3 more points the rest of the game. Plus, McNeil hit a couple of nice 3’s.

Our PG play is still an issue. I don’t think Dottin had an assist, an he has no semblance of an outside shot. Howard at one point threw up a crazy 3-pointer & promptly got taken out of the game. Meanwhile, Solomon U had another poor game. His jump shot looks good form wise, but it doesn’t seem to go in very much. He also misses gimmes around the basket. Hopefully he’ll improve between now & next season 

Solomon will be fine once he gets stronger. When he faces bigger and longer guys, he trends to struggle. He's been pretty good around the rim until lately. He may have hit a wall. I think once he gets stronger and more confident, he'll be a pretty good four. This is a physical league. We may not have great big men other than Knight, Brantley and Cacok, but you can't play tentative. You notice the difference between him and Tunstall. Dennis is longer but he also knows where he needs to be and uses his length wise even if he's only about 6-8, 225. That comes with experience. Solomon doesn't have that length but he needs to get after it. Good thing with Sanders and Dennis back along with Gray, he doesn't have to start. But he does need to improve everything from defense to rebounding to FT shooting to back to the basket and getting stronger.

Only bad thing about winning is a whopping total of 2 people have posted in this thread. If we had lost, the server would probably crash with all the people posting 🙄

27 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Only bad thing about winning is a whopping total of 2 people have posted in this thread. If we had lost, the server would probably crash with all the people posting 🙄

Appreciate you being the one to keep posting here. Nobody else seems to care and sure, if we lost, certain people would jump on here and talk about playing D3 teams. Why can't we force turnovers. Why can't win win at home? Etc. 

What was the attendance today? Seemed like a decent non-student crowd. Big game Thursday vs Delaware. Would be nice to get a big crowd

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

What was the attendance today? Seemed like a decent non-student crowd. Big game Thursday vs Delaware. Would be nice to get a big crowd

I thought the student attendance was very poor. Overall was 1,500 but it fell like more. If we could start winning at home, the fans will start showing up. That's another reason why the win was so important. If you come to just one game, and it was Hofstra or Cornell or UNCW or Charleston, I get why some people didn't return.

Did feel like more than 1,500. I thought the giveaway (x-box I think) would have brought in more students. Maybe Thursday night. I’m not buying the theory that used to be espoused on here that the increase in students living on campus would translate to more students coming to games

At least we're getting some men's lax response but hell, what a day. Spent about 7 hours at Towson and it was worth it. But I'd love more participation on the boards. I get it if people can't do the chats, because we're never on TV and others are at the game, though the Delaware game will be on Thursday on MASN. But it becomes tough when hoops is down and people are just not into the team. Not very exciting team, sure. But slowly and steadily improving. 

Trying my best to get people to participate and on a day like this, with these kind of results, it's frustrating.