• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB comes back to beat JMU, 66-59 (story up)

Relatively speaking, Thursday is a big game. While it’s not for 1st place or anything of the sort, a win gives us an outside chance at finishing.500 for the season in the conference. If we win Thursday, we’d have to hold serve in our remaining home games (W&M, Drexel & Elon). If we did that, we’d finish 9-9, as I’m assuming we will lose both of our remaining road games (Hofstra & NE). 

5 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Relatively speaking, Thursday is a big game. While it’s not for 1st place or anything of the sort, a win gives us an outside chance at finishing.500 for the season in the conference. If we win Thursday, we’d have to hold serve in our remaining home games (W&M, Drexel & Elon). If we did that, we’d finish 9-9, as I’m assuming we will lose both of our remaining road games (Hofstra & NE). 

I know the league is down but going .500 in the conference would be a great feat for a team that was picked ninth and looked like a sure 9-10 team at best early on. Not sure that's going to happen because W&M is playing very well, and so is Drexel and Elon. At least playing more competitively. We're going to have to play better than we did today and it starts with point guard play and better board work. 

If it hinges on PG play, we’re in trouble 😆

Realistically I don’t think we go 4-0 at home. Wouldn’t  be far fetched to say we could go 0-4, so I’ll say 2-2. If that’s the case, we likely finish 7-11 (compared to 8-10 last year). Not sure if 7-11 is good enough to avoid play-in game.

10 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

If it hinges on PG play, we’re in trouble 😆

Realistically I don’t think we go 4-0 at home. Wouldn’t  be far fetched to say we could go 0-4, so I’ll say 2-2. If that’s the case, we likely finish 7-11 (compared to 8-10 last year). Not sure if 7-11 is good enough to avoid play-in game.

It doesn't hinge on PG play. I just think they need to be adequate or serviceable and not hurt you. In the first half, they were terrible today. But I believe they combined for two turnovers, which isn't bad. Howard had 3 assists and Dottin had zippy. So limit the turnovers, get a few more assists and do a decent job defensively, which they have done.

I think 2-2 is realistic but disappointing. But realistically, Delaware is a better team. They beat UNCW by just four today at home. Not sure what is going on with them. I pretty much think nearly every team we play is more talented but that's my negative nature.

Next season Dottin should be backup PG & Howard should be backup 2 guard (though minutes could be at a premium, if Timberlake plays well & we bring in a guard in the upcoming recruiting class).

You know what they say about the best laid plans...I had a 2:30 basketball game scheduled and I figured that I'd be back home by halfway thru the first half of the hoops game.  Instead, the tournament I was at had a scheduling snafu and my 2:30 game became a 4:00 game so I didn't get home until the game was already academic.  It's nice to see the way they keep improving from one game to the next.  With the exception of the Hofstra game, they really haven't been blown out of a conference game this season.  They may not look pretty at times but they keep putting forth the effort.  Fobbs was certainly giant today with that output and if he wants to be the guy, then by all means, let's allow him to be the guy.  Now let's add to the Chickens misery on Thursday night.  I'll hopefully be able to see one of these next 2 games but with being on Tiger Watch in LA, I'll probably miss both.

Now 6th in the CAA.  4 of the last 6 at home. 

Some team is gonna be drawing us in the tournament and saying damn!

All the players are buying in. Couldn’t say that last season.  Credit to the coaching staff.  

18 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Appreciate you being the one to keep posting here. Nobody else seems to care and sure, if we lost, certain people would jump on here and talk about playing D3 teams. Why can't we force turnovers. Why can't win win at home? Etc. 

It was a good win. Great halftime adjustments. Credit where it’s due. 

Turnovers helped in the second half. Jmu has at most 1 live ball turnover first half. We need to be able to run a bit and get cheap buckets. 

Fobbs, like mike and Zane last year, should pretty much just keep shooting. 

Jmu is such a long team. Their top 3 are very good. How they are that bad is beyond me. Might be 3 coaching changes in the caa this offseason 

12 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

It was a good win. Great halftime adjustments. Credit where it’s due. 

Turnovers helped in the second half. Jmu has at most 1 live ball turnover first half. We need to be able to run a bit and get cheap buckets. 

Fobbs, like mike and Zane last year, should pretty much just keep shooting. 

Jmu is such a long team. Their top 3 are very good. How they are that bad is beyond me. Might be 3 coaching changes in the caa this offseason 

I agree that coaching is an issue. I don't get why Matt Lewis is not a star. They have size, length though not a great point guard. Mosley can shoot you in games and shoot you out of them. One thing I appreciate about Skerry, though he can be incredibly impatient with it, if you continue to take bad shots or turn the ball over, you are not going to play. Howard pulls up for a 25-footer and shoots an air ball. He sat moments later. You better make that shot if you are going to pull up on a break. I think their lack of discipline is a reason they underachieve.