Jump to content
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

Interesting team stats

Recommended Posts

With the season coming into the homestretch (only 6 regular season games left), we are:

Last in the conference in scoring offense;

2nd to last in FT%;

3rd to last in FG%;

2nd to last in 3-pt FG%;

Last in assists;

Last in assists to TO ratio;

and last in 3-pt FG’s made

Frankly, it’s remarkable we’re currently as high as 6th place.

 I suppose if you’re a glass half full person, you could say we’re overachieving & PS is doing a good job with the materials he has.

Or, if you’re a glass half empty person, you could say the PS offensive model of throw it up on the glass & grab a lot of offensive rebounds isn’t working & he needs to recruit better shooters/scorers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn’t realize it was that bad. Seems like talent is the issue this season although Skerry ball does have something to do with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

With the season coming into the homestretch (only 6 regular season games left), we are:

Last in the conference in scoring offense;

2nd to last in FT%;

3rd to last in FG%;

2nd to last in 3-pt FG%;

Last in assists;

Last in assists to TO ratio;

and last in 3-pt FG’s made

Frankly, it’s remarkable we’re currently as high as 6th place.

 I suppose if you’re a glass half full person, you could say we’re overachieving & PS is doing a good job with the materials he has.

Or, if you’re a glass half empty person, you could say the PS offensive model of throw it up on the glass & grab a lot of offensive rebounds isn’t working & he needs to recruit better shooters/scorers. The same stallball formula that helped them get to the Final Four wasn't going to get them back with new shotclock and with the talent they had on attack. They just didn't have a Ryan Drenner to control things. But they have Zach Goodrich, Jimmy Wilkerson, Koby Smith, Jake McLean, who have speed to burn.

 

On a positive note:

 

3rd in scoring defense

1st in field goal percentage defense

1st in rebounding margin (29th in nation)

3rd in blocked shots

1st in offensive rebounds

Bad: second to last in attendance with 1,949 games and we've also played the least amount of home games at 9.

I'll be the first to admit the lack of winning along with the lack of offensive excitement is not attractive to home fans. You're not going to get many superstars at this level but playing a more uptempo and pressing style with a higher scoring average would help. Maybe not for this team with only eight healthy players but in the future. Look what men's lacrosse decided to do before the new rules about the shotclock. They said let's pump up the volume on shots and use our athletes on the midfield and defense to create more transition. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, we only average 1,278 per game at home. Only Drexel, at 1,212 a game, NE, at 1,105 a game, are worse. No other team in the conference averages less than 1,839 (Elon-with a new gym) per home game. 3 schools, C of C, UNCW & W&M, average 3X attendance per game as we do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My hope is that every year we are not going to finish near the bottom of the country in pace of play. Last year, we finished 163rd so we are capable of playing faster but that led to a mediocre team because we weren't on the same page and were terrible in the clutch. Attendance was just a bit better at 1,500+ but that's even after we won 10 straight games and had a star player in Zane Martin. So it kind of shows there's only so much you can at this school when it comes to getting people out to games. You need to show them consistent winning, exciting basketball and give the fans another reason to come out other than hoops. And we still probably wouldn't draw more than 2,500 a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Actually, we only average 1,278 per game at home. Only Drexel, at 1,212 a game, NE, at 1,105 a game, are worse. No other team in the conference averages less than 1,839 (Elon-with a new gym) per home game. 3 schools, C of C, UNCW & W&M, average 3X attendance per game as we do.

Right, I was looking at total attendance, not home attendance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fwiw, the schools with the worst attendance (TU, NE & Drexel) are all in major metropolitan areas with professional sports teams. Meanwhile, the schools with the best attendance (C of C, UNCW & W&M) have no pro sports teams in close proximity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Fwiw, the schools with the worst attendance (TU, NE & Drexel) are all in major metropolitan areas with professional sports teams. Meanwhile, the schools with the best attendance (C of C, UNCW & W&M) have no pro sports teams in close proximity 

True but Drexel and NE are in the city, not 10 minutes out. The key to success other than success on the court is to one day, get the students to the games. Every game when the students are on campus (not including minimester), in football and basketball (maybe lax when the weather gets warm in late March, early April) is to give away something special to get the students to come. X-box, free books, free food from local establishment or super market. Have to bribe them to come. Maybe improved halftime shows. Free stuff when a team goal is reached like 75 points or holds a team under 40% shooting or blocks 10 shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Average home attendance last year was 1,564. Many factors in play: lack of big name home opponents, competition for the hearts & minds of fans, very apathetic students, & the product on the floor.

 At the risk of being pessimistic, unless we become a consistent top-tier conference team, which goes dancing 🕺 every now and then, I can’t see us climbing above 1,500 per game. Even then, I think the ceiling is probably 2K or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Footer title

This content can be configured within your theme settings in your ACP. You can add any HTML including images, paragraphs and lists.

Footer title

This is an example of a list.

Footer title

This content can be configured within your theme settings in your ACP. You can add any HTML including images, paragraphs and lists.

Footer title

This content can be configured within your theme settings in your ACP. You can add any HTML including images, paragraphs and lists.

×