• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

Interesting team stats

If we can get 5-6,000 people in a football stadium (even over 8,300 in 2013), there's no reason why we can't get an average of 2,500 at a beautiful still new arena. In 2013-14, we averaged over 2,500. In 2014-15, we averaged 2,100. In 2015-16, it was around 1,900. In 2016-17 it was 1,819, so it has been decreasing year-after-year.

Interesting. Forgive me if I sound like I’m bashing PS, but this yearly decline suggests that potential fans view the program as being in a rut, along with the often joyless product on the court. Let’s face it, it is sometimes difficult to watch PS teams struggle to shoot & to fight, scratch and claw to get to 60 points. I took a guest to the game yesterday, and it was quite evident the style of play (of both teams) was acting as a drag on his desire to attend future games. He even (correctly as it turned out) said at one point “1st team to 60 wins.”

If we’re down 1K fans a game from where we were just a few years ago, that’s basically a total drop of 13K over the whole season (1K per game X 13 home games). That has to translate to a real, tangible decrease in revenue. At $10 a head that’s $130,000. (I just picked $10 a head; maybe it’s less, maybe not).

Is anyone in administration paying any attention to this? Buehler, Buehler?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mat1992 said:

True but Drexel and NE are in the city, not 10 minutes out. The key to success other than success on the court is to one day, get the students to the games. Every game when the students are on campus (not including minimester), in football and basketball (maybe lax when the weather gets warm in late March, early April) is to give away something special to get the students to come. X-box, free books, free food from local establishment or super market. Have to bribe them to come. Maybe improved halftime shows. Free stuff when a team goal is reached like 75 points or holds a team under 40% shooting or blocks 10 shots.

Mat, we've been around long enough to know that none of that works even if it does for a minute. I love this place, watching my students do well, but eventually we gotta own up to the fact that we could have kept the Towson Center, upgraded it for the original $5mil it was gonna cost and saved the rest of the students money since Gary Neale's squad in 06 outdrew most of the SECU teams. That being written this team is kind of fun for being so unsuccessful most of the time. 

12 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Interesting. Forgive me if I sound like I’m bashing PS, but this yearly decline suggests that potential fans view the program as being in a rut, along with the often joyless product on the court. Let’s face it, it is sometimes difficult to watch PS teams struggle to shoot & to fight, scratch and claw to get to 60 points. I took a guest to the game yesterday, and it was quite evident the style of play (of both teams) was acting as a drag on his desire to attend future games. He even (correctly as it turned out) said at one point “1st team to 60 wins.”

We are never going average more than 1,800 or so until a lot changes. Lets be honest, a good bit of the late PK era games had way more students than they get in there now. I mean check in with the nerds over in Catonsville. Brand new arena, coming off the biggest upset in NCAA tournament history, they don't draw either. The Maryland area is very fickle when it comes to sports. Win and they will show (sort of) lose and it'll be empty.  The disorganization of the student seats/sections also adds to this. Our scheduling is awful, as Pat likes to get fat on D2/D3/NAIA and MEAC schools.  Boring.  I am for 2 for 1s with A10/AAC schools.  There isn't any reason we shouldn't play 2 A10 teams each year. We are also in the same geographic footprint of the MAAC, NEC and AM East. Loved playing Vermont this year.  I know everyone on here loves playing the local teams. But UMBC, Loyola, Morgan, Coppin do nothing for us, or me, as a program.   YAWN. Get Navy, Mount, Philly schools, DC schools etc.  

Our game Saturday was our FIRST home Saturday game with students on campus and just our 3rd home Saturday game overall. The only other games while students were on campus were, a Sunday against Wesley (Hahah), the Sunday after Thanksgiving against Loyola (another joke) and then a Friday night against Vermont.

So 2 Sunday games during the NFL season and a Friday night. Yes, that will draw the crowds..  

Marketing, promotions, food, pre/in/halftime game are awful. There is so much dead air and space.

Some even crazier stats:

Only 11 Teams shoot less 3's than Towson

Only 23 make less 3's than Towson

304th In FT Attempts

344th in Steals/Game 

328th in Steals/Play

But we do get 34.7% of our misses which is 17th.

352nd in turnovers created per game which is crazy, considering all of the turnovers against us seem to be offensive fouls and not live ball